Any runners 207lb and over running less than 30 mins for 5K?

TMattP
TMattP Posts: 49 Member
Hello.

I'm 207lb. I've lost over a stone with MFP and I've been running regularly since about October 2013 when I finished C25K.

My 5K times have been coming down steadily for the last month but I'm wondering if there is a limit I'm going to reach. I'm currently running around the 9:15 min mile mark with 28 minutes for a 5K.

A mate who's about 12 stone is running 26 minute 5K's and he's struggling to get any faster.

I know there are training plans to increase speed but I'm wondering if the bulk I'm carrying is simply going to stop any further improvement when I get to a certain level.

I'm interested in people's opinions on this subject.

Replies

• cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Interesting topic.

Im currently at 235lbs (16.7 stones) and am halfway through C25K.

Im currently just trying to get to running longer than 15 minutes, but my pace when running is 12min/mile. So, Id be thrilled with you're time. My goal is to run a 5K in Sept at 30-31 minutes.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    I'm about 240lb. My last 5k was just under 27 minutes and my last half marathon was two hours, nine minutes. I know I could be faster if I worked at it, but I heretofore have been working only on endurance, not speed. Last week, I picked one of the free workouts on Runkeeper (that's the app I've been using) that's supposed to help with speed. It has me running "strides" in many/most of my workouts. Time will tell if it makes a difference. Good luck to you.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    ran 20:37 weighing 212. so whats the point of this thread? you can be bigger and still put out good times
  • TMattP
    Interesting topic.

Im currently at 235lbs (16.7 stones) and am halfway through C25K.

Im currently just trying to get to running longer than 15 minutes, but my pace when running is 12min/mile. So, Id be thrilled with you're time. My goal is to run a 5K in Sept at 30-31 minutes.

Hi.

Thanks for replying.

My goal when I was doing c25k was also just to finish it. The mistake I made was not using MFP and eating all the calories back. Since I've stopped doing that the weight has started to come off. I'm sure you will reach your target time.
  • TMattP
    ran 20:37 weighing 212. so whats the point of this thread? you can be bigger and still put out good times

That's great. So what you're saying is that you can get fit enough to run faster and still be pretty big. I've started doing 5k races and all the guys who win are tiny. I don't want to be tiny.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Different people will have different aerobic limits - a certain point were getting faster is going to require a lot more work. A couple years ago I ran a 5k in 25 mins at 238 lbs. I also ran a half marathon in 2h30m at 258 lbs with barely any running in the last month before the race (due to a toe injury).
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member

That's great. So what you're saying is that you can get fit enough to run faster and still be pretty big. I've started doing 5k races and all the guys who win are tiny. I don't want to be tiny.
    yes this is true. There is a limit were weight will be a factor. You'll never see any Olympic sprinters weighing in the 200s..lol

It is based on VO2max which is measured by mL/(kg·min)
    As you can see, the lighter you are, the faster you'll go at the same vo2max
  • hdesandre
    hdesandre Posts: 3
    I'm not 207lbs or over, but what worked best for me with time improvement was buying a running watch that gave me the ability to race myself. I chose the TomTom Runner but there are many competitors out there. Some of my friends use Garmin and it has the same ability. Now, when I want to work on pace, I use that setting and I can either set a goal time to finish, or race against my best time. It works like a charm to push me just a little farther.
  • TMattP

yes this is true. There is a limit were weight will be a factor. You'll never see any Olympic sprinters weighing in the 200s..lol

Well I suppose, but I guess the sprinters are in their own little bubble of existence. All the distance runners are tiny.

I do wonder what Usain Bolt's 5 and 10K times are.
  • TMattP
    I'm not 207lbs or over, but what worked best for me with time improvement was buying a running watch that gave me the ability to race myself. I chose the TomTom Runner but there are many competitors out there. Some of my friends use Garmin and it has the same ability. Now, when I want to work on pace, I use that setting and I can either set a goal time to finish, or race against my best time. It works like a charm to push me just a little farther.

I use a Garmin Device. It has a virtual partner that I've been gradually speeding up. Gives me something to aim for.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    My last half marathon was about 6 weeks ago at about 205, and I managed an 8:49 pace.
  • thavoice

• 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    It is definitely possible as others have stated. I could do about 26 minute 5K at 235 with 30% body fat.

I'm now at 195 ish and did 5 miles in 38:30 last week. I mostly lift and play soccer and run once a week. So keep at it, you can do it.

I found I got faster as I lost body fat and gained some strength in deadlift and squat. However, I'm not training at all for distance. I just run the 1 or 2 times per week as best I can for 40 minutes. I don't follow any program for running because that is not my focus, but the programs from experts like C25K seem to work. I just run. I speed up and slow down alot to make it a bit like soccer.
  • thavoice

the more you run it the easier it becomes which in turn makes you faster. i did a half at am 8:01 pace while at 210. you do not need to be tiny to be fast. fast is a relative term.a though
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    The lean winners thing won't change really when it comes to longer distance running...running is a battle against gravity. When running over longer distances Leaner, Lighter = Faster (less energy in movement, less energy for cooling, etc). But you don't have to be "tiny tiny" to win. Extend your weekly mileage a bit and speed will come. Keep some strength training to make sure your losses are more body fat and less lean mass.
    ONce you get that weekly mileage extended,maybe try reading a bit of Matt Fitzgerald's work (Racing Weight) if you become interested in competing in distances :)
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    I'm running between a 28 and 28:45 5K right now at 260. I've found increasing my cardio in the evening has made a huge difference as to by lung capacity. For me - it's all oxygen levels. The muscle in my legs doesn't have a problem - it's my wind intake that makes the difference.

You might up your cardio in addition to the running. High Intensity Elliptical, Fartleking, Swimming, cycling or something similar as long as it's High Intensity.

Don't know - I think you can always improve speed... but we'll see. I want to break the 9 minute barrier right now. I'm between 9:15 and 9:30 at the moment. I haven't raced a 5K before though - I run so much faster when I am with a pack.

Don't know if it helps or not...

... but to the guy working through C25K - keep it up bro!! It works. Flat out. I started with that, and I'm training for a half marathon right now. C25K made me a runner.
  • jtimdyer
    jtimdyer Posts: 1
    im 227 and ran a 5k with my trainer buddy on this past 4th of July...
    I did no training and ran in 23:30. im 38 years old fyi
    i was pushing hard and in no way was it pretty.

as i lose some weight (217 now) with diet and exercise id be interested to see how close to the 20 min mark i could get.
    who knows, plus as a hockey player i am used to getting from point A to ppoint B by gliding ...lol
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    I typically am around 195 and run about a 21:00 5k. That usually puts me in the top 5 in the M 40-45 AG in smaller local races but maybe only the top %25 in larger fields with more talented runners.

I've read that you can shave about 2 seconds per pound per mile so long as you're losing fat and not muscle. It's probably a fairly accurate estimate.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    I read somewhere that all things being equal, you should shave a minute off your 5K time for every 10 lbs you lose.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    It's been a while since I was 200+lb but looking back through my track logs I was consistently hitting sub 6 min kms between 200 and 220lb.

Lighter than that I did get a lot faster, but the big improvement was endurance, ie holding the 5:15-5:30 pace for 10km or more.

Are you using a sports tracker? Many of them have bolt-on training programmes that are worthwhile.