Don't be this person at the gym.

Options

Replies

• Ness7891
    Ness7891 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey. If you didn't like what I had to say, well you know where the door is. No one forced you to respond (yet you cared enough to anyway). It's an internet forum in a subsection with the words "chit-chat" in it.. Deal with it. Or get out. The choice is yours. But I'm sure you'll utilize common sense and make the right one.

Hey, if you don't like what we had to say, well you know where the door is. No one forced you to post in a public forum (yet you cared enough to anyway). It's an internet forum in a subsection with the words "chit-chat" in it, so people might respond and you might not like their answer. Deal with it. Or get out. The choice is yours. But I'm sure you'll utilize common sense and make the right one."

Post fail. Never implied or said that I didn't like what anyone had to say (why make the thread then? think about it)

And come up with your own crackback LOL. Don't be a scrub.
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You nailed it. I liked your post.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    OP - I get what your point is - don't be an annoying boor who chews people's ears off. :) I know people like that. Thinking about this thread got to to remember when I was a young cashier in a small market and my boss got mad because I would stand around after an order was completed and talk to the customers who hung around cause they had nothing better to do. I really didn't want to stand there talking to them, (but I didn't want to go do something else either, lol.) He blamed me for not ending the conversation and told me that he wasn't paying me to be someone's companion. Sigh...I just couldn't figure out how to get out of it...lol. I still have that happen to me on the phone when people call me at work to ask about one of our listings -the next thing I know i'm listening to their entire life story....

that same thing happened to me when i was a bartender. people would just start talking to me and never stop and i didnt know how to get out of it cause i was stuck behind the bar. in the end my boss was pissed at me for standing around talking instead of working - as if i wanted that!! lol

some people just have a hard time getting away when they really really want to, out of politeness i guess.

Sorry that happened to both of you. Poor Management on your bosses part. When I got my very first job at a Sales Counter in high school, one of the first things they taught us was how to politely extracate yourself from a conversation with someone that just wouldn't stop..I still use that training to this day!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    644139_466232913419379_644247516_n.jpg
  • Ness7891
    Ness7891 Posts: 26
    Options
    You must be of that "offended crowd"

Offended because two grown adults have a 2 hour conversation that appears one sided.

Offended because someone here suggests that maybe it isn't what you perceive.

Not sure what you are asking but maybe you should just sit back and listen to what others are saying, or simply get over it.

I don't think anyone here cares except you.

Sorry if that offends you.

Offends me? I think you're assuming an awful lot.

If I was the only that cared then why did you respond? :happy:

Probably because your thread title is "Don't be this person at the gym" So we all thought it would actually be about someone interfering with your workout. Instead it is you being concerned with a stranger's conversations. Plus it's a public forum, and most of us are killing some time. So our posts aren't about caring about your situation, ours are about telling you we don't understand why you care about two random strangers interactions.
    So if it doesn't directly relate to me, then an idea can't be expressed? Wait, what? Like I said, I never mentioned once what I witnessed was 100% as it was perceived to be. The main point is not to be "that guy" at the gym. My initial post was a catalyst to a bigger idea. Not just caring about two people's conversations for the sake of caring about two people's conversations.

Not at all, it can absolutely be expressed, and I am just attempting to open up another point of view. I just not sure what "that guy" is. If you don't know the specifics of the conversation, or the situation then how is what he is doing annoying, or why does it annoy you? I guess for me I wouldn't see the situation you saw and think "That guy is an *kitten*" I might wonder what they spent so much time talking about. I guess I would only say "Don't be like this person" if it actually affected me, my workout, or was some violation of gym ettiquette. That's all..not trying to ruffle feathers or get anyone's panties in a bunch. :flowerforyou:
    Well thanks for sharing your point of view.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sorry that happened to both of you. Poor Management on your bosses part. When I got my very first job at a Sales Counter in high school, one of the first things they taught us was how to politely extracate yourself from a conversation with someone that just wouldn't stop..I still use that training to this day!

please teach me :D
  • twiggypal
    twiggypal Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If he stands there and listens then upto him. If it were me I would have banned his *kitten* from the gym and booted him down the stairs. a grip must be got at all times right
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I wear headphones, stare straight ahead (except when Yoga pants come into view .......I am only Human!), get my workout in, get out.
    THIS way I never have to worry about "That Guy" at the gym. Unless they try and talk to me, then I just pretend to be from another country
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

They always told us to make it their idea. Use phrases like "I don't want to keep you all day, I'll let you get back to business, You sound so busy I won't keep you" Based on whatever they were telling you, you could turn it back to make it seem like they didn't have time to talk to you. I used "You have your hands full and work so hard, It's nice you have some free time to shop, be sure to check out such and such over there" Usually redirection and suggestion works wonderful. For a bartender I can imagine redirecting them by telling them some other girl has been eyeing them all night might help!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hey. If you didn't like what I had to say, well you know where the door is. No one forced you to respond (yet you cared enough to anyway). It's an internet forum in a subsection with the words "chit-chat" in it.. Deal with it. Or get out. The choice is yours. But I'm sure you'll utilize common sense and make the right one.

Hey, if you don't like what we had to say, well you know where the door is. No one forced you to post in a public forum (yet you cared enough to anyway). It's an internet forum in a subsection with the words "chit-chat" in it, so people might respond and you might not like their answer. Deal with it. Or get out. The choice is yours. But I'm sure you'll utilize common sense and make the right one."

Post fail. Never implied or said that I didn't like what anyone had to say (why make the thread then? think about it)

And come up with your own crackback LOL. Don't be a scrub.

You never even implied you didn't like what anyone had to say?!? :laugh: Life fail.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    644139_466232913419379_644247516_n.jpg

Awesome. Internet meme time.

jVxYoRJjvm6YD.jpg

Is this your equivalence of saying "My penis is bigger than yours."? Grow up man. Who gives two crap what someone else isdoing if it's not directly affecting you. If the guy at the counter didn't want this guy talking his ear off for 2 or more hours, he would have maned up and told him to get lost. You're just showing how pathetic of a person you are by posting on a rather anonymous forum on the internet, hiding behind a screen and keyboard, basically saying "I'm better than this guy."

You must feel good about yourself now.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    in fairness...judging by the color of your respective skins there is a good chance his is bigger than yours...
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Maybe the guy who works there has been depressed lately and has been going through a hard time, so his mate was hanging out with him for a shift to try and keep him company?

They didn't seem like buddies. Their age gap was quite significant. And they don't look like they'd be spotted kickin it on the streets. It would be like Bill Clinton hanging out with Kanye West. I see the same clerk most nights. The other guy, I don't think I've ever seen him there ever.

It's nice to take the glass half-full approach. But if you were there, and had been going there for as long as I have, I think you'd have a better idea of what I was talking about. This may be difficult for you to accept, but some people are just windbags. Not trying to be mean, just stating the facts.

Yea. And then some people like to come and complain to the internet about it.

Get over it, you never know the full story. Also, given that the clerk is a grown up and able to tie his shoes in a morning and get himself off to work, he's probably more than capable of distracting and detering anyone making him uncomfortable.
    Right, because I'm sure you've waltzed through life never complaining about anything ever unless you know the 100% truth about any specific situation in it's complete and unequivocal context. What is your secret really?

Mnaw. Bless you.

Maybe you should change the title of your post to "Don't talk to anyone who doesn't look like they suit your demographic because some judgemental *kitten*-hole will indeed judge you for talking to someone who looks like you should have nothing in common." Because essentially, that's what it boils down to.

From all your responses to people who disagree with you, it looks like you're from the school of thought of "my way or the high-way". I'd choose highway, to be honest. What a bore.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Anyone who's ever been trapped and had to listening to a windbag go on ad nauseam knows what you are talking about OP. Whether or not this was the actual case in this instance is irrelevant. Don't be that guy.
  • SpicesOfLife
    Options
    Anyone who's ever been trapped and had to listening to a windbag go on ad nauseam knows what you are talking about OP. Whether or not this was the actual case in this instance is irrelevant. Don't be that guy.

QFT
  • SpicesOfLife
    Options

They always told us to make it their idea. Use phrases like "I don't want to keep you all day, I'll let you get back to business, You sound so busy I won't keep you" Based on whatever they were telling you, you could turn it back to make it seem like they didn't have time to talk to you. I used "You have your hands full and work so hard, It's nice you have some free time to shop, be sure to check out such and such over there" Usually redirection and suggestion works wonderful. For a bartender I can imagine redirecting them by telling them some other girl has been eyeing them all night might help!

i will have to try this in action, thanks. ;)
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've worked front counters of several gyms off and on since college. I can not tell you how many conversations I've gotten stuck in. Even had one guy show me his plantar wart he got at the showers--that's why you wear flip flops!!!! But yeah, I was always too nice and got trapped.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Why did you care so much to even be paying attention? The clerk could have enjoyed that conversation.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like the op, I had a hard time finding someone to feel superior to yesterday also. I was grasping for straws, trying to find 2 randos doing something that had nothing to do with me, that was just vague enough for me to read into so I could walk away, patting myself on the back, and stroking my ego at a medium pace thinking about how together I had everything. It was rough.

But then this morning I log onto the Internet and BAM! This forum post popped up.

It's gonna be a good day for self-esteem, kids.