Bananas after cardio?

I fell off the wagon for a little bit and am starting my cardio back up. I'm starting back up with high resistance on the elliptical for about 30 minutes 5 days a week. After, I make one medium egg with about a two tbl spoons of egg beaters egg whites with a couple strawberries and a banana for my after cardio meal BUT I'm wondering if the banana is a good idea since the carbs are high? Definitely need some opinions and guidance on this!

Thanks everybody :happy: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    If you don't have a medical reason to restrict bananas or carbs then enjoy as long as you don't go over your calorie limit.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Bananas are good for you. There is nothing wrong with consuming carbs as long as you are getting adequate protein and fat. Meal and nutrition timing, in general, are a matter of personal preference.
  • Bananas slow down your metabolism so be careful of how many you eat, if you're trying to lose weight.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    I'm just copying and pasting what I wrote in another thread because it applies here:

The main macros you should focus on are protein (.8 - 1 grams per pound of body weight) and fat (.4 grams per pound of body weight). Carbs are delicious and should not be avoided, but there isn't a minimum/maximum limit you need to worry about - unless carbs make you extra hangry.

In other words - eat the banana and don't worry about it. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Bananas slow down your metabolism so be careful of how many you eat, if you're trying to lose weight.

That is NOT true.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Why are you worried about carbs in the first place? They are just a means of fuelling your body, whether you get that from cakes, fast food, pasta or bananas.

I personally always have bananas before the gym because they give me a good boost. They are rich in vitamin B6, potassium, fiber... seriously, it's not all about the carbs! Enjoy :flowerforyou:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    If you look at where your body draws energy, it's from carbs. Any post workout meal you do should involve carbs because that's what your body needs immediately, while protein can actually wait 1-3 hours post-workout since your body uses it more for recovery.
    Unless you're eating a purposely low-carb diet for some reason, your banana certainly isn't a bad decision.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    I typically dont have any certain post cardio meall/snack that I eat. I do cardio to lose weight so I am not going to put more calories into my body just as a post cardio refuel.
    I understand elite athletes do this but they arent really interested in losing weight.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Bananas slow down your metabolism so be careful of how many you eat, if you're trying to lose weight.
    :huh:

Eat the banana. They don't put them out for runners after races for no good reason. Good vitamins and minerals in those babies.
  • thavoice

Oh really?

They slow down metabolism huh.

Guess that is why see so many overweight monkeys........
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member

Probably not the best of first posts :noway:
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member

Strong first post.
  • 7deadly
    7deadly Posts: 23 Member

Evidence for this?
    It is simply not true.
  • thavoice
    People's elaborate after workout meals always make chuckle. Not that they're bad or anything they're just always so specific and even ritualistic. My after workout meals always seem to be a protein bar. Am I the only one who doesn't want to spend 15-20 minutes cooking right after I've worked out?

I just eat at a normal time and not necessarily after a workout. I rarely have anything within an hour or two of any workout actually.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member

Mmmm....NOPE.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Why do people eat right after they work out? This seems so counter productive to me... unless you are working out to earn the calories to eat something that actually tastes good.... I do that. Love the "is it worth the calories" questions. I didn't just walk 3 miles to have another celery stick guys. :P I walked 3 miles for a friggen bowl of chips.
  • ckrvarma
    ckrvarma Posts: 6
    where did u read that? Bananas slowing down the metabolism? wow...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    People's elaborate after workout meals always make chuckle. Not that they're bad or anything they're just always so specific and even ritualistic. My after workout meals always seem to be a protein bar. Am I the only one who doesn't want to spend 15-20 minutes cooking right after I've worked out?

I just eat at a normal time and not necessarily after a workout. I rarely have anything within an hour or two of any workout actually.

Exactly. There's not super special about specific post workout food as long as you are getting what you need through out the day.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Carbs are awesome after a workout. I have chocolate milk since I normally don't feel like eating right away. Or cooking.