Should I keep cutting or bulk? (Pics)

Options
Need some advice. I am 31 and peaked around 260lbs in my mid 20s. Dropped to 185 just paying a little more attention to what I eat and working in construction. I stayed in that range for a few years. Now I've been on a cut more or less for the past 21 months or so, and down about 45lbs in that time. I actually never started counting calories until the scale stalled at 145lbs, back in Feb. I have been counting since that time and am at 140lbs today. Despite little progress on the scale I have seen some visual progress. It's like my body refuses to drop below 140lbs. I still can hardly believe I'm down to 140, as I weighed 140 in the 4th grade. I'm 5' 11" and I think I have a fairly decent muscle base especially considering I've never done weight lifting, but there is obviously much room to improve muscle. I started this cut ignorant of the proper way to do it unfortunately, but I do work in construction doing heavy labor so I believe that helped make up for the fact I didn't lift at all. I am probably stronger overall than an average 140lb guy, but I recognize I need to lift to reach my goals. I have started doing some minor lifting over the past 4 weeks while revamping my cut (1821 calories/day BTW) and have seen fat loss, but it's been increasingly hard on me to function at work and have any energy to lift.

So that's why I'm asking what to do at this point... What will be the best use of my time and energy with the goal of looking better? I don't have a weight goal or want to be a body builder, I just want to look good with good muscle and strength. I've continued trying to cut because I can't stand the fat still on my belly and probably like most former fat people I fear gaining weight (being fat again) after the effort to get where I'm at. Some days I feel like I've come this far, so just keep cutting to get rid of that fat - THEN bulk, but then other days I'm just tired of it and feel like maybe it's the wrong choice. I have taken a few breaks and there was obviously some periods in there where my deficit was probably very small as progress was slow. I know I'm dealing with a combo of skin not yet adjusted and some fat still hanging around on my belly. It just sucks to weigh so little and still have fat.

So, which way should I go?

DSC037951_zpsc21e4dd4.jpg
DSC038011_zpsb901687f.jpg
DSC038071_zps130f4bc9.jpg
DSC038101_zps4257c52e.jpg
DSC038121_zps1cda5f21.jpg
DSC038291_zps60045288.jpg
DSC038271_zps7112f655.jpg

Replies

• theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats. You look awesome.

If I were in your shoes, I would bulk.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I agree, I think it would be beneficial to bulk as well.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Bulk.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    definitely bulk, but I wouldn't go straight into a 500+ surplus.
    slowly up your calories, if you can start strength training as it will help your body comp most, and keep it around maintenance [higher].

At least, that is what I would do.
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Definitely bulk. I don't think you have too much fat left, that just looks like skin to me.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bulk up. You have very little fat left to lose. As you put on muscle the loose skin that you do have is going to tighten back up. For reference, my display pic is me at 5'10" and 166 pounds. If you bulked for an entire year at a modest half pound per week, you'd be about my size with roughly the same body fat. Halfway through you could do a 4 week cut if you aren't comfortable with a few extra pounds.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'd say bulk up from a woman's point of view. 140 is too low for 5'11". My almost 16yr old weighs that and he's around 5'9". I worry he's too skinny.
  • elizabethmcneill1
    Options
    Looking really good, well done! However, If I were you, I would begin to bulk. You clearly have the discipline to cut, so you would have the control to clean bulk:). I'm 5'10 and 150 as a girl, and I don't worry about the number of the scales. You will see changes that either appeal to your eye, or not. Try bulking a bit and see:). Your will become stronger with the extra calories, and more energetic and positive:). At the end of the day, do what you feel happiest and most confortable at:)
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    11f7885eacf633912284777db7875268cb5b227f16a54ba3f453d7d893ef8e99.jpg
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You look around 8-10% BF. Start bulking up.
  • mrastaffordML
    Options
    I'd reccomend bulking too.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Bulk!
  • Shackleford83
    Shackleford83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the replies. I was significantly over weight my entire life up to this point and it was always a big issue for me. It's embarrassing to admit but I think I do have some body image issues as a result. Generally I can recognize the progress I've made, but sometimes all I can focus on and see is the fat that is still there. Getting some unbiased opinions is just what I needed and seems to be confirming what I suspected, so this has been helpful.
  • Kommander_Zod
    Options
    Lift and do a clean bulk.
    Increase your protein intake and lift heavy
    Skin will tighten up as you add muscle
  • ericfernandez9
    ericfernandez9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Without a question - bulk. That's too thin and doesn't look good. Add 10-20 pounds of muscle, let yourself gain a little fat and you will look 100% better. Another poster is right in that you should look to increase calories slowly - like +150 for 2 weeks, another 150 for another 2 weeks and monitor your progress. Good luck.
  • Kommander_Zod
    Options
    I started this cut ignorant of the proper way to do it unfortunately, but I do work in construction doing heavy labor so I believe that helped make up for the fact I didn't lift at all.

Never cut without lifting, that was the lesson that needed to be learned. Still, I am very proud of your achievements bro! You're more than halfway there in my opinion!
  • Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    another vote for bulk
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Without a question - bulk. That's too thin and doesn't look good. Add 10-20 pounds of muscle, let yourself gain a little fat and you will look 100% better. Another poster is right in that you should look to increase calories slowly - like +150 for 2 weeks, another 150 for another 2 weeks and monitor your progress. Good luck.
    My thoughts too, you are on the verge of unhealthy looking skinny, you surely dont see that skin as fat i hope.If you do you need to see a doctor. Your right about possibly having a skewed body image, i know its scary to think of purposely bulking after youve been heavy,but i think youll like the results of added muscle and filling in the skin.
  • ecphillips1286
    ecphillips1286 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Bulk up buddy. That skin will tighten. You have very little body fat to burn. Bulk healthy and keep up with the progress you have made. Good luck!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I think its unanimous! Time to ramp up those calories (I'd suggest slowly given that you've been in a deficit for a long time), and put on some mass!