Counting calories CAN be pointless

Options
12346»

Replies

• muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many people there are out here who are MORE active than you?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is a tool. I have many tools in my toolbox. If I'm driving a nail, I reach for a hammer but leave my screwdriver in the toolbox. Is it because the screwdriver is a bad tool? No. It is because I don't need it right then. On the other hand, the time will come when I do need that screwdriver. When I need it, I'll use it.

If you can accomplish your goals without counting calories, don't count them. If you find yourself losing control of your waistline, just know that tool is in the toolbox and this is a great place to learn how to use it wisely.
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Nope! I work out as much as you do and still gained weight because I wasn't counting or eating right. I dont think its important to be 100% accurate if you are maintaining, but it is important to have an idea so you don't gain weight
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to add I am 20 years old and not much older than you so this stuff can happen at an early age
  • gods_andmonsters
    Options
    I think calorie counting can be a good place to start, but after years of doing it I sometimes wish I could go back to what it was like to *not* know the calorie content of everything I eat.

I still don't know how to eat like a normal person! I mean, I know how to plan out and eat a well balanced diet for a day, but just naturally eating right when I'm hungry, indulging occasionally but not too often or too little, I still can't do it.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well the people who dont understand why they arnt losing weight tend to be the same people who are dont coumt calories

A coincidence?

I think not

No. People who count calories don't always lose weight either, often because of underestimating calories in or overestimating calories out. You have to eat less than you burn, that's it. There are a number of ways of achieving this, with calorie counting being one of those valuable tools.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    At 19 I lost 30 pounds not counting calories. It was easy. Then I gained it all back and more in 6 months.
  • musicjunkie67
    Options
    Have been counting my calories since I started my diet 1st July - allowing 1800-2000 calories per day. So far have lost 10lbs with which I am very pleased. Counting calories has really helped me achieve this, lots further to go yet but it's a good start.
  • EmmaEVille13
    EmmaEVille13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can't out lift or outrun a bad diet. I stopped counting calories and gained a lot of my weight back.

^^^^

This !
  • Aikigoth
    Aikigoth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Short answer: No, it is not pointless. And before you decided to go to paleo, vegetarian, vegan and low-glyemic sites and ask them the same question- no, their diet choices aren't pointless either.

Long answer: Humanity has survived on everything from seal meat & blubber to nearly animal-free diets. And we do well. We have top athletes that are vegan, paleo, calorie counters and whatever else you want to pick on. Those diets work for those people- they make them happy. But, oddly it is common for people under 30 (hey, that includes me too) to tote that there is only 'one way'.

Calorie counting is a great tool. Most people don't eat a 100% homemade diet. One box of yogurt at the store can have X2 the sugar than another and you might not know. For people looking to lose, gain or maintain weight it can be a helpful tool. True, if you aren't trying to lose weight you might not weight all your vegetables or measure out each tbsp of oil- you might just eyeball it.

There is no one 'best diet' or 'best exercise'. There is also no one best martial carrot, chocolate chip cookie recipe or car brand. Yes, some are better than others....but if you want nuts in your cookies then great, have at it. Just don't try to tell me mine are horrible or pointless.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I never count calories and I've lost all the weight I wanted and made my goal. I'm not wasting my time counting calories. Is that the way people want to spend the one life they have? But I don't run either. That eventually busts your knees. All the baby boomers have had to get new knees. They were runners too. It's also not good for the heart.

But yes, counting calories is just stupid. Doing it once or twice to see where you're at is fine.

There is soooo much ignorance in this post.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is a tool. I have many tools in my toolbox. If I'm driving a nail, I reach for a hammer but leave my screwdriver in the toolbox. Is it because the screwdriver is a bad tool? No. It is because I don't need it right then. On the other hand, the time will come when I do need that screwdriver. When I need it, I'll use it.

If you can accomplish your goals without counting calories, don't count them. If you find yourself losing control of your waistline, just know that tool is in the toolbox and this is a great place to learn how to use it wisely.
    maybe calorie counting thinks you're a tool. ever think of that?

eta; in all srsness this guy nailed it