Low Carb advice needed...PLEASE!!!!

Options
Ok - so part of me knows that I'm slightly freaking out, but this is so new and so different from what I've tried before, and I've got alot of people around me doing very different mostly low calorie diets, that is what's making me wonder. My coach is out on vacation otherwise I'd ask him.

Cal 1500
Sugar 21
Carb 152
Fat 74
Protien 86

Cal 1800
Sug 45
Carb 92
Fat 136
prot 90

cal 1200 (today isn't finished, but I thawed chicken for supper.
sug 28
Carb 50
fat 91
prot 70

I'm going pretty high on my calories and I can see I need to probably knock fat down a little (yes no?) But does this look right? if the goal is weight loss.

My stats are
CW 233
GW 180
Workout for 45 minutes 3-4 week. Circuit, weight lifting, tabata etc.

Sincerly I thank you for any help suggestions!!!

Replies

• supnicole
    supnicole Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been eating low-carb for 7 months with great success. In my opinion, you should decrease carbs and increase protein. 150g of carbs is too many for a low-carb diet unless you're carb cycling. Try to stay under (or close to) 50g net carbs.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    But the other numbers like my calories, honestly I hate to say it that's what I'm freaking about.

I know I need to up my protien a bit I think. but I'll get there.

100 g of carbs is a starting point that's what I want to stay under.
  • tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Your fat levels are extremely high, I don't eat 136g of fat even when i'm trying to put on weight. But its ok , try taking this approach 40 percent of your diet is carbs, 40 percent is protein, and 20 percent is fats. Then set a calorie amount that you want to hit for a day. lets say 1600 if your moderately active during the week.
    Think of it like this Fat is 9 calories per gram, while carbs, and protein are only 4 calories per gram, so if you stick to a 40/40/20 macro nutrient split, you should be able to keep your fat levels down while still maintaining a filling, healthy diet that will launch you into an awesome fat loss realm.
    Make sure you are doing some cardio exercise, as well as maintaining a high volume weightlifting regime, to really maximize results.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster - that is a lot of fat. Finding lower fat protein options will help you a lot.

For example, yesterday you ate a total of 13 ounces of high-fat meat. And you also had a snack that included 5 Tablespoons of peanut butter. If you just cut that to a true serving of PB (2 Tblsp) that alone would have cut more than 250 calories and 20 grams of fat out of your day.

If you want to eat low carb, you need to get more lean protein or your calories can't help but be high. Turkey, chicken, low fat dairy, eggs. You can still have some brisket or peanut butter too, but watch the portion size.

I'm not good at figuring out proper calorie levels (it took me awhile to figure out mine) but it seems a lot of your calories are going to high fat proteins. So I bet focusing on getting them leaner will help bring your calories down if you need to. Good luck!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    OTOH I'm losing too fast (>2.5 lbs/week) on 1800 cals/d at 25% protein 40% fat 35% carbs. Go figure.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Go here and get your macros and go from there.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    1500 seems really low. I used to be 230 and easily cut on 1800-2000 depending. Sorry I didn't answer your original q.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you eat low carb, then your fat and protein needs to be high...

But if there isn't a particular reason why you do low carb, then just find your deficit and set your macros to 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I don't think focusing too much on fat reduction is that important. In the 1960's, era of skinny people, the average diet was 45% fat.

The campaign against fat arose because high-fat diets correlated with heart disease. But it turns out it wasn't the high-fat that caused the heart disease, it was the trans-fat content within the dietary fat. But we still have a bias against "fat".

You don't want a diet that is routinely disproportionately high in fat because you need micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) that are not in the fat portion of your food, to make the calories you eat nutritionally worthwhile.

But that guy who recommended 20% fat--if you are on a low carb diet, that's very hard to achieve, plus it ignores a potential benefit of fat in making you feel full so that you stop eating at fewer calories.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

But if there isn't a particular reason why you do low carb, then just find your deficit and set your macros to 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat
    We are trying low carb because its seems as though nothing else is working, or sustainable.
  • tannatannabobanna
    Options
    That is because your fat levels are extremely high. Keep your fats low 55g a day, lean protein sources (no beef, pork, hotdogs) also try to cycle your carbs. 175-200g on high carb days, 150-175g to maintenance carb days, and 100-125g on low carb days. To low could make you constipated and lethargic. Carbs are excellent sorce of glycogen and energy, so if you are maintaining a good workout regimen this should be an easy fix to into weight loss.
    p.s get a digital food scale and weigh your food... it will so you how deceptive your eyes can be.
  • mrsbunbunbun
    mrsbunbunbun Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I agree.

I don't particularly look at Net Carbs, but overall carbs, and I have my macros set to 30/30/40 carbs/protein/fat. Mostly lower carb but still not driving myself crazy. I feel like I could eat like this indefinitely, and I'm losing 6-7lbs/month steadily without a tonne of crazy exercise, just walking and stretching type stuff.

I try really to shoot for carbs <30% and protein >30%. It may vary somewhat from day to day, but I work hard to make sure that by the end of the week, I hit where I should be overall. I also keep a running track weekly of how my macros were on paper. I had a lot of success in the beginning at 25/35/40 with more exercise, too, but I didn't stick with those for much more than a month. I'd rather find a happy balance I can maintain ongoing. 25-30 carb/30-35 protein/40-45 fat seems to be working for me.

Don't know if that helps!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    That is because your fat levels are extremely high. Keep your fats low 55g a day, lean protein sources (no beef, pork, hotdogs) also try to cycle your carbs. 175-200g on high carb days, 150-175g to maintenance carb days, and 100-125g on low carb days. To low could make you constipated and lethargic. Carbs are excellent sorce of glycogen and energy, so if you are maintaining a good workout regimen this should be an easy fix to into weight loss.
    p.s get a digital food scale and weigh your food... it will so you how deceptive your eyes can be.

OP has stated that they are trying to maintain a low carb diet of under 100g of carbs a day. Your advice is not helpful. Obviously, this isn't the macro structure you'd do yourself. But, there's no need to push inappropriate advice here.

High fat doesn't prevent weight loss. I'm averaging over 150g of fat every day, and losing steadily. You don't have to eat that much fat, no one is asking you to. But, don't keep suggesting that eating more than 55g of fat each day is a sure ticket to weight gain. That's just not true.

Edit: The constipated and lethargic if carbs are too low advice is just plain wrong. Seriously, I average 7g of carbs a day (that's not net... that's total carbs). I have no issues with either lack of energy or constipation. It takes a few weeks for your body to adapt, and transitory issues with regularity and energy may happen; but long term, neither of those are issues.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    But the other numbers like my calories, honestly I hate to say it that's what I'm freaking about.

I know I need to up my protien a bit I think. but I'll get there.

100 g of carbs is a starting point that's what I want to stay under.

You've averaged 1,500 calories a day for the three days. If this is your goal amount (according to your estimated TDEE), you're doing fine. I tend to focus on the weekly average, because I have high and low days. Swap some of those carbs for more protein. Don't be afraid to have plenty of fat. It's not going to harm you, if your calories are in line with your goals.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    All i count is calories, i eat low fat and carbs...but counting everything seems like alot of work
  • tannatannabobanna
    Options
    That great and all but if she is not seeing results like she previously stated her structure is wrong. Low carb, high carb, low fat, high fat, doesn't matter if shes not seeing results. I'm giving her a structure that has worked for many many people which is just another option than decreasing her carbs below 100g a day. Which is ridiculously unnecessary and unhealty to do for long periods of time. Also decreasing her fats will give her the ability to eat more food and feel more fulfilled throughout the day. At 9 calories per gram, why would you want to waste all your days calories on high fat foods??? Your giving her wrong advice, by telling her she needs to eat less carbs, but its ok to fill that calorie gap with more fat! More Protein, maintain carb intake, and decrease fats, you will see results.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Your fat levels are extremely high, I don't eat 136g of fat even when i'm trying to put on weight. But its ok , try taking this approach 40 percent of your diet is carbs, 40 percent is protein, and 20 percent is fats. Then set a calorie amount that you want to hit for a day. lets say 1600 if your moderately active during the week.
    Think of it like this Fat is 9 calories per gram, while carbs, and protein are only 4 calories per gram, so if you stick to a 40/40/20 macro nutrient split, you should be able to keep your fat levels down while still maintaining a filling, healthy diet that will launch you into an awesome fat loss realm.
    Make sure you are doing some cardio exercise, as well as maintaining a high volume weightlifting regime, to really maximize results.
    This except for the weight lifting part.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I prefer to call mine a high fat diet instead of low carb because that's where most of the calories in it come from.

Anyway, follow these four rules and you'll be fine.

- Limit your carbs to about 100 grams a day. Consider 150 your maximum on days you do go over.

- Eat somewhere between 1/2 to 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass depending on whether you work out or not.

- Make up the rest of your allotted calories with fat (all fats are fine except for trans-fats).

- Ignore people who tell you that eating fat is unhealthy and that you'll hurt your body by eating low carb. They're wrong, but are in denial about it and still adhering to old dietary rules that have been debunked. And don't expect your success and good health and good blood test numbers due to a high fat, low carb diet to change their minds. Believe me, it won't.
  • tannatannabobanna
    Options
    Dude seriously 7g of carbs per day, how grumpy are you??? Are you surviving on butter? Sorry bro but that is extremely unhealthy.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. What are you freaking out about?