My Dr didn't clear me :(

Options
13»

Replies

• klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with chrondromalacia in my right knee a number of years ago. I would request a referral for physical therapy from your doctor. PT helped me figure out what muscles I needed to strengthen to get my patella to track straight. It also alleviated a lot of pain.

While I was doing PT, yoga and walking were my two biggest forms of exercise. Once the inflammation was under control and the correct muscles strengthened, I started running. I used a cho pat brace to help the patella track properly. Weight loss also helped. Just to give you hope, I have completed a 5k.

Currently, I run and lift heavy weights, including squats. I would not give up squats for anything, I credit them with continuing to keep my leg muscles evenly strengthened and preventing knee pain. The only time I feel Hairy (I've nicknamed my right knee Hairy Patella based on the MRI images) is when we are about to get a major storm. Regular rain events don't seem to bother me any more.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have a list in front of me, but you can google strength training or rehabilitation for Chondromalacia patella and get a bunch of ideas. There are different variations of squats and presses that can sometimes be done w/out too much discomfort.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That sounds familiar - oh yeah, I was diagnosed with that also a year ago. See my blog post about it here: http://www.fatguysredemption.com/2013/04/26/fat-guys-redemption-2-0/

Work on your quads, particularly the VMO quad muscle, and stretch your IT band and foam roll it.

BTW, I'm squatting over 220 lbs and running without any issues so far.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    People fail at reading that you've said swimming isn't a viable option. Twice...
    I think that's because it isn't truly not an option, it's just that she'd prefer something cheaper.

Many cities have city pools with adult lap swim hours.

There are lots of low impact, knee friendly cardio options, though.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    What about biking? And dancing? I know oriental dance (belly dance) is low impact, I'm sure there are other styles that are as well!

if you think belly dance is low impact- you're doing it wrong.
    I was thinking the same thing! I belly dance and it is a workout. But it is so much fun!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Cycling. Definitely, cycling. I love it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I also have knee issues... chondromalacia patella, osgood schlatter, and fractured both of my patellas twice.

Since you have no access to a pool, I recommend using the stationary bike. I have one in my home and love it! It is a great exercise post-knee injury.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine (for weight loss, also helps with core and hips). Elliptical and ski machine (nordictrak!) are good low-impact cardio.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PFPS (patellofemoral pain syndrome) due to patellar tracking disorder.

A combination of continued walking (15miles/week), leg curls and extensions and glucosamine chondrotin complex seems to do the trick.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I did physical therapy last year to help with my knees. I have to wear braces to help keep them from popping when I exercise, but they gave me resistance bands and had me buy small ankle weights, and sent me home with list of exercises I can do on my own.

Might your doc and insurance approve of even a couple of PT sessions to help you start some of those kinds of exercises?
  • mspianomistress
    Options
    If you're still interested in swimming but can't afford much, there are a couple of possible options out there for you depending on what's available in your area. Community centers and city parks often have pools open in the summer and are quite cheap or free if you're a resident of the area. Also, like others suggested, see if the Y can work with your income. They do often lower their fee for people who qualify.

I also suggest you try Yoga. You can watch online videos for free. You might want a live class the first couple of times you try it so you can learn how to do the poses correctly, and many of them offer free first classes or discounted rates for new students.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I have had both of my hips replaced and doctors told me not to run. I started running three years ago anyway and ran my first ultra in April. I switched to minimalist zero drop shoes and followed the foot and leg strengthening routines in Eric Orton's book "The Cool Impossible". I am not suggesting that you can just jump out there and run, but the routines in that book cleared up a lot of issues and substantially strengthened my feet, arches, ankles, knees, etc. I think you will run that 5k...and beyond... is that your cool impossible?
  • bushytail3
    bushytail3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 years old and have had knee problems my entire life. I was diagnosed with flat feet when I was young which lead to chondromalacia patella.. That means the cartilage in my knee is not smooth but rather flaking off. I will eventually need surgery to help alleviate some of the pain. I have been told the only exercises I can do are low impact. No running, squatting, jumping or other actives that put a lot of strain on my knees.

My question is for anyone who has any suggestions for activities that could help strengthen the muscles in my legs. My doctor said this could help along with losing weight. Apparently for every 1 pound on the body is like 5 pounds on your knees. Swimming is not an option because I don't have the money to belong to that kind of gym :(

I've always wanted to run a 5k and I'm scared my dream will not be possible. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi there!

I am 30yrs old and started having knee problems when I was 13. I was also diagnosed with the same thing you were, and I also have flat feet. When the pain started I was in a pre-professional ballet training program and wanted to be a full-time dancer. By the time I was 18 I had to quit ballet, but I continued to teach it until I was 21. I have also done many other forms of dance throughout my life, none of which helped the situation. At one point when I was about 19 I could not even walk up or down stairs, and walking downhill was awful too.
    I started wearing shoes with much better support, and started ballroom dancing to keep moving and keep dance in my life. I wear supportive knee braces and patella straps when I am having a bad day, and use ice if things start hurting. I also talked to my chiropractor about my knee problems and he made sure that all my joints all the way from my neck to my ankles were properly aligned (this took about 2 yrs to get right), but it really improved my condition. I can now take stairs both up and down with only a feeling of weakness occasionally, but no lasting pain. I also walk and hike a lot. I am still ballroom and latin dancing, both socially and competitively. I recently took up rock climbing and the first 8 weeks were difficult, and I would fall off the wall a lot due to my knees giving out, but now I feel stronger than ever!
    This is not to say that I don't have bad pain off and on, but the "attacks" are fewer and farther between, and icing my knees gives relief. I have noticed that the pain tends to creep up on me if I don't have the proper support in my shoes, my knees are out of alignment, I have done too much high-impact exercise, I have pushed myself way too far, or I do something that is very repetitive such as bicycling. The one thing I can't do is run for more than a short sprint because I can feel the crunching in my knees.
    My point is that you can still be active, take it slow, get shoes with good support and some orthotics, and figure out what makes you hurt and what doesn't. Also remember that if something hurts today, it might be fine in a year when you gain strength. Our bodies are not static, so things change and get better or worse.

Hope that helps!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Flat feet and patella that tracks to a side my whole, entire life... had handicapped parking sticker in college, physical therapy, custom orthotics, $100 running shoes custom fitted, kinetic taping, etc. NOTHING ever helped.

Went to a personal trainer who really knew his stuff. For lifting, you shouldnt wear shoes with cushions - you want flat heels. He talked me into trying "barefoot" shoes for awhile (not the vibram toe kind, but like Merrell or Vivobarefoot types). AFter a month of wearing those, my knees had never ever ever felt better!!! I bought all new shoes, all barefoot style, and gave away every other pair I had!

In the meantime, he specifically trained my legs to even out muscle imbalances that were causing my kneecap to track to one side. Making sure I worked each of the major and minor muscles deliberately in my leg - my goal for the month was to be able to see the separation of the muscles clearly (have to lose body fat for that as well). When one muscle is stronger than the others, it pulls harder and does more of the work - the other muscles get lazy and dont move and you get all out of alignment. You need to work them all and get the front and back, side to side, inside to outside - all working together and pulling their own weight (haha).

As part of that, he started me using the foam roller on every inch of my legs. It hurts like hell but it feels so good after! and it speeds up the process a bit by forcing each muscle to completely relax and take some of the load off (look for knots, work out and get rid of, rinse and repeat daily!). If I start to do something and my knee hurts, its a sure bet I have a knot.

It took a few months, but I am now squatting over 100 pounds with no pain at all. I walk 1-2 hours a day. I run when I feel like it (not my favorite thing to do ... but I *can* if I want to). Plus all the other lifts etc.

Obviously your body is different, but I had lots of orthopediests and other doctors telling me nothing can be done, do these one exercises etc for many, many many years. I am sure they generally know what they are doing, but its like asking a podiatrist what he thinks the problem is - he will always think of feet first! You need to have someone step back and look at it more objectively and see if there is anything that will help or "fix" it that may be a little different than you might think. The body is amazingly connected from top to bottom. Inactivity in one muscle causes a chain reaction to other muscles. The one that hurts is not always the one that is the problem - sometimes it is a side effect (i.e. if your hammies are weak, your quads may overcompensate... meaning they work harder and hurt... but you dont need to "fix" your quads... you need to address the weak hammies so they do their job and give the quads a break!)

Good luck! Certainly cant hurt to try a few different options and see what comes of it.
  • MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Doctors sometimes arent always right. They want to tell you impossible things, and load you up with meds. If you really dont want to work out or "cant" then eat extremely healthy and try to walk a lot. Or something. Every workout I do there is always always always modifications. As someone previously said, you could always use your game console and do some workouts with that.

Of course swimming is an option, and I know gyms are sort of expensive (I pay 40 bucks a month for a great bundle, and dont make too great of money, pay a crapoad of bills) but still can afford it. You just got to look around, some gyms are only 20 a month but just not everythings included. You dont have friends with pools? As other people said, lakes are free as well.

There's something for everyone. People with no arms and missing legs find ways to work out. Heck, there is a man in my apt complex who lost both his legs but he works out 4x a week hardcore. If it were up to doctors, we would be confined to our beds loaded up with meds for every little injury.

Just find out what works for you..
  • ECfromSJ
    ECfromSJ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi - I just started using this myself, so I can't totally vouch for it, but there's a DVD from Gaiam on Amazon that got good reviews: Strong Knees. UPC 018713533517. Some of the exercises seem easy to me, but there's one I can hardly do at all, so I'm concentrating on that one. I figure it's the one I need. The DVD is under $9 right now.

FYI--I have no officially diagnosed knee problems, but I have some trouble with steps, getting up off the floor and out of chairs. (Occasional pain, weakness, crackling.)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What's old is new again.