NHS very low calorie diet help

Options

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    "3 meal replacement milkshakes, smoothies or bars (for example Slimfast, Cambridge diet, Supermarket own brand meal replacements) (approx 220kcals each)

2 scoops of Isopure is mint chocolate chip is 50g of protein, 210 calories and quite a few micronutrients. I'm not seeing any reason you can't substitute that out for a Slimfast shake.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've heard Cambridge diet is better than slimfast if that helps?
  • Meikakiri
    Meikakiri Posts: 44
    Options
    "3 meal replacement milkshakes, smoothies or bars (for example Slimfast, Cambridge diet, Supermarket own brand meal replacements) (approx 220kcals each)

2 scoops of Isopure is mint chocolate chip is 50g of protein, 210 calories and quite a few micronutrients. I'm not seeing any reason you can't substitute that out for a Slimfast shake.

Looks good, trying to find a UK supplier that doesn't bump up the price too high.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Looks good, trying to find a UK supplier that doesn't bump up the price too high.

Isopure is just what I happen to use, but there are plenty of other good protein powders out there. I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg just for that one particular brand. The advantage to a high purity whey powder is that you get fewer calories for a given amount of protein; i.e., in those 2 scoops of Isopure, only 10 calories are from non-protein sources. Other powders like Muscle Milk oftentimes will taste great, but they include a fair amount of fat and sugar as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Find a new dietician.
    With 65lbs to lose, there is no reason to eat that little.

This!^

Unless you need to lose quickly for surgery, or some other medical condition.....there's no reason to be miserable. Moderate weight loss (gasp!!) will help you develop lifestyle changes. Skills needed to keep weight off in the future.

Your dietician may be hoping for a lot of REPEAT customers with the meal replacement "diet."
  • tzdani
    tzdani Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was referred to them because my doctor was convinced I was stuffing my face because of my depression despite no evidence for and a lot against.
    I've had multiple blood tests to check thyroxine levels over the years all coming back normal.
    My new dietitian put me on this because he's found no issues with my diet at all to see if an even lower calorie rate will yield results [previous 1200 calories] and as documented evidence to my doctor that I'm not stuffing my face.

There's a huge difference between asking you to modify your behavior and take you to non-sustainable levels! I'm sorry, but I have to agree with most of the people here and say that 1000 is simply too low. Also, keep in mind that you shouldn't necessarily be "dieting", but rather changing your behaviors. Yes, it's difficult. But you can do it! Just do it wisely...
  • lollyhackett
    lollyhackett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've only just hopped in on the conversation here and haven't read too many of the previous messages.

One would hope that if a qualified dietician has given you this advice then perhaps it's something you could at least try for a few weeks. To aid you in the battle of only consuming 1000 calories day - my advice would be to eat purely Low GI foods that will sustain your energy levels for longer, thus making you less prone to snacking attacks and help you wait it out until the next meal.

Low GI is a fabulous way to eat and it really does work!

Good luck and take care!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Bodybuilding.com usually has good offers on all the big brand protein powders (I got a 2kg tub for the price of a 904g tub on own companies website.)

Optimum nutrition, phd and myprotein all sell sample sachets for around £1, so you can try before you buy. Tesco, Asda and sainsburys all stock maximuscle (wait till it's on offer at half price).

Steer clear of holland and barrat - they will sell you something ridiculously expensive that is the opposite of what you asked for.

Remember if you're mixing it with milk (half pint allowance seems low, I would ask about this) the calories will come up a bit. Also, see if you can substitute in some Greek yoghurt as part of your milk allowance as that can be a nice change.

:flowerforyou:

ETA: no disrespect intended in my earlier comment. I cheat all the time and ask myself why I haven't lost that week - then find myself at the cupboard with the Nutella jar and a spoon :/ I'm pretty sure it happens to most of us.
  • Meikakiri
    Options

Isopure is just what I happen to use, but there are plenty of other good protein powders out there. I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg just for that one particular brand. The advantage to a high purity whey powder is that you get fewer calories for a given amount of protein; i.e., in those 2 scoops of Isopure, only 10 calories are from non-protein sources. Other powders like Muscle Milk oftentimes will taste great, but they include a fair amount of fat and sugar as well.

Found another diet whey protein brand called Matrix which has a lot of positive reviews.
  • Meikakiri
    Options

Bodybuilding.com usually has good offers on all the big brand protein powders (I got a 2kg tub for the price of a 904g tub on own companies website.)

Optimum nutrition, phd and myprotein all sell sample sachets for around £1, so you can try before you buy. Tesco, Asda and sainsburys all stock maximuscle (wait till it's on offer at half price).

Steer clear of holland and barrat - they will sell you something ridiculously expensive that is the opposite of what you asked for.

Remember if you're mixing it with milk (half pint allowance seems low, I would ask about this) the calories will come up a bit. Also, see if you can substitute in some Greek yoghurt as part of your milk allowance as that can be a nice change.

:flowerforyou:

ETA: no disrespect intended in my earlier comment. I cheat all the time and ask myself why I haven't lost that week - then find myself at the cupboard with the Nutella jar and a spoon :/ I'm pretty sure it happens to most of us.

Sorry I jumped at you earlier, been suffering with dizziness and stomach pains and i've gotten very irritable because of it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Find a new dietician.
    With 65lbs to lose, there is no reason to eat that little.

THis^^ x1000

Responses like this always amaze me. Did you read the thread? If the OP swears she's not losing at 1200 calories per day over a sufficiently lengthy period of time such that fat loss could not be masked by water retention, why would eating more ever produce better results in terms of weight loss? That's just illogical. What's more likely is that due to inaccuracy in logging, the OP's 1200 calories is not truly 1200 calories. Just because I log 1200 calories doesn't mean that I didn't eat 1600 or 1800 calories, and telling me to start eating more just exacerbates this problem (e.g., I log 1600 and eat 2200). What's also a very real possibility is that all of these diets the OP has tried haven't lasted long enough for the OP to see results. Yoyo'ing between various diets with breaks of uncontrolled eating in between and not sticking with any of them long enough to see results is a great recipe for getting bigger over time. But if that's the case, eating more during the diet phase of the yoyo will just make things worse. And there's always the possibility that the OP is 100% accurate and is dealing with an undiagnosed medical issue or a side-effect of a drug she's taking, but if that's the case, telling her to eat more is again just going to exacerbate the problem. In short, there's almost never a situation where eating more will break a long-term plateau or will stop long-term weight gain as we're seeing here.

This is a bit of a rant on my part at this point, but weight loss goes beyond just plugging numbers into a calculator and getting a calorie target. That simply gives you a rough estimate for your starting point and going forward you should be adjusting your targets around the results you're seeing. If you're not losing at the rate you should be over a lengthy period of time, drop the calories ~10%. If you're losing too fast over a lengthy period of time, up the calories. But it needs to be based on results, not just ballpark estimates based on someone's stats.

Just my $0.02, but the OP's doctor is probably putting her on "meal replacement" products because it's a controlled environment. I can log 1200 calories but that doesn't mean I actually ate 1200 calories, and if I'm not weighing my foods and/or preparing my own foods, it can be difficult to get a very accurate estimate. On the other hand, "meal replacement" products are fairly well controlled. A shake is always going to be around X calories, a prepackaged meal will always be around Y calories, and so on. I suspect they're recommending that sort of diet plan to see whether the OP truly can't lose at 1000 calories or if perhaps the reason for the lack of loss was inaccurate tracking. But in any event, I just can't understand all the posts saying "your doctor is a quack, eat more!"
    Thank you. I totally agree.

OP- We all mis-estimate our intake. It's just a matter of how much. In studies where they trained people on how to log accurately and then tested them, people missed 25% of their calorie intake, on average. But most of us think we're accurate, or else why would we bother? But it's like asking people if they're a better driver than average. Everyone believes they are.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just want to clear something up from some of the comments in here

This is not America - no professional, and certainly not any dietician working for the NHS earns any commission, or indeed anyone within the NHS based on "sales" or any product enforcement, and that is seriously disgusting to insinuate. Also a RD is not a 'nutritionist'. A RD has dedicated their entire career, and many years of their life studying nutrition, and it's effect on individuals especially relating to different conditions. While I agree that 12 weeks seems a long time for a VLCD, it is the advice of a professional who knows far more about the subject matter than most of us, and certainly knows more about their client than we do.

tl;dr - stop slagging off the RA, read the rest of the comments, and maybe try to answer OP's actual question about making sticking to the VLCD easier.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Im putting this out there,my grandma in the mid/late 1980s was literally hospitalized so they could feed her a vlcd to see what would happen bc she was gaining weight uncontrollably.
    She gained a pound.
    Onky bariatric surgery and a very very strict lifetime diet made her lose any weight.

Also I gained weight eating around 1400kcal while breastfeeding a newborn-100lbs in 4mos.

Only recently being on near the max dose of thyroid hormone am I able to drop weight. It was work just to maintain. Maintain 326lbs on about 1400kcal. Breastfeeding.
    And yes I know what a food scale is.

I have severe hypothyroidism and thyroid tumors.
    Sometimes sick bodies act illogically.
  • Meikakiri
    Options
    I've lost 3.8 kg is less than 1 week according to the scales, I should be happy but this isn't a healthy loss is it?
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be if that was happening very often, but it's very normal after a change in diet/intake to see a large loss like that. Well done !
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've lost 3.8 kg is less than 1 week according to the scales, I should be happy but this isn't a healthy loss is it?

Well not really but you are in week 1 so most of that will be 'water weight' anyway.
    If I were you I would use this tool, it's helped a lot of people with their goals: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    It tells you how much you should eat a day based on your height, weight and activity level.
    Also you can still eat the things you enjoy but you just need to eat less of it.
    The NHS still consider BMI to be the epitome of health. I wouldn't rely on them too much - slow and steady wins the race.
    If you start a VLC diet now it will only make things harder in the long run.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Is this pre bariatric surgery? That is the only ONLY reason for something like this-coming from an RD...I cannot see any reason to go this low on calories unless you are pre op...and even then 12 weeks seems WAY too long for something like this.

No it isn't, my doctor has told me despite my referral from another GP that I will not receive bariatric surgery as my BMI isn't high enough at 43.

OK, three things jumping out at me here. The NHS requirement to be considered for bariatric surgery is a BMI over 40. See here: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/weight-loss-surgery/Pages/who-can-use-it.aspx . Think it's time to find a new doctor, as this one clearly doesn't believe you, and it would seem, doesn't know his stuff about NHS guidelines.*

Secondly, unless your meal replacements are high-protein, and pretty high in essential fats, this diet is not going to cut the mustard in keeping you healthy for 12 weeks. I'd also be concerned about going so low-carb if you have a history of depression.

Thirdly, you're seeing this nutritionist about once a month??? A VLCD like this should be very closely monitored - at least twice a week, especially with your medical history as described here. Sounds to me like you need to be asking some questions about the people you're seeing. Are they really NHS Registered? Are there other options in the local area? It sounds very fishy to me... Start asking questions, and investigating the people who are treating you, as far as possible. It's relatively rare, but people do occasionally manage to scam the system and pass themselves off as doctors/nutritionists/etc when their training is nonexistent, or massively under par.

One other thing - so four things - 3.8kg in under a week? Yeah, not a healthy loss. Probably water, for the most part.

Sorry you're experiencing this, and good luck.

*Though it is possible your local PCT has different requirements, but I'd look into that closely if I were you, rather than just taking the doctor's word.
  • Meikakiri
    Options
    OK, three things jumping out at me here. The NHS requirement to be considered for bariatric surgery is a BMI over 40. See here: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/weight-loss-surgery/Pages/who-can-use-it.aspx . Think it's time to find a new doctor, as this one clearly doesn't believe you, and it would seem, doesn't know his stuff about NHS guidelines.*

Secondly, unless your meal replacements are high-protein, and pretty high in essential fats, this diet is not going to cut the mustard in keeping you healthy for 12 weeks. I'd also be concerned about going so low-carb if you have a history of depression.

Thirdly, you're seeing this nutritionist about once a month??? A VLCD like this should be very closely monitored - at least twice a week, especially with your medical history as described here. Sounds to me like you need to be asking some questions about the people you're seeing. Are they really NHS Registered? Are there other options in the local area? It sounds very fishy to me... Start asking questions, and investigating the people who are treating you, as far as possible. It's relatively rare, but people do occasionally manage to scam the system and pass themselves off as doctors/nutritionists/etc when their training is nonexistent, or massively under par.

One other thing - so four things - 3.8kg in under a week? Yeah, not a healthy loss. Probably water, for the most part.

Sorry you're experiencing this, and good luck.

*Though it is possible your local PCT has different requirements, but I'd look into that closely if I were you, rather than just taking the doctor's word.

I'm going to request a different GP next time I go in as I'm going to ask for some blood test work, I've had a string of bad experiences with this one, including her telling me she'd refer me for surgery then never sending the form off for over a year making it so an embarrassed receptionist had to call me up to tell me it had never been sent, then telling me I must stuff my face because I have depression despite seeing my written diet diary, then referring me to this dietitian who I knew as he was giving me this plan that it contradicted everything I'd learnt over the years about a healthy diet including from other NHS professionals.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The director at work lost about the same, no idea what he's doing but he has plenty to go at (he's raising money for charity by dieting).

Seems to me the point of the doctor was to demonstrate that you can lose weight if you go on an appropriate regime, and that has been demonstrated. Rather than trying to sabotage the process on here I feel you would be better taking your medicine as prescribed and going back to discuss progress when you reach a goal or start to find it hard to stick to.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    tl;dr - stop slagging off the RA, read the rest of the comments, and maybe try to answer OP's actual question about making sticking to the VLCD easier.

+1