Clean Eating

Options
2»

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I've always understood clean eating to mean avoiding pre-processed, packaged, additive laden foods - synonymous to the "one-ingredient" theory. It seems reasonable to me on a common-sense level that this can only be better for you. Or have I gotten something wrong here?

Unless you're going to grow your own garden/farm and eat exclusively what you raise under your sole control, clean eating is a myth. And even then, you're still consuming the chemicals used to treat your weeds/seeds, along with the "unclean" feed that your animals eat.

But hey, whatever makes people feel better, right?
  • alisonmarie85
    alisonmarie85 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh boy... "I need encouragement" is clearly what a lot of people missed. I say keep on truckin'!!! You won't notice a difference within two weeks... but let me tell you... if you keep on eating clean/healthier, and then you go for the biggest juiciest burger... you will notice the difference!!! I am not eating "clean" but I'm trying to eat healthier... and when I go back and eat something REALLY bad for me, my body is not impressed and I pay for it big time. That's how I know it is working. I do agree though that maybe try out a new exercise, and just give it time, patience.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    What does that mean, it's all in my head?

Don't listen to them, they've drank the Kool-aid. "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" is bull**** that's used to justify eating unhealthily, with the justification that "it's inside my calorie limit". Food is not all the same.

That's crazy talk - you are talking crazy
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Since you are new here, I will give you some pointers.

1) "clean eating" is a meaningless phrase and does not describe what you are actually eating

2) MFP is just like Weight Watchers in that you eat within your calorie and macro limits (instead of points) and it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as it fits

3) Every day there is a thread about "clean eating"

4) MFP's system works as long as you weigh, measure, and log everything that you eat

5) It doesn't matter what you drink as long as you count any calories it may contain (this includes diet soda. If you want it, drink it)

6) Ultimate success is determined by learning to eat at a calorie deficit and doing it in a way that you can continue for the rest of your life.

That about wraps it up. I'll add the bow by saying EXERCISE!
  • the_kat42
    the_kat42 Posts: 23
    Options
    I've always understood clean eating to mean avoiding pre-processed, packaged, additive laden foods - synonymous to the "one-ingredient" theory. It seems reasonable to me on a common-sense level that this can only be better for you. Or have I gotten something wrong here?

Unless you're going to grow your own garden/farm and eat exclusively what you raise under your sole control, clean eating is a myth. And even then, you're still consuming the chemicals used to treat your weeds/seeds, along with the "unclean" feed that your animals eat.

But you can't deny that eating an organically grown apple is better for your body than a McDonald's apple pie, can you?
  • lollyhackett
    lollyhackett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd appreciate any advice that you guys could give me. I'm looking for encouragement. Thank you

You should be proud of yourself - you've broken some bad habits for the past 2 weeks - so keep it up!

It may take some time to notice a difference, but I definitely recommend the following for general wellbeing; try and exercise, get your 10,000 steps in a day whether it be walking or running. Also get a good nights sleep - perhaps if you can't cut out the caffiene it may be worth considering decaf, especially if you drink coffee past 5pm. It will definitely hinder you.

And once again! Well done you!! Small changes here and there and you'll start to feel amazing. :-)

Good luck!

Lauren.
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Calories are indeed calories. You can eat a bag of M&M's for every meal and it would probably fit your calorie goal for the day. You will lose weight, absolutely. There is a physical reason that doctors tell you to eat your veggies though.

Clean eating is not going to help you lose weight besides just pointing you to foods that are less-calorie dense and more filling. It might make you feel more alert, might keep your complexion cleaner (cutting fried foods out has shown to help with things like acne), maybe help you recover a bit faster from a workout. But there isn't going to be a big noticeable change. Not right now.

The real benefit comes many, many years down the road when you are older and your body still works about as good as it did in your 20's, while everybody else might be feeling the effects of age a lot more.
  • kriste1234
    kriste1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you to start being more healthy! I have been eating healthy, exercising for about 8 weeks and losing weight steadily. Then I fell in a bit of a slump and then I read that caffeine does your rate of weight loss. So I decreased my coffee by one half! I love my coffee and so it took a bit of self-control, but I did see weight loss continue after lowering my caffeine intake. Best wishes to you and hang in there- it will be worth the struggle! and...Keep on truckin'!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

But you can't deny that eating an organically grown apple is better for your body than a McDonald's apple pie, can you?

Depends on what I'm in the mood for. I eat an apple every day (my diary is open and fair game), AND I eat something "equivalent" to a McDonald's apple pie (I find them a little on the small and molten side). Yesterday I ran for 12 miles and had a Kit Kat and a chocolate Easter bunny, and my skin is **still** glowing and radiant, and all that other feelgood nonsense clean eaters profess. I don't deny myself what I want due to irrational food dogma.
  • Uba31
    Uba31 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just eat like you normally would within your calories, but instead of pre-packed food, try to use as much fresh as you can and cook meals. Go to the library and pick up a couple cookbooks to help you with ideas within your calorie range.

I started to do this a few months ago, and I felt a lot better and had a lot more energy. I didn't drop a drastic amount of weight from it, but it's slowly coming off and easier than when I eat "quick" foods. I hardly go down the isles of the grocery store anymore and stick to the produce, meats and dairy sections.
  • the_kat42
    the_kat42 Posts: 23
    Options
    [/quote]
    Depends on what I'm in the mood for. I eat an apple every day (my diary is open and fair game), AND I eat something "equivalent" to a McDonald's apple pie (I find them a little on the small and molten side). Yesterday I ran for 12 miles and had a Kit Kat and a chocolate Easter bunny, and my skin is **still** glowing and radiant, and all that other feelgood nonsense clean eaters profess. I don't deny myself what I want due to irrational food dogma.
    [/quote]

This is my first time posting in this forum, I just realized that I placed the "quote" wrong, which may have made my reply appear more antagonistic than it was meant. Sorry! :-)
    Actually, I totally agree with you that "a little bit of what you like does you good", but on a grander scale, I try to avoid convenience foods as much as possible, and have noticed some major improvements in my own health and well-being by avoiding diet soda and other artificially sweetened products.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    [/quote]

This is my first time posting in this forum, I just realized that I placed the "quote" wrong, which may have made my reply appear more antagonistic than it was meant. Sorry! :-)
    Actually, I totally agree with you that "a little bit of what you like does you good", but on a grander scale, I try to avoid convenience foods as much as possible, and have noticed some major improvements in my own health and well-being by avoiding diet soda and other artificially sweetened products.
    [/quote]

I don't try to avoid, but it just came naturally over the past year and a half if that makes sense? As in, I find during the day due to my work and workout schedule that I eat more nutritious stuff, but after I get home it's a free for all so long as I meet my macros and all that. I love soda, but that doesn't fit in before a run (bloats me and makes me cramp). After a run? Oh yeah. I don't knock people that it works for, so long as they don't say it's the only way to go that really works. I have friends here that eat very clean (makes me feel guilty some days!) but they don't preach about it, and I'm cool with that.
  • duckydoom
    duckydoom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I actually follow a clean eating regime 100%, I feel a difference within the day, and then it kind of evens out as the week goes on with just a general feeling of wellbeing vs Superwoman. I drink a gallon of water a day regardless of whether I'm eating clean or not, and find that (obviously) I retain far less water when avoiding processed foods, and feel much more energetic, less bloated and gassy, less aches and pains in the joints. I do have issues with detoxing after a few days, which usually is enough for me to wuss out and eat something crappy to feel "better." Staying motivated is the hard part. I went to a trainer a few months ago and got a very detailed menu and eating schedule, and when I stuck with that and trained 2x/week, I lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks - lost no lean muscle in the process, but my fat went down -so whether it was fat or water weight, I don't know, but overall I felt fantastic. Now I'm just trying to hype myself up to stick with it again and avoid the self sabotage... :neutral_face: good luck to you! :smile:
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You're "clean eating" (definition TBD) and looking for what type of difference exactly? Health difference? Weight difference? Health difference, you may not really "feel" anything. You might get some more energy throughout the day, sleep better etc... Weight difference, you can "eat clean" all you want, but if you don't know how much you're eating, you'll never look different. Do you count calories? Weigh food? Exercise? What type of foods do you eat?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight and keep it off long-term, I'd advise against anything you find overly difficult to do. You can buckle down and use all your willpower and do very well, but once you hit the magic number on your scale, you're more likely to go back to your old habits that got you in trouble in the first place.

No one is saying to eat a bag of M&Ms for every meal, but you'll probably find better long-term success if you eat the foods you like, but make them fit calorie-wise into your goal.