Looking for MFP friends with kids who still workout

Options

Replies

• fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a quiverful. The key for me is to not waste time by staying up late at night. I aim for 9:30pm head-on-pillow. Cultivate an early bedtime, get stuff ready before bed, then I don't mind waking early and heading to the gym! I wake without an alarm at 4am. I get an early workout, and I love it!

I'm also a quiverful mom. This year I switched to early morning workouts. I agree making your health a priority works.
    Get out there early & get it done then move on to your busy day.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old boy and a 1 year old girl. She is a workout sabatoge queen. She goes to bed late, and wakes up early. Not to mention the middle of the night waking. Because they share a room, I have to get up with her or the whole house is up. I will admit, since she started these middle of the night wakings, I cannot get up in the morning to work out. And I'm exhausted by the time she goes to bed that I feel like I've given up. I cannot find my mojo because all I want to do when they sleep is sleep myself! :(

I know how that goes. If you get several nights in a row like that it really wipes you out. I guess all you can do is try to workout when you can if you have enough energy and know that it won't be like that forever. Our kids still wake up in the middle of the night occasionally, but it's not too bad since it's rare now. Functioning on little to no sleep really sucks. Hope your kids get into a better sleep pattern soon for you!
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Really great to see so many people out there with kids with super busy schedules still managing to work out and eat healthy! Gives me hope! For a while there I would make excuses, well with kids there's just no time, they take too much of my energy, I just want to relax when I get home, etc. Well the reality is if you fall into that mode of thinking, you will start becoming overweight, tired, and cranky.

I guess you can either step it up and start making it a priority to get in shape or just accept being fat and tired as part of being a parent, which it clearly doesn't have to be.

Thanks everyone!
  • cravingthinperfection28
    Options
    Hey y'all! I have a 4 yr old daughter and a newborn daughter and I still workout every morning. I lost over 30 pounds before I got pregnant and now I'm 2 weeks postpartum and have around 40 pounds to lose. Feel free to add me everyone.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have one kiddo and work full-time but I don't think I really do anything super special to work out, I just wake up before anyone else and go to the gym in the mornings. If it doesn't happen first thing in the morning, it just doesn't happen. My hubby doesn't workout tho, so it makes it easier not having to fit his workout time in as well.

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yup, but my kids are 10 and 7. It gets easier as they get older.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Hey y'all! I have a 4 yr old daughter and a newborn daughter and I still workout every morning. I lost over 30 pounds before I got pregnant and now I'm 2 weeks postpartum and have around 40 pounds to lose. Feel free to add me everyone.

That's cool, I'm sure you can lose the weight again. My wife put on 30 lbs with our first daughter, lost all of that within a year, then put on 40 lbs with our second daughter, and she got with 5-10 lbs of her previous weight within a year after that and now she's only about 5 lbs over what she was prior. She's really not one of those extreme intense types either when it comes to fitness or eating, she just eats a sensible diet, doesn't eat too much, and exercises at the gym regularly 3-5 times a week. Seems to work for her.

I know it must be really hard for women to lose your shape and then have to work so hard to get it back again afterwards, even though it's obviously totally worth when you get a cute bundle of joy out of the whole deal. I give women who can do that a lot of credit. Us guys never go through any major changes like that. I gained some "sympathy weight" both times even though I said I never would be one of those guys. The first time I gained about 25 lbs and then the second time about 15 lbs. Pretty sad when I didn't even go through any changes myself haha! Oh well, at least I took the weight off along with my wife afterwards.

I'm sure you'll get back into shape again soon! Main thing is your baby is healthy, you can always lose the weight.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My kids still workout. I even pay for their gym membership.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    My kids still workout. I even pay for their gym membership.

Haha! Nice way to answer the question literally! That's great they still workout too! :)
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm single with 3 daughters (9, 7 and 4) and have a small business. It's hard sometimes, but I fit exercise in everyday. Usually go to the track and run while the kids play in the field in the middle. We go hiking at least once a week and I do exercise videos at home, which my 9 year old loves to do with me.

Feel free to add me.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am mom of 4 kids ages 17 (he will be 18 in another week, sniff, sniff) 15, 13, and 12. I find that I do better if I workout first thing in the morning at home. I'll either run, kickboxing, step aerobics, strength training or any combination I feel like for about an hour before the kids get up and then we are off and running to get ready for the day. On the weekends when my husband isn't working overtime, my 17 year old son and I have been making time to go for a run first thing in the morning. Feel free to add me.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I'm single with 3 daughters (9, 7 and 4) and have a small business. It's hard sometimes, but I fit exercise in everyday. Usually go to the track and run while the kids play in the field in the middle. We go hiking at least once a week and I do exercise videos at home, which my 9 year old loves to do with me.

Feel free to add me.

Cool, that's actually an awesome idea, just letting the kids run around in the field in the middle of the track. My wife and I should try doing that one day. Our youngest is still only 1.5 year old though, so we still have to keep a close eye on her. But we live really close to a high school with a nice track. Maybe we could all go up there to walk/jog/run around a little on nice days. Thanks for the idea and good to see you are staying in shape even with the demands of little kids!
  • myri54
    myri54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hello... yes, I am a mom, and struggling to stay fit, or better said... trying hard to be fit again.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Is a gym with a daycare not an option? I only go twice a week, once in the evening during the week and once on a weekend (bringing the kids since there's daycare). I then also ride my bike 1-2 times a week when my husband is home to watch the kids, or I might even pay a babysitter for it.

My husband commute 17 miles to work on his bike for extra training time (I've done it too a couple of times) and again rides when I am home (weekends or evenings) or when the kids are at daycare and he's off (he works a weird schedule and often has kid free home days due to a minimum requirement at the daycare).

We just eat "normal" and I try to watch my portions.
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 y/o (who just started sleeping all night) and 4 y/o who are usually up at 6am. My husband is a fireman and acadamy instructor and is gone a lot. So I have to improvise. It's so hard b/c then there is the housework, cooking, cleaning, paying bills, and finding time to spend together as a family. I'm struggling but really trying to organize my time. I take walks a lot with my kids, ride bikes with my kids etc. But to get a good workout in.... it's tough. Feel free to add me.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Well, I had my first child at 18, so I've always had to juggle working out against taking care of someone else. When I had my first son, I used to get up early (before school and work) and do Richard Simmons' "Sweating to the Oldies"...yep, Richard Simmons...LOL...but it worked, I liked it, so I stuck to it...for a while. But I was young, I lost the baby weight and I didn't feel like I needed to remain active or workout.

Fast forward 20 years and I was carrying a "few" extra pounds after 2 more children and a sedentary lifestyle.

I have, again, started working out in the morning, while the kids and hubby and most of the world are sleeping. It's the only thing I can stick to and see results from. Early morning workouts. Running, Jillian Michaels tapes anything which I can do in the morning.

My husband is not a morning person, so when he is working out, he does so in the evenings, after work. Thankfully we are the opposite.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Feel free to add me.

16202iC8F7462C0D3576E3?v=mpbl-1&nobounce
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Great to hear all your stories! Lots of great ideas to fit workout time into the day.

I'm actually a member at a gym so I may try re-working my schedule some so that I have more time to go. I used to go on lunch here at work but it got kind of hectic at work for a while and once I stopped going I got out of my routine. I may try going twice a week again just to squeeze in some additional cardio since I can do weight lifting at home in the basement at night.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have an insane 2 year old and I still (usually) work out with her around. She is in a phase of stealing my dumbbells and running away with them. So i think I just need heavier weights...
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    single mom (widowed for 12 +years) 2 children who are now teens… I get up (and have been for over 10 + years…) at 4am and do jillian's dvds.