Joint Facebook Account w/ Your SO?

Options
chrissyrenee1029
chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
Looking through my list of "friends" on Facebook, a pretty big chunk of them are shared pages with their significant other or spouse. I personally just don't get it. Although my husband is my main PIC (partner in crime) we are definitely not the same person. We have different interests and while we obviously have friends in common, we definitely don't know or associate with the same people day to day. It may not always be the case, but when I see a joint account, it just screams "trust issues" and "insecurity" to me.

Thoughts? And if you share an account with your spouse, what's the reasoning behind it? Maybe someone can help me see it from a different perspective.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. It's weird.

I could understand if it were something they had to pay for or even if it were strictly for business purposes, but shared personal accounts make no sense to me.

I love my fiance and we're very close, but we are still two different people.

I also don't get the shared email accounts.
  • courtneymaybe
    Options
    I think it just depends on how the individuals utilize social media, you know? If you each used it for chatting all the time, etc., then perhaps a joint account may be odd, in that it implies your partner must be able to view all your chat history. However, if they just keep it around to post a few pics for the family, maybe receive event invites as they occur, I suppose it makes sense.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Not a chance! I don't want to be joined at the hip with anyone. I have my own friends.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I make fun of my brother and sister in law behind their backs for this all the time.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Definitely not! It's like you're the same person. Its screams co-depedent and dysfunctional!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I think it's really weird and goofy. They probably wear matching outfits too.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I suppose if they are mainly using Facebook to share pictures of them and the kids with family and friends then I dont see the problem. I have a couple of friends with joint accounts and thats basically all they do on Facebook.

Shared email is a bit strange if they dont have seperate ones. Im sure my fiance' would get sick of all the MFP, Zulilly, Walmart etc emails pretty quick :)
  • NereyaRanVihn
    NereyaRanVihn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, as long as it's not that they also have separate accounts and use the joint one to update mutual friends about, well, dinner parties for example. I had a friend who had a joint email account with her boyfriend. Turned out he was extremely jealous and insecure. Needless to say, they're not together anymore.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've always thought it was odd and am very curious to hear from people who do this.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    To each their own. But I find it werid
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The only friends I have on FB with joint accounts did it immediately after getting married/having a child so they wouldn't have to post updates and photos twice for their extended family and friends. Eventually the account goes back to an individual account.

On the other hand, my husband and are not friends with each other on FB and people think that's odd.
  • andythecurefan
    andythecurefan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I removed myself from Facebook a long time ago before me and wife got married. It's trust issues I suppose, but for reasons that I instilled in her. I don't need her to see me having an open forum to communicate with anyone freely. I need her to trust me. I was hoping over time it would get better...but I just feel that at the thought to go back and if I asked her she might get upset. I don't know. I think it's best for me to stay off...but I certainly wouldn't want to "share" the account with her.
  • Cudleigh
    Cudleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it. The way I see it, one person either doesn't trust the other and wants access to all of their messages and such, or they're so obsessed with each other that they want to share EVERYTHING ever.

Neither of those sounds pleasant to me. I'll keep my own page all to myself.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    That's just creepy... I have some friends that do it and no... just no... We don't have all the same friends... and family members.. .well there are some that I don't want to come in contact with from his side... and vice versa for him...
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    it is weird, but not nearly as weird as making a fb account for a newborn IMO, which i have seen
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Because they feel like it?
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't want to get married anytime soon

This and potentially being called "hubby"

Brb going to throw up
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Well what I've learned on MFP today is that unless your partner routinely checks your phone, Facebook account, and smells your junk when you get home, you're not really in a solid relationship.

Guess I'll just stay single. I have this weird thing where I kind of like being my own person.

Brett, if that was always the case... I would too..
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    post-8255-OH-HELL-TO-THE-NO-gifs-veiL.gif

Seriously, codependency is creepy y'all.