WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
2332759u1e9q32pup.gif

:bigsmile: Welcome to a community of supportive and encouraging women. The title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome. The journey to health, weight loss, energy, well-being, and longevity is best taken with others who share our goals and values.

:flowerforyou: I hope you will check in here daily and share what’s going on, respond to each other, and ask questions.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for July?

:flowerforyou: What goals and resolutions have you set for August?

:flowerforyou: Please sign your posts with your name (or alias) and your location so we can get to know each other better.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

July Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*work in the yard twice a week for an hour (success)
*brush the dogs’ teeth once a week (failed miserably)
*brush the cat’s fur twice a week (success)
*plank twice a week (success)
*yoga once a week (four times during the month)

August Resolutions
*yoga once a week
*plank twice a week
*make a new line dance CD
*weight training once a week
*18,000 steps a day

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Happy August Ladies!!!

Lin in Central Iowa
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie:heart:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping into August, too!
    Gail, metro ATL
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump from hot and kind of humid San Diego. Eileen
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good evening dear sisters. I am getting used to this awful looking thing hanging around my neck. I had managed a little pouch for it and was quite proud of myself since it didn't let the electrode wires hang all over the place. Today I was looking through the box it all came in and noticed it had a manual for the patient. HUH. Nice thing to finally notice. after reading it I decided that my pouch was not the best thing to have since the little button on the life watch device to push if I am having an 'event' wouldn't be readily available for me to hit. Actually it is two buttons one on each side I have to push simultaneously. So I took it out of my cute pouch and wrapped a rubber band around the electrodes to hold them against the device. At least now they aren't hanging beneath my shirt. I just have to remember now to remember to change the batteries Saturday and put new electrode sensors on. It's going to be a long 30 days. I just hope it is worth it. I don't want to have another event of syncope but it would help to diagnosis and treat what is going on. I haven't gone into Walgreens yet to buy any compression socks. I looked on line on their site and they have tons of wild colors available and even the normal colors all seem to be online only. HMMM, guess I better get to ordering. At least I didn't even notice it hanging around my neck while I slept. I did find out that the reciever, the cell phone, has to be connected to the charger not only all night long but for many hours during the day also. So traveling charger cord. Something else for me to have to keep out of the way so the cat won't chew on it.

I found out Michelles dogs eat each others poop and poop they find when they are out walking. I wonder if that is the reason my cat seems to want to eat her own stuff she throws up sometimes. Are they trying to replace some kind of nutrition in it?? Is that why many animals eat the after birth of their young?

So glad to see you Rita. We are all here for you and giving you one big hug. Sorry about your son. You do have a lot of reasons to be down.

Talked to my SIL today, the one whose teenage son has the obsessive defiant disorder. He is just about 2 months away now from turning 18. He had been placed in a detention center/group home after a lot of violence at home and neighborhood. He was good for about a month when he got home but then gradually started acting out again. After trying to set fire to their home and kicking his father numerous times when my brother tried to get him to stop he was taken back to jail again. His trial was today and he decided to plead guilty. So in a couple of weeks he goes to one of these boot camps where he has no option but to obey. You obey or else and it is highly regimented. When he gets out he will be 18. He then has a choice to get a job or go to college full time and live and home and be respectful or leave the home and be completely on his own. I just don't know if I could have that kind of tough love. To give you kid a suitcase and then change the locks after he leaves. You know he has no place to go. I just don't think I could have it in me. But I also couldn't stand to have a child in my home trying to set it on fire.

Why can't we enter these years in our lives after we have paid our dues, had good jobs, had our kids, and just be able to enjoy our later years and have no worries? We deserve it. I am just glad that our youngest daughter resolved her issues and we didn;t have to make those tough love choices. She was a handful during high school. Nothing like my nephews, 3 of them, but she tested her limits as much as she could and then a little more.

What kindof a singing competition is AARP having? That would be something my husband might be interested in submitting. He doesn't enjoy doing his Karoake thing unless he sees someone is enjoying his singing. He just leaves and comes home in anger

Joyce, Indiana in a very pensive mood.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    MN Margaret – another singer in our group I knew Joyce sang in her choir too…. You both are so lucky to have good voices. :smile:

Alison- sending good thoughts to you and your aunt

Gina – Vegas is close! Just a couple of hours in the air… check in when you have time, we would love to get to know you.

DrKatie – Thanks? I think….:noway:

Linda – Great NSV with the walking!!!!

Carol – good luck on your project…

Heather – so glad DH thought the place in Wales was a good idea!

Rita – Oh my!!! Glad your son has a place to live, and maybe this mess is good, my SIL got her self in a world of hurt with the police (2 DUI’s in 24 hours – one with a child in the car) and that did it, checked into detox and is going on 3 years clean and sober… Your DS is an adult right? You worry about him, but try to let him fight his own battles – this is one you can’t fix for him. Al anon is a great organization for us family/friends of folks with addiction (((hugs))))

The new dr. sounds like a great idea… you should be able to transfer all the stuff over to him while the old one is on vacation, and never have to go back.

Meg – send some cucumbers to me?

Sylvia – so glad you found the right meds and that you are with us! Congrats on all the tomatoes ; you can send me your cucumbers too.

Michele – the space is less if you do a lattice or make sure there is enough steam vents in the top crust, that will help it stay at the level of the fruit.

Well still hot here and supposed to be hotter tomorrow 102... that is ridiculous ! I can not wait for cold weather! and rain rain rain... sure hope we get loads of it. Tomorrow is a day of embroidery...

So I have been thinking about and trying to find my way - Barbie your comment about not having food as entertainment; and Heather's cooking at home have both been on my mind... I lean to Heather's way - I have a pretty nice group of friends but very few socialize with each other - they kinda seem to be independent or it it this small group and that small group... so August is always a foodie heaven:laugh: for me.. it is my birthday month and all my friends tend to take me out for a meal which can turn into 6-8 meals out... that was heaven - but welcome 2014 and MFP so I have gotten 3 to go together and we are going out on Monday to fondue (oh the calories:tongue::tongue: ..) it is 4 courses, salad, then cheese fondue, then entree fondue, then chocolate fondue - I am not sure there is enough exercise in the world to fix this... but I picked it as it will encourage interaction and is a favorite place I can not afford to go very often. Oh yeah and they also have a fabulous bar with to die for martinis:drinker: :drinker: - yes we have a DD (designated driver) Also something I would not fix at home... so if it is to be entertainment..it better be good.:bigsmile: Then there are 2 other meal outings planned but one is at a friends home so that should be fine.

Here is the link to the news show I was on... it is a bit weird to think you all will hear what I sound like - as I have given you all a "voice" in my head...http://archive.org/details/KPIX_20140724_120000_KPIX_5_News_Early_Edition#start/1140/end/1200 hope this works.

Kim from hot N. California
  • ptfanfp
    ptfanfp Posts: 1
    Options
    Good evening all from Sydney Australia. :smile:

Just logged on here for the first time, and this group just sounds like the sort of lovely ladies I'd really enjoy having a coffee with! I am so impressed with the length of time some of you have been on here, and the amounts of weight some of you have said goodbye to. I can only imagine the effort and courage behind some of those numbers.

May I introduce myself? Me, I'm 58, my DH just turned 60, we have four children and four grandchildren aged from 3 weeks to 23 months. They all live close by (one actually living with us for a couple of months), so we have the joy of seeing them very regularly. Our lives are ridiculously busy, with both of us still working (only part time for me), and PLENTY going on. Oh, and I CLEARLY hate finding a user name.

I've been doing 5:2 most of this year, and have lost about 6kg despite doing far less exercise than in recent years. Very happy with that, but I've decided to work harder at finding time for exercise, as I miss feeling fitter. Food, I think, is wonderful stuff, I enjoy cooking, and love to buy from the grower (at farmers' markets) as much as I can, and also grow a few veggies. Love to avoid processed food as much as possible, and try to follow Michael Pollan's whimsical food rules. Look forward to following your adventures!

Cheers
    Sue
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ well got a solid nights sleep and it felt good, got my tail up at 3 a.m. and had my warm lemon water and a 12 ounce glass of water and a cup of tea before heading to the gym, had my 24 oz water bottle at the gym and polished it off before leaving so 64 ounces of fluid before 6 a.m,:bigsmile:
    did the machine circuit and tried a few new things, then did 45 minutes on the treadmill at 3 mph clip and a 2 incline, I was sweating when I got off.
    came home and had some egg whites with some smoked cheddar,2 slices of ezekiel 4.9 cinnamon raisin bread with spreadable butter and a cup of tea.. over 400 calories but should keep me until lunch.
    still having connection issues with my laptop,DH is going to ask someone at work what the problem could be, I am plugged in to the internet and not on the wifi..
    I have found I am trying to get the exercise in but I feel like a bowling ball.. I have that huge flab of fat hanging around my stomach and it is just annoying:angry:
    there is no way I can afford a tummy tuck unless someone wanted to gift it to me:wink:
    At least I am trying to get and stay healthy....
    will hop in the shower and then go check on my DFIL I feel so bad for him, he was soooo out of character yesterday.. it is wild what meds can do to you.. hopefully he will get back to semi normal after a few days, it will take that long to get the meds out of his system, and I am sure he will probably be in bed when I get there, but I will put his cookies out and be on my way to work.
    It is going to be a challange going out to dinner and trying to eat clean or at least semi clean.. gonna be a sort of rainy weekend this weekend, and next weekend the DH leaves to go up to Watkin's Glen ,N.Y, for the Nascar race, I have to work Saterday anyway so that is no problem. and will hang around for the weekend ,maybe go visit with my DB and DSIL
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Happy August, lovelies!

:happy: Katla Let me know next time you visit DSIL and DH's cousin. We could get acquainted on a greenbelt or foothills stroll.
    :frown: Meg could Benny Beagle be anxious? Robby used to lick his paws when he was anxious but never to the point of sores. Scooter doesn't like my cell phone ring tones, they set him off into a frenzy of pillow chomping, as does thunder. Thinking about a comfort jacket, have you tried one on Benny Beagle? Take those cukes to the local soup kitchen. The people I've talked to at our church's food fellowship night really appreciate the chance to eat fresh vegs.
    :flowerforyou: Welcome Sue from Sydney, this IS the place!
    :noway: Barbie, 9 dances at the relay for life? Will you be dancing all night?:laugh:
    :love: Rita, Joyce, Michelle, Jane, Kim, Heather and everyone else, sending you all empathy, admiration and love.

July goals: Just for now: let anger remind to transform judging thoughts :noway: nope
    be kinder than necessary sometimes :ohwell:
    trust actually did this yesterday :happy:
    Log like Mary MSH, every bite lick or sip whether over, under or sidewise! :flowerforyou: even logged last night's disaster but not til this morning.
    Get out the tape measure - :tongue:
    and step on the scale :sad: done, ticker updated, 'nuf said.

August: keep logging AND hit mfp exercise cals burnt goal every week.
    Change those judging thoughts.
    2014: Focus on the important stuff

5:45 am MDT, time to brush teeth and get ready to go with DH and poches to the park before it gets any hotter.

Hugs,

desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who wants to feel good NOW.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    I'm on day 10 of a 15 day biz trip. Dropped by my home for a whole 16 hours so I could do laundry and repack. Today it's Jacksonville, Florida. Tomorrow, St. Augustine. Sunday, Miami. Giving myself at B- on exercise and food choices. I got on the scale and have NOT GAINED, so feeling pretty happy about that. Will catch up once I'm home next week.

Happy August. Stay well.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    Happy August!

Michele.............I use a crumb crust; never a problem and you can do it on any pie that you want.

Looking back on July:

Upset that I reached 10lbs. over in the year since getting to goal; I kicked counting and logging into high gear........managed to lose either 5 or 51/2 lbs depending on how the scale feels about me that morning. I am very pleased to now be at my lowest weight of 2014 with more to do but have put a good dent in it. The tenacious 10 will be defeated!!!!!! : = ) !!!!

Still not quite "right" after the cold; last night my ears were bothering me again and still coughing "gunk", but slept well. Took a very quiet day yesterday.

DD sent yet another email yesterday to the person at the college who has meetings with prospective grad students for vet school to give feedback..........DD is at a loss to explain what is going on but doesn't want to be so pushy that she ruffles the feathers of the people who may decide her future, while I'm about ready to strangle them............so, you can imagine the friction developing there between us, which is sad as things have been going so well.

Carol..........DD issues sound awful familiar........

Margaret...........hope you win your singing contest!!! Good luck!!

Off to have my tea and read the paper.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kim , I watched the video and loved….you look and sound even brighter and prettier than I imagined….thanks for sharing it.

:flowerforyou: Sue from Sydney, welcome….this is a great community and you will find that you have a lot in common with many of us----I live in the north of the USA and live with poodles and a cat and my darling husband and have worked hard for the last five years to build a way of life that supports health, fitness, and keeping my weight at the right level.

:flowerforyou: Meg, there is a joke around here that you should never stop at a traffic light with your car windows down lest someone in the next car would toss zucchini in your window…..the same could be said of your cucumbers.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Rita, I want to echo the suggestion that you look into Al-Anon to find solutions for yourself regarding your son----you’ll also find solutions to a lot of the other stresses in your life.

:flowerforyou: Alison, when I go out to dinner I often make special orders rather than ordering exactly what’s on the menu ..what sort of restaurant are you going to?

:flowerforyou: Barbara, we’ll be dancing for an hour----7-8 PM which is actually my bedtime so I’ll have to take a nap in the afternoon so I don’t fall asleep while dancing----Have you read “The Happiness Project”? It might be a useful tool for helping you reach your goals of trusting, judgment, and anger.

:bigsmile: Rori, I admire you so much being able to travel and maintain all your healthy habits.

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, maintaining a weight is as big a challenge as losing----it’s still requires vigilance and taking it one day at a time.

:flowerforyou: My breakfast is finished and the dogs are staring at me wanting to go for their next walk (they’ve already been out 15 minutes each)..today is the day I teach the beginning line dance class, I have some harder dances on the program along with some super easy ones so I hope there will be something for everyone…some of the dances are my favorites so I know I’ll have a good time.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington

1884975rxg0f68m70.gif
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning from sunny CNY!

I am still reading all your posts and gaining knowledge and inspiration from you daily. Sending prayers and hugs to all who need them. My stressful situation seems so much less serious when I read what some of you are dealing with.

Barbie- Thanks for keeping this going!

Deb A n CNY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Happy August! Now it is time to review July goals and post August goals.

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow. I was not perfect in this regard. :noway: I worry that getting complacent will be a longterm disaster. My weight bounced up and down a bit, and I’m still okay but I need to be faithful in my reporting.

2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. I’m doing well at this. :bigsmile: I‘ve consistently met this goal.

3. Have fun every day. I’ve met this goal for at least some part of every day. :drinker: There have been stresses and worries mixed in, but that is life.

4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! :noway: :grumble: This goal is ever my weak point. I need to keep reminding myself to drink water. If the goal was to drink coffee, I’d have no problems meeting it. I need to keep trying.

Here are my “new “ goals for August. They may look somewhat familiar.:wink::laugh:

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Checking in... I haven't been here for awhile, lots of catching up to do.

I see everyone is busy....

:drinker: I keep my windows closed and NEVER ever mention that I have a good zucchini recipe. Because then a bag of them may show up on my doorstep. And I have a plant of my very own.

:drinker: Rori - I find it very hard to travel and eat properly. I get exercise as long as I get to the hotel soon enough so that I can use the gym.

:drinker: Kids.. We give birth to them, nurture & train them and pray they grow up to be respectable adults. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it goes over bumps or runs into a mountain.....

And on that note best get a move on and have breakfast ... Grandson coming in a couple hours. He is one and very busy little boy. Hopefully the rain lets up so we can go for a walk. Need to keep up the momentum.

August goals - 100 miles, make more than 10,000 steps a day 15 days out of 31. (Made 13 in July...getting close !!)
    - weigh and log EVERYTHING!!! really want to lose those last 6 pesky pounds.

Later everyone,

Lily in rainy NW Saskatchewan
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi girls!

I'm up to my ears in taking care of the gardens, harvesting, canning, and using up last year's frozen goods. I defrosted several gallon-sized bags of berries yesterday, putting them in the blender with some water, then straining off the seeds. So far I have 2 quarts of seedless raspberry puree, not sure what I'll do with it! Might bag it up in small amounts, re-freeze, and use with my yogurt in the mornings. It's possible I might try making fruit leather, but that means having the oven on for hours. In this heat? Hmmm, I don't think so. Possibly prepare the fruit slurry, re-freeze, and make the leather on a rainy day later in the fall.

Meg, ah, yes, The Prolific Cucumber! I'm giving away cukes like crazy right now, and zucchini. I almost tossed one in Barbie's car window the other day :laugh: :laugh:

Unless you're pickling, there's not a lot you can do with them. Cucumber soup perhaps?? I just came across this recipe, sounds fantastic! I just might have to try it.

CREAMY CUCUMBER SOUP
    Source: © EatingWell Magazine
    Active Time: 35 Minutes
    Total Time: 35 Minutes
    4 servings, about 1 cup each

There’s no reason to only use cucumbers raw—they are wonderful sautéed then pureed with avocado for a silken-textured soup that’s good warm or cold.

Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.

INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 small onion, diced
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    4 cups peeled, seeded and thinly sliced cucumbers, divided
    1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    1 avocado, diced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
    1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt

DIRECTIONS
    Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 1 to 4 minutes. Add lemon juice and cook for 1 minute. Add 3 3/4 cups cucumber slices, broth, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook at a gentle simmer until the cucumbers are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.

Transfer the soup to a blender. Add avocado and parsley; blend on low speed until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Pour into a serving bowl and stir in yogurt. Chop the remaining 1/4 cup cucumber slices. Serve the soup warm or refrigerate and serve it chilled. Just before serving, garnish with the chopped cucumber and more chopped parsley, if desired.

Nutrition Information
    4 servings, about 1 cup each - Facts Per Serving:
    Calories: 173
    Fat. Total: 12g
    Carbohydrates, Total: 15g
    Cholesterol: 2mg
    Sodium: 494mg
    Protein: 4g
    Fiber: 5g

Happy August everyone! :flowerforyou:

jb in thunderstormy Portland :glasses:
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    Kim...........Have been unable to reach your video on my own, will get DD's assistance later and try again.........looking forward to seeing it!!!

Katla.............I count my tea
    it's decaf and basically colored water .........I've read several yes and no opinions on the boards as to whether or not you can/should count tea/coffee toward your water total................and I opt to count it.

yanniejannie

PS I'm noticing that some of my adds are in Spanish ............anyone else having this problema??????