Is 1000 calories too little?

Options
I've been trying to eat 1000 or less for the past few days, but I've noticed I feel very sick because of this.
(In no way do I have an eating disorder.)
So is 1000 too little? Is 1200 enough?

Replies

• kellinielson
    Options
    1000 is not enough. As a nutrition consultant I never start anyone less than 1400 (female) or 1700 (male). Then I increase from there.
  • veryprettypink
    Options
    Okay thank you haha. MFP is recommending 1200, so I'm going to aim for about that 1200-1400. :)
  • peachmagic
    peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day is not healthy or sustainable, and you'll be far better off eating more. If you can check with a doctor, if you can't try not to eat less than 1200 a day.

My doctor said 1200-1500 was a good range for weight loss for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The MFP program also expects that you will eat back the calories you burn from exercise. If you go off the MFP calorie burns, I recommend eating back 50-75% of what it gives you. The database exercise burns are a bit high.

As for how you are feeling, your body is telling you clearly that you need to eat more. Best wishes
  • veryprettypink
    Options
    Thank you. :)
  • veryprettypink
    Options
    Yes, I've noticed this tightness in my chest which I'm worried about. I guess 1000 really is a lot under what I need, haha.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Yes, I've noticed this tightness in my chest which I'm worried about. I guess 1000 really is a lot under what I need, haha.

See that concerns me a bit. How old are you? How tall? What is your weight? How much are you working out?

If you don't want to answer those questions, that is fine, but please take a read through this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It is long, but has a great amount of information to help you along the way to where you want to be without risking your health. There are many health risks to eating too little and not getting enough nutrition. You can message me if you have questions. I may not have the answers, but I will try.
  • veryprettypink
    Options
    I'm 18, 5'3 and 125 lbs. I exercise 3-8 times per week. Is 1500 good for that?
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm 18, 5'3 and 125 lbs. I exercise 3-8 times per week. Is 1500 good for that?

Put that information into MFP and let it tell you what you need to eat. That's how I've lost my weight.
  • skinnymini2552
    Options
    Lol it sounds like you're already where you need to be. Are you trying to lose weight, get toned in specific areas, or just get healthier in general?
  • veryprettypink
    Options
    I would like all of those, LOL.
  • censet7
    censet7 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you hear what I eat and how many lb I am You be Surprise. My All Entire Life I am Not diabetic But I cannot eat sweet at All. no ice cream and Never Eat chocolate never Cake, Never Ever Any Sweet Stuff in my Entire Life.I cannot Eat Sweet, it's. Burn my Troth when I eat Trust me A-B-C all Diabetic and Thyroid Test done nothing They Cannot Find Anything & I cannot even Drink Soda! Not Sweet But I drink Beer or Wine or Water. I eat Egg and Orange Juice Mornings, Salad and Fish and Salad all my Entire Life. I am addicted to salad If no salad I am not Eating Basically. How can I survive Less than 1000 Calorie A day I don't Know that But I keep Getting Big Why is That?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you exercise 3-8 times a week?why so much?

are you athlete, if so then you should know that you should be eating much much more than that. at your age i was an athlete (working 5-10 times a week) and at 5'5 120 pounds i needed to eat a bit over 3K to maintain my weight... 1500 at your age with that much exercise is probably far to low for safe weightloss
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Yes, yes it is.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    No its not to little. But the problem is your appetite. You have to find food or beverages that suppress your appetite. You will eat less during the day and not have to struggle with your brain tricking you into thinking your hungry. I use synedrex and it suppresses my appetite through the day. My calories was 1200 to 1500 a day. Now its like 500 to 1000, or whatever I so choose cause im raely hungry. Also green tea suppresses it too. Try my advice and let me know cause what works for me may not work for someone else.

Nicole-Scherzinger-no-baby-no.gif
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    OP, I love your profile pic!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    No its not to little. But the problem is your appetite. You have to find food or beverages that suppress your appetite. You will eat less during the day and not have to struggle with your brain tricking you into thinking your hungry. I use synedrex and it suppresses my appetite through the day. My calories was 1200 to 1500 a day. Now its like 500 to 1000, or whatever I so choose cause im raely hungry. Also green tea suppresses it too. Try my advice and let me know cause what works for me may not work for someone else.

Nicole-Scherzinger-no-baby-no.gif

What's really scary is... that comment came from a 24 yo male. 500-1000 is worrying for a 24 yo female. It is... terrifying for a male.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is too little for ANYONE. Look at the links others have posted - you want to tone up HEALTHY...and be CONSISTENT. Doing it the unhealthy way does nothing for you and stresses your body causing harm and deficits in other areas.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Are you selling this stuff, because you've mentioned it in another post now too?

Are you recommending that someone who is a normal weight, should be eating less than 1000 calories each day?

As a guy, 1200 calories is way too low, never mind going less.

ETA: Synedrex from: http://www.dietpillswatchdog.com/synedrex/
    Synedrex Concerns:
    Synedrex contains ingredients banned by the FDA
    May cause strokes and heart attacks
    Lack of independent customer reviews