Help! Scale is not moving...

Options
2»

Replies

• richtala
    richtala Posts: 10
    Options
    Add fiber to your tracked macros and shoot for 20% of your carbohydrate intake.
  • melodiarentsen
    melodiarentsen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are eating a lot of high calorie carbs: breads, noodles, etc. I would replace those (maybe not all since you enjoy them) with protein and produce. I get mad at myself when I eat too many carbs because they make me feel bloated and they rack up my calories like crazy. They also do not sustain energy for me meaning that I am hungry again quickly after eating them. Protein takes longer to burn, so I can go longer in between eating. Just my opinion. I am certainly not an expert. Good luck.:bigsmile:
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Well now you are talking about personal experience. There are several triggers of satiety and I'm guessing if a person is overweight, some of them work less well than they should. The one I know works for me is fat. The one that works for you (and apparently a statistically significant sample per the nlm) is protein. For other people it is fiber (stomach distension), for others carbs.

Everyone's body is different and individuals must experiment to find out which of the satiety triggers works well for their body, and use that trigger intelligently when dieting to reduce the urge to exceed the calorie target.

If you are ravenous all the time on a diet that is only marginally restricted, then you are on the wrong diet in terms of the satiety triggers that work for you. (everyone will be hungry on a very strongly restricted calorie target).
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious how active were you before you started trying to lose weight?
    If you've made a jump from 0-1 days a week at the gym, to 5-6 days and occasional 2-a-day workouts, there's a good chance that too much exercise is actually your issue.
    I know that sounds silly, you're burning more calories, creating a bigger deficit, so why wouldn't you lose? But constant exercise like that can make you retain water weight like crazy by causing minor swelling in your joints/muscles. Plus, aren't you sore?
    I've been doing this for a few years, and I find that anytime I step into more than about 4 workouts a week, I start gaining from those and other reasons.
    Weightloss is a long-haul journey, not a 2-3 month commitment, so I think you should look at a program that's sustainable to you in the long term.

I know you haven't really seen an on-scale loss, but you're doing great. You've made a giant commitment and you're obviously doing your best to keep up your end. I'm sure that at the very least, you've likely seen endurance increases and the like, so be proud of what has changed about your body, even if it's only feeling better/more energetic, or being able to run a longer distance etc. You really are doing great, you just need to figure out what works for you and your body. Good luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious how active were you before you started trying to lose weight?
    If you've made a jump from 0-1 days a week at the gym, to 5-6 days and occasional 2-a-day workouts, there's a good chance that too much exercise is actually your issue.
    I know that sounds silly, you're burning more calories, creating a bigger deficit, so why wouldn't you lose? But constant exercise like that can make you retain water weight like crazy by causing minor swelling in your joints/muscles. Plus, aren't you sore?
    I've been doing this for a few years, and I find that anytime I step into more than about 4 workouts a week, I start gaining from those and other reasons.
    Weightloss is a long-haul journey, not a 2-3 month commitment, so I think you should look at a program that's sustainable to you in the long term.

I know you haven't really seen an on-scale loss, but you're doing great. You've made a giant commitment and you're obviously doing your best to keep up your end. I'm sure that at the very least, you've likely seen endurance increases and the like, so be proud of what has changed about your body, even if it's only feeling better/more energetic, or being able to run a longer distance etc. You really are doing great, you just need to figure out what works for you and your body. Good luck!

This.

I would say though that your drive is great but you aren't "doing great" simply because you are trying too hard. Exercise less or eat more and try to relax about it a bit. Its almost like you are trying to punish yourself the way you are approaching this.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You are eating a lot of high calorie carbs: breads, noodles, etc. I would replace those (maybe not all since you enjoy them) with protein and produce. I get mad at myself when I eat too many carbs because they make me feel bloated and they rack up my calories like crazy. They also do not sustain energy for me meaning that I am hungry again quickly after eating them. Protein takes longer to burn, so I can go longer in between eating. Just my opinion. I am certainly not an expert. Good luck.:bigsmile:

Did you notice how much she is working out? If you work out that much you need those "high calorie" carbs. Also how many "high calorie" things could she possibly be eating at 1350 calories a day?