Banging my head on the desk

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's your head, bang it if you want to.

Muscle does weigh more than fat, and I'm living proof. I step on the scale and weigh the same but I've lost inches from heavy weight lifting and my clothes are looser. THIS is what many people mean when the say muscle weighs more than fat.

I don't think people realize what the term really means, but I'm sure they realize thst a pound of anything does not weigh more or less than a pound of anything else.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Ok, seriously, just saw it again in several posts.

Please, people, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

I'm sure that what you're trying to say is that muscle masses more than fat, in that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, but please repeat after me:

a pound is a pound is a pound is a pound is a pound.

a kilo is a kilo is a kilo is a kilo is a kilo.

Thank you - let the snarks begin!

you realize everyone understand this right? its implied
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options

Please, people, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

I'm sure that what you're trying to say is that muscle masses more than fat, in that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, but please repeat after me:

Mass is mass. Kilo is a kilo, so you said it wrong. Muscle is more dense than fat. This is implied when people say muscle weighs more than fat. Like someone above said, it's really only an issue if someone says a kg of fat is less than a kg of muscle.

And a pound isn't always a pound. Pounds-mass and pounds-force are two different things, so unless someone is differentiating by writing "lb-m" or "lb-f", how do you really know what they mean? Maybe they're saying that they can run faster with more muscle and the higher velocity gives it more pound-force.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I am banging my head on the desk because it seems like everyone is killing themselves with workouts and doesn't track their food. I thought this was kind of the POINT of My Fitness Pal...logging your calories.

smh

omg get your own thread!

7f2bHummer-Catz-GIF-5.gif

I thought this was "the reasons why I'm banging my head" thread.

oh well in that case, im banging my head on my desk because i didnt realize this was a "reasons why im banging my head on my desk" thread.

yo dawg....

You thought the point was to discuss whether a pound of fat equals a pound of muscle?!?

Why would we discuss that?

well i figured since we haven't done that in a couple hours it was time to do it again.

that said, i'm noticing that there are a LOT of bullies and internet online world wide web bullying going on here.

what gives? lets discuss that...

hateyou.gif

SEE WHAT I MEAN?!?!

meanss.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Mass is mass. Kilo is a kilo, so you said it wrong. Muscle is more dense than fat. This is implied when people say muscle weighs more than fat. Like someone above said, it's really only an issue if someone says a kg of fat is less than a kg of muscle.

And a pound isn't always a pound. Pounds-mass and pounds-force are two different things, so unless someone is differentiating by writing "lb-m" or "lb-f", how do you really know what they mean? Maybe they're saying that they can run faster with more muscle and the higher velocity gives it more pound-force.

My fat is definitely low-velocity.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    ALL HAIL LORD NITPICK!

King of all the nitpickers.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Another way to put this is that muscle has more mass than fat. mass/=weight Mass is a measurement of volume+weight simplistically speaking.

Um.. no. That's not correct.

Mass=/=weight

But mass is not a measurement of weight and volume. Mass is a measurement of " the body's resistance to being accelerated by a force and the strength of its mutual gravitational attraction with other bodies"

You're looking for the word density! "mass per unit volume"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_acceleration
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(force)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    73c2ea6da7a90c6a6772468344acbb373e59.jpg
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Seriously.... why would you ever bother getting upset about "muscle weighs more than fat" if there is no units included? The logical assumption is a comparison of equal measurements (volume) differs by another measurement (weight).

I honestly thought you started this thread because people were saying "a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat" - but thats not the case.

No sir. You got my natural reaction to inaccurate logic all riled up for the wrong reason.

PS - if op =/= sir please replace the previous line with the most appropriate term of courtesy from this list: ma'am, distinguished person
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    verykatie,

I like the way you physics.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    verykatie,

I like the way you physics.

Aw yeah, physics! I totz understandz statics. I'm weak in dynamics though.
    Also.. weird comment, but the lady in your photo looks like my cousin. But I checked. She is not.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Thx for clearing that up.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    bang-head-here.jpg
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You're not as smart as you think you are OP!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Well technically a cubic inch of fat takes up the same volume as a cubic inch of muscle, it just has a weight.

Point being you can go from it from either direction and call the other side idiots.

Yes muscle is more dense than fat but you know I think everyone pretty much understands that and they just say "muscle weighs more than fat" because its more the colloquial language. Same as if I told you that lead weighed more than feathers you would know what I meant by that and I would know what I meant by that. What is the point in pointing out the obvious and making a stink about the colloquial usage of words.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Well technically a cubic inch of fat takes up the same volume as a cubic inch of muscle, it just has a weight.

Point being you can go from it from either direction and call the other side idiots.

Yes muscle is more dense than fat but you know I think everyone pretty much understands that and they just say "muscle weighs more than fat" because its more the colloquial language. Same as if I told you that lead weighed more than feathers you would know what I meant by that and I would know what I meant by that. What is the point in pointing out the obvious and making a stink about the colloquial usage of words.

I think that you are derailing the thread.

The point is to list the things that make you bang your head on the desk, not to argue semantics.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    SCIENCE!!

wheeeeee!

(ps. anyone with a brain that works with logic knows that when people say that they dont mean a pound weighs more than a pound. why would anyone ever say or imply that? personally i think the logic that sees people saying a pound is more than a pound when people say it is more flawed than the one that says muscle weighs more than fat... in my opinion)

LOGIC!!! it goes well with science.

I actually did see someone claim that ONE time.

Once in almost 4 years.

Did she do Tae Bo?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

The point is to list the things that make you bang your head on the desk, not to argue semantics.

Whoops sorry, had only read the original post not the thread...had not realized we had moved on to gifs.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Well do you know what really irks me, it is when someone points to something to describe it, say an apple, and then says "that is red" when clearly the word "that" has no color and is therefore not red. So stupid.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Whoops sorry, had only read the original post not the thread...had not realized we had moved on to gifs.

This is a fat=/=muscle thread. We move to gifs immediately.