Things that suck about being fat

Options
12346»

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that sucks for me is not the physical aspects as much as the mental aspects! To feel not as worthy a person because of my size is the worst thing ever and certainly not the message I want to send to my children!

I was horrible about that for the first part of my weight loss. Several times I thought to myself I'm glad I don't have a daughter and I'm even lucky my son didn't develop an eating disorder or body image issues just from my attitude about my weight. But I'm all about the health food benefits now. My kid is so sick of hearing about how much better I feel on healthy food than junk he'll probably develop a selective hearing disorder instead. Oh wait, he's had that ever since I first asked him to clean up his room.

And look at you running! Now that is a good message to send to your kids. Health!
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Hating how I look in EVERY picture, sitting or standing, cute outfit or not. I just want to be like "oh, cute picture" and be done with it. Also feeling judged when I order food, always.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I hate the fact I lost my control of erections. For example, being able to instant get it up and down when I want to.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    To feel not as worthy a person because of my size is the worst thing ever and certainly not the message I want to send to my children!
    If you have a moment, check out the below link--"Love yourself, Live Fully, No Excuses"--

http://nobodyshame.com/

You don't have to feel unworthy or live a second-class life due to weight. Perhaps this temporary gain is a teachable moment, where can show your kids not only how to be healthy, but for those rare times they are overweight, how to not let that hold them back from accomplishing all their many dreams in life. :)
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    All of the above! Some have been mentioned but the worst for me are just getting from one place to another, even 50 steps tires me out.

Can't tie my shoes or paint my toes.

Can't even balance myself when trying to do yoga, let alone any of the poses!

Getting ready for work wipes me out.

If I'm on the go from work to something else and must eat something on the road, I feel like people are looking at me eating in my car and thinking I have no self control to wait until I get home!

I'm mortified when I walk into a restaurant (or any place) and see tables too close together and wondering if I'll fit through the empty space, and having to brush up against someone or their chair. Also trying to get in a booth and the host asks me if I'd like a table instead!

Can't stand for more than 5-10 minutes without pain in knees and legs.

Have to order clothes online. The only ones that really fit me in plus size stores look frumpy and not stylish.

I can go on and on ......
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think FUPA stands for "fat upper pubic area"...that's what I've always heard anyway.

I think the worst thing about being fat is other peoples' negative assumptions...especially if you are obese/morbidly obese, a lot of people (including some fellow fat people) will assume one or many of the following things...that you are lazy, unintelligent, do not care about your health, take Rx meds for many health issues, have hypertension/diabetes/infertility, can't walk long distances or climb stairs, do not have healthy lifestyle habits in ANY WAY, binge eat, overeat at every meal, have a bad sex life, and are not stylish or sophisticated in any way. By no means an exhaustive list, either.

That stuff used to p** me off something awful because for me none of it was true...for some reason it bothered me MOST when other obese or morbidly obese women assumed it about me. I wasn't in denial about being dangerously obese, but I didn't have the issues that were assumed.

I'm completely with you on these points! Especially on the overweight peer assumptions and over eating.

I've always been in extremely good health, regardless of my weight(luckily!)...
    Just last week my new boss and I were headed to a meeting and she asked me if I wanted to ride the elevator down one floor (and up, after the meeting was over), or if I had problems with the stairs leading up to the front doors of the building (all three of them) and did I want to use the ramp and handrail.

As a single mom, I do everything around the house, ie., landscaping, cleaning, garbage removal, home repairs and I think this has helped me maintain what health and stamina I do have.

Other peeves:
    -When I mention my health & weight loss goals to anyone in a discussion, the #1 assumption is that I'm only doing so to qualify for bariatric surgery.
    -Doctors pushing me towards bariatric surgery when I ask for advice and when I inform them that I am interested in changing my lifestyle habits, they get this glazed look on their face and I swear they think I'm working towards a prescription to support my weight loss (scripts such as what? speed? wtf!?)
    -Assumptions that I only date black guys...cuz they're the only ones who like a big *kitten*? Pfft
    -Guys who assume you're easily manipulated, because you're soooo grateful that someone is interested.
    -Idiots, usually intoxicated, who yell out their vehicle as they drive by you, yelling something like Pig or Cow, or fat b*tch
    -plus size clothes...clearly designed to keep women fat by making sure they never feel confident in how they're dressed, or by making sure the good stuff costs a fortune. I don't care what the fad is or your body type, horizontal stripes are a bad idea!
    -arm fat....nuff said
    -lack of eye contact
    -assumptions of laziness
  • cld1075
    cld1075 Posts: 25
    Options
    - Being tired after little effort is exerted.
    - Those "positions" I used to enjoy but now feel self conscious being in.
    - My BELLY...ugghhh
    - Losing weight every where but my dang belly (boobs/butt...I am fond of them dang it and wish they would stay)
    - Avoiding swimsuits like the plague.
    - Lower self esteem :(
  • jeannelabanane
    jeannelabanane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that sucks for me is not the physical aspects as much as the mental aspects! To feel not as worthy a person because of my size is the worst thing ever and certainly not the message I want to send to my children!

I was horrible about that for the first part of my weight loss. Several times I thought to myself I'm glad I don't have a daughter and I'm even lucky my son didn't develop an eating disorder or body image issues just from my attitude about my weight. But I'm all about the health food benefits now. My kid is so sick of hearing about how much better I feel on healthy food than junk he'll probably develop a selective hearing disorder instead. Oh wait, he's had that ever since I first asked him to clean up his room.

And look at you running! Now that is a good message to send to your kids. Health!

My little girl (5) is convinced I have a baby in my belly. I struggled a long time to figure out how to explain that I was not pregnant, but just "big". I ended up telling her that people come in different shapes and sizes, and I am shaped that way.

It peeves me off when my mom rattles on about her weight loss/gain in front of her. They pick up on everything. I try to be as discreet as possible in front of her and emphasize that food is for nutrition (I tell her eating her chicken gives her "muscles").

I'm still afraid she's going to have messed up self-esteem like I did when she gets older, even though I was a thin teenager (I thought I was fat).
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

My little girl (5) is convinced I have a baby in my belly. I struggled a long time to figure out how to explain that I was not pregnant, but just "big". I ended up telling her that people come in different shapes and sizes, and I am shaped that way.

It peeves me off when my mom rattles on about her weight loss/gain in front of her. They pick up on everything. I try to be as discreet as possible in front of her and emphasize that food is for nutrition (I tell her eating her chicken gives her "muscles").

I'm still afraid she's going to have messed up self-esteem like I did when she gets older, even though I was a thin teenager (I thought I was fat).

You're definitely right about kids. Hopefully your good influence will override your Mom's negative one. Makes me realize I probably haven't always been as careful about what I say round my nieces and nephews, either. I ought to watch that. My mouth. It likes to go off and do its own thing sometimes.
  • shanlivestrong
    shanlivestrong Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Nice thread! Very motivational! There are so many things I can't wait to end when it comes to my weight.
    *arm fat ( I've never worn a tank top as a shirt because I hate my flabby arms and I love that look)
    *sweating! everywhere! and having to put powder on everywhere in order to somewhat control it
    *having to use my arms or a pillow to hide my stomach when I'm sitting down
    *wearing cardigans or big shirts in the summer to 'hide' my fat
    *being the fat one at my family reunion (and my uncles always point out how big I am like it's funny)
    *looking pregnant (one of my uncles actually thought I was pregnant with twins when my other cousin was so obviously the one wobbling around 9 months pregnant. embarrassing!)
    *my mom constantly saying how big my legs/calves are
    *being the fat one in my relationship
    *not being able to lay on my boyfriend when we're watching movies (he always asks and I always say no)
    *wanting to stay in the house all the time because I don't want to be seen
    *my thighs rubbing together
    *not buying the clothes I really like
    *avoiding all swimming pools
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    -Assumptions that I only date black guys...cuz they're the only ones who like a big *kitten*? Pfft

We have a winner!
  • SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options

^^ This.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Lying on my back in bed was hard because I felt like my double chin was choking me.
  • fibbersteve
    fibbersteve Posts: 7 Member
    Options

omg I thought I was the only one that does that, always the pillow
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I hated everything about being fat, so I decided to change it :)
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This look on my kids face when I have to bag out early on fun but physical activities.

My work uniforms are unflattering for females, more so because of my weight.

That awkward moment when you realize that you have become what you haughtily proclaimed you never would be.

The panic you have when the outfit you were planning on wearing for today's special occasion doesn't really fit that well and you have to come up with a plan B.
  • SsetAdnama
    SsetAdnama Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hated everything about being fat, so I decided to change it :)

Me too! But I haven't gotten too far...yet. :)
  • benchsquad65
    benchsquad65 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For me, it was looking down and not being able to see my mushroomtip anymore. Had to hold up my fat so my doctor could check me for testicular cancer.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    The physical things are easy ... the mental things not so much.

I personally had and am still having issues mentally due to the changes in losing weight .. somethings are good about being fatter.

I am pretty skinny now and I wish I had some of that fat back. So .. be careful what you wish for. Life is not always greener on the other side of the fence.