Quick Poll: Do you.....

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    I usually make it a point to put my carts in the corral, however if the thing is across the parking lot and I am shopping alone with my daughter I don't, but I will try and put it out of the way, whether on the curb or off to the side.

I am not comfortable being across a parking lot and turning my back to her with her alone in the car so I am willing to be an a-hole for that occasion.

You could take your daughter to the cart corral with you and then walk her back to the car once it is safely put away where it will not smash into anyone else's car. This is the time I use to give my kids a fun ride in the empty cart or to let my older son practice pushing the cart in an area that is wider than a grocery aisle. (Not just to you, but also others who worry about leaving their kids in the car while parking the cart.)

that's fine if you have one walking age child - not so good if you have a toddler and a baby.(yes I know that isn't the person you are replying to but just as an example)

If you cannot return the trolley for reasons like having 2 small children who cannot be left ,then I think you do the best you can - put it as neatly out of the way as possible.

Everybody who can, should certainly return trolleys though.

I had a 6 year old, 18 month old and new born at one point in time and made it work. I do understand that not everyone can, though. That's why I grab carts along the way, too. I just hope that those who don't put carts away just shrug it off when they come out to find a random cart has smashed into their car.

Yes I would mostly just buckle them in and then return trolley if corral was not far away and car was within sight while I did it - but sometimes you cant park that close or your kids are too upset or something - in that case, do the best you can, put it neatly out of the way somewhere near by.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    lol, when asked, EVERYONE ALWAYS puts their cars away. I think carts move themselves to the parking lots when no ones looking.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    lol, when asked, EVERYONE ALWAYS puts their cars away. I think carts move themselves to the parking lots when no ones looking.

or those who don't put them away don't post in the thread, that's all. :wink:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    The parking lots have been embarassingly full of carts! And I often see them just being left by someone. I want to say something, but nah. Why stir another person up, and who knows why they really did that? But most of the time......seriously. This is bad.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Considering that children who cannot walk need to be in a car seat, couldn't you buckle them in and lock the doors for the 20 seconds that it takes to return the cart?
    No. Just no.

Ok, then put the groceries in the trunk, keep the baby in the cart, then pick the baby up when you return the cart to its proper place and carry it back to the car.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    I usually make it a point to put my carts in the corral, however if the thing is across the parking lot and I am shopping alone with my daughter I don't, but I will try and put it out of the way, whether on the curb or off to the side.

I am not comfortable being across a parking lot and turning my back to her with her alone in the car so I am willing to be an a-hole for that occasion.

You could take your daughter to the cart corral with you and then walk her back to the car once it is safely put away where it will not smash into anyone else's car. This is the time I use to give my kids a fun ride in the empty cart or to let my older son practice pushing the cart in an area that is wider than a grocery aisle. (Not just to you, but also others who worry about leaving their kids in the car while parking the cart.)

that's fine if you have one walking age child - not so good if you have a toddler and a baby.(yes I know that isn't the person you are replying to but just as an example)

If you cannot return the trolley for reasons like having 2 small children who cannot be left ,then I think you do the best you can - put it as neatly out of the way as possible.

Everybody who can, should certainly return trolleys though.

I had a 6 year old, 18 month old and new born at one point in time and made it work. I do understand that not everyone can, though. That's why I grab carts along the way, too. I just hope that those who don't put carts away just shrug it off when they come out to find a random cart has smashed into their car.

I honestly find it hard to believe you have never not put a cart back in the corral ever.
    Not all children are your children, some children have melt downs by the end of shopping or throw themselves down in the parking lot, or yank their hands out of their parents hands.

My example is for the occasions i get stuck in a parking space in the very front of my publix where they don't have corrals close to the parking spaces.

But for the record, I do sincerely hope a cart I have left has never damaged anyone's vehicle.
  • wheird
    Considering that children who cannot walk need to be in a car seat, couldn't you buckle them in and lock the doors for the 20 seconds that it takes to return the cart?

You'll get arrested for that here in the southern colonies

Really now? Even for that short a period?

In all seriousness, I turn the car on then return the shopping cart. No way I'd put my kids in the car here without first turning the air on. 95 degrees outside means the interior temps get out of control otherwise.

Ok, I can see temperature causing an issue.
  • MinMin97
    No. Just no.

Ok, then put the groceries in the trunk, keep the baby in the cart, then pick the baby up when you return the cart to its proper place and carry it back to the car.
    BAH! People with no children have no idea.....just how exhausted parents are. BUT!! If you are volunteering to take us moms shopping and be the caddy......you're on!
  • wheird
    No. Just no.

BAH! People with no children have no idea.....just how exhausted parents are. BUT!! If you are volunteering to take us moms shopping and be the caddy......you're on!

I have no issue offering to take the cart of someone else back when I am returning my own. Or saving them the trouble of taking it back and taking it inside when I'm headed that way. I'm polite a'f.
  • MinMin97
    No. Just no.

I have no issue offering to take the cart of someone else back when I am returning my own. Or saving them the trouble of taking it back and taking it inside when I'm headed that way. I'm polite a'f.
    Yayyy!!! I love a guy with no issues!!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Sometimes I put it away, other times I don't. I always park far away to avoid idiots parking by me and denting up my car, so if I'm far away, I'll put the cart up on the curb so it can't blow away in the parking lot and dent someone else's car.

I worked at a supermarket for 5 years and got carts, so some other kid can do that for me now occasionally.

Just leaving the cart out in the open where it can roll around and hit someone's car, or leave it in a parking space, or handicap space, is just being lazy and uncool.
  • wheird
    Sometimes I put it away, other times I don't. I always park far away to avoid idiots parking by me and denting up my car, so if I'm far away, I'll put the cart up on the curb so it can't blow away in the parking lot and dent someone else's car.

I worked at a supermarket for 5 years and got carts, so some other kid can do that for me now occasionally.

Just leaving the cart out in the open where it can roll around and hit someone's car, or leave it in a parking space, or handicap space, is just being lazy and uncool.

You are the reason why Detroit is crumbling in on itself.
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Yeah, unless I'm parked right next to a cart corral, I don't bother either when the children are in the car. If I'm shopping alone, though, I'll usually return it.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Im always in my gym clothes stopping at store on the way home so id look pretty lame if i didnt walk the cart back.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    I park far away for two reasons: Exercise and no dings on my new van. I also make a point of running my cart back to the corral. Burn them calories, baby!!
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    I'm an over achiever I always put mine away! Hello the coral says it helps to keep prices down! ;)
  • Cudleigh
    Cudleigh Posts: 188 Member
    I always do. I park in the middle of nowhere because I suck at parking, and I still put my carriage back. Mostly because I hate when I try to to pull through in a spot, and I can't because there's a cart there.

You're going to walk all around the store. You can't walk an extra ten feet to put it back?
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    I always park right next to the cart thingy in the lot, and I put mine away. If I see an employee gathering carts I'll take it to them. And if a cart is in the lot I'll take it in with me to use.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    If a return is within 8 spaces yes. Otherwise i push it into the nearest prius so they dont roll and damage anything important.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    OMFG I moved from the midwest where not putting a cart away is the sure sign of a damned soul to Florida where 80% of people don't even try. And I am talking about regular, single people 30 feet from a corral or the store. Drives me insane!