Does anybody actually measure out salad dressing?

Replies

• Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Tupperware makes small containers for salad dressing. 2 TBS fills one of those about 2/3 of the way full.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    :blushing: I do.
    Is that weird? :laugh:
    I weigh it cause I tend to HEAP tablespoons cause I'm greeedy.
    {whispers} greeeedyyyyy
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Absolutely.

I weigh it.

Yep, me too! Weigh it. For example, my bottle of Kraft dressing says 2TBSP serving weighs 32grams. Weighing it is so much easier than digging out a tablespoon, and more accurate. Place bowl of salad on scale and zero it. Squirt out the dressing and log the number of grams (or ounces).

Same for peanut butter. Throw that piece of bread (or spoon or apples, etc.) on the scale. Zero it out. Load up the peanut butter on it and weigh it. Boom. Done.

ETA: I do this, since those items are/can be quite calorie dense. Balsamic vinegar I use a tablespoon (it's like, 15 calories or something a tablespoon). But something that's 100 cal/TBSP, yeah, there's a lot of room for "error." Like 50-100 calories of error. PB and ranch in the same day? It could be 200 calories over if "eyeballing."
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    If I'm home I do pull out the measuring spoon and measure it. I also pre measure it in the morning if I pack a salad and dressing for lunch. However, if I am out, I just eyeball it and hope it's pretty accurate
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Yep. If I don't measure all condiments, I'll end up eating like 5-6 tbsp. Calories add up!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    When I do use condiments, I weigh the whole bottle, tare, pour onto salad, weigh bottle again (number displayed will be -26grams or however many I used), record on MFP.

Using a tablespoon creates more dishes.

EDIT: English.
    you could just stick your plate on the food scale then turn it on...it will be at a zero, then you drizzle on until you hit 26 grams or whatever the desired amount.

yep...exactly what I do.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I do, especially if the bottle says mL instead of a gram weight. The first time I'll pour into measures set on my scale, then I write it on the bottle cap and weigh from then on (making a new MFP entry if needed)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    You bet I measure out those little fat, sugar and sodium bombs!

Ordinarily, I just weigh it on the scale.

BUT--if you have one of those little cups that comes with oral medications and measures tablespoons, they're usually pretty accurate too.
    I've tested them against my food scale and they do work!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    When I do use condiments, I weigh the whole bottle, tare, pour onto salad, weigh bottle again (number displayed will be -26grams or however many I used), record on MFP.

Using a tablespoon creates more dishes.

EDIT: English.
    you could just stick your plate on the food scale then turn it on...it will be at a zero, then you drizzle on until you hit 26 grams or whatever the desired amount.

I prefer the negative weight method for items with a wide top like peanut butter, and also the mayo I have at home is in a jar. I also use it for portioning out cooked food from a batch.

Both methods are highly effective and really simplify the food weighing process! :)
  • LadyGisborne
    LadyGisborne Posts: 32 Member
    I do. And I make my own salad dressing with mustard, yogurt, vinegar and a little oil.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    I put 1TBLS in a dipping cup and dip my fork in BEFORE taking a bite of salad. I've figured I eat about a half or three quarters of a tablespoon doing it that way.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I do but wish I could figure out grams instead of measuring with Tablespoons. Weighing is so much eaiser than measuring a liquid that sticks to the Tablespoon.

The labels say 2 Tbsp or 30 ml.

What's the product?

I may be about to lose money here but willing to bet a dollar the label also lists a weight in grams or oz.

I weigh but only because I want to log accurately. It could be one tablespoon or I could be using up to a cup/half cup for a recipe :smile:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Absolutely.

I weigh it.

Yep.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Put plate with salad on scale, tare it, add dressing. That way you don't have to lick the spoon to get all your dressing off. Can't be missing out on those calories now.
  • trombonegds
    trombonegds Posts: 19 Member
    I always measure, I bought a measuring spoon set that has a 2T spoon. After reading this thread though, I might start weighing everything. My family will thank me for not having to wash all those measuring spoons/cups. Plus there is always some that sticks to the spoon or cup and I feel cheated, lol.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Yep. Put my bowl on the scale and slowly drizzle until I reach the grams. OR I use a TBS and do just some balsamic vinegar.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    For water 1 ml = 1 gram. It'll be a little different for salad dressing as fat is slightly lighter but it's not enough to worry about.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I put 1TBLS in a dipping cup and dip my fork in BEFORE taking a bite of salad. I've figured I eat about a half or three quarters of a tablespoon doing it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

I'd suggest watching it because there really is a pretty significant difference between servings per grams than per tablespoons/measuring.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    When I am tracking I do, I put my salad on a scale and measure it by the grams, I find that if I don't I put lots of dressing on and only count it as one serving when it could be three and depending on the dressing could be hundreds of calories. I think it is easier to measure it by the gram instead of by the tbls
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I weigh my salad dressing and everything else I eat, using the method mentioned by other posters. I zero out the scale then add my next ingredient.