Eating Back Morning Calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I'm completely confused. We are supposed to eat back our exercise calories???

For the most part, yes. MFP already calculates in a deficit, so if you don't eat back your exercise calories then you're at an even larger deficit. In general, you should aim to net your initial MFP allowance.

Ha! I seriously had no idea! No wonder now that I'm exercising more, I'm starving all the time!

That's why the site adds calories to your goal when you log exercise.

I appreciate the help! Even though I've totally taken over someone elses post. I went back through my report and only hit my net 13 times in the past 90 days. This may be why I'm feeling sluggish on top of hungry. There are days that my net is only 200+/- calories if I have a big exercise day.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So i workout on an empty stomach every morning, i prefer it this way and it makes me less hungry through out the day and keeps me way more motivated. I burn about 250 calories (Cardio exercise) I log it into MFP and it adds calories onto my daily intake. I am aware i am supposed to eat back the calories i burn throughout the day, but does that apply to the calories i burned without eating any food?
    Err Why would you think just because you didn't eat before exercise you wouldn't have eat them back? Think logically

shutup

Did you see this guys weight loss ticker. Despite his bluntness, you should probably take heed, and not tell him to shut up. You can learn a lot in these forums, but not if you are going to be defensive.

But you can be a jerk regardless if you've lost a bunch of weight or not

True, but I didn't think he was being a jerk.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    So i workout on an empty stomach every morning, i prefer it this way and it makes me less hungry through out the day and keeps me way more motivated. I burn about 250 calories (Cardio exercise) I log it into MFP and it adds calories onto my daily intake. I am aware i am supposed to eat back the calories i burn throughout the day, but does that apply to the calories i burned without eating any food?
    Err Why would you think just because you didn't eat before exercise you wouldn't have eat them back? Think logically

shutup

Did you see this guys weight loss ticker. Despite his bluntness, you should probably take heed, and not tell him to shut up. You can learn a lot in these forums, but not if you are going to be defensive.

But you can be a jerk regardless if you've lost a bunch of weight or not

True, but I didn't think he was being a jerk.

Some people can interpret "think logically" as being called an idiot. I suspect the OP did as well. To be honest I just kind of said wow and kept on reading, but her response made me laugh :smile:
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I'm completely confused. We are supposed to eat back our exercise calories???

For the most part, yes. MFP already calculates in a deficit, so if you don't eat back your exercise calories then you're at an even larger deficit. In general, you should aim to net your initial MFP allowance.

Ha! I seriously had no idea! No wonder now that I'm exercising more, I'm starving all the time!

I appreciate the help! Even though I've totally taken over someone elses post. I went back through my report and only hit my net 13 times in the past 90 days. This may be why I'm feeling sluggish on top of hungry. There are days that my net is only 200+/- calories if I have a big exercise day.

:noway: Eek! No wonder you've been feeling off...EAT!!! :drinker:
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Very bad net, your net should be your daily goal. MFP tells you to eat back your calories, so you should. That's why it's there...

Completely understand now. For the longest time I wasn't exercising, so I didn't have this issue. Now that I am weight training and doing cardio, walking, etc. I have been feeling sluggish, hungry, kind of grumpy. Thought maybe I was just being a baby, but this is explains why. Now there are days that my net is closer to my goal, but those are on low exercise days. I will pay better attention now that I understand how all this works with exercise. Thanks!