good food/bad food

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Okay to make it clear. I know what my quoted post is going to cause a hissystorm. I just wanted to say. That healthy foods do make weight loss easier and by making you feel full and keeping blood sugar balanced. But the op asked and I answered. But for weight loss you have to be Ina deficit! * yells at computer quit it spell check* . Healthy foods will benifits your health but won't cause automatic weight loss! Okay! There *closes book*

Your post simply makes zero sense. It's typical low fat dogma.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, there is no such thing as good and bad foods. It's a matter of being in a caloric deficit.

For health, there are good and bad foods. Everyone has different opinions/beliefs on what falls under each category. I personally think "good foods" are whole and unprocessed, i.e. fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, fish, whole grains like quinoa and brown rice, etc.

I think "bad foods" are processed, fast food, deep fried foods, artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, HFCS.
  • cowebber123
    Options
    You know what I give up this place it isn't supportive. Yes some of you are actually helping and I'm sorry I didn't point out who they wrre and who wasn't. I just wanted a basic idea and I'm sorry if my questions were "dumb" or repetitive or something but their real questions. I didnt know what type of food to stay away from or not or if it was good for me or not i understand chips bad and veggies good but their is some veggie and fruits that are not good for you at all to eat thats what i was looking for more of a depth into it instead of just plan idea. Sorry I came for help maybe I should take my questions else where. And I do read through the comments maybe not as well as a I should but when I see stupid picture or people laughing and not taking it serious it loses my hope. So thank you people who did help me and actually told me which is good food and which isnt and people who decide to just get into a fight or laugh instead and lose the matter of the real question thank you for letting me know not to ask questions on here any more and take them somewhere else where i can get help. Good day to you all.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, there is no such thing as good and bad foods. It's a matter of being in a caloric deficit.

For health, there are good and bad foods. Everyone has different opinions/beliefs on what falls under each category. I personally think "good foods" are whole and unprocessed, i.e. fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, fish, whole grains like quinoa and brown rice, etc.

I think "bad foods" are processed, fast food, deep fried foods, artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, HFCS.

Everything you buy in a store is processed.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You know what I give up this place it isn't supportive.

Look at people's profiles. Look at people's tickers. Look at how much weight they've lost. Then decide if maybe you should listen to their opinion instead of dismissing it because it's different than the pop-culture nutrition found in self-help books and infomercials.

Just some advice from Aunt WBB: listening to the successful people -- the ones who already are where you want to be, and have maintained it for years -- and deciding what makes sense FOR YOURSELF, will put you on a path towards what you want to be.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You know what I give up this place it isn't supportive. Yes some of you are actually helping and I'm sorry I didn't point out who they wrre and who wasn't. I just wanted a basic idea and I'm sorry if my questions were "dumb" or repetitive or something but their real questions. I didnt know what type of food to stay away from or not or if it was good for me or not i understand chips bad and veggies good but their is some veggie and fruits that are not good for you at all to eat thats what i was looking for more of a depth into it instead of just plan idea. Sorry I came for help maybe I should take my questions else where. And I do read through the comments maybe not as well as a I should but when I see stupid picture or people laughing and not taking it serious it loses my hope. So thank you people who did help me and actually told me which is good food and which isnt and people who decide to just get into a fight or laugh instead and lose the matter of the real question thank you for letting me know not to ask questions on here any more and take them somewhere else where i can get help. Good day to you all.

Rather than flouncing, why don't you read through this thread, allow the comments to challenge your own pre-conceived notions and incorporate what you are being told? The good/bad food false dichotomy has ruined many people's attempts at weight loss. As I said before, focus on your overall diet rather than specific foods. There's a freedom to be found there as well as long-term success.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Do you have any medical conditions we should be aware of?

When it comes down to what foods to eat/not eat, it is honestly dependent on personal preference.

Some fruits are lower in carbs, others are higher in carbs. If you are trying to keep your carb intake on the lower side, you will want to avoid fruits like cantaloupe, watermelon, mangos, papayas, and pineapples. Fruits that contain less carbs are berries, cherries, apples, and grapefruit. Dried fruit contains a decent amount of carbs/sugar.

Same goes for veggies. Some have more carbs, others have very few. Non-starchy veggies are cucumbers, peppers, celery, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, broccoli, spinach, romaine lettuce, arugula, kale. Starchy veggies are white potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, and carrots.
  • How many times do I have to tell you! Yes you can eat bad food in moderation. My god! You guys got to use some common sense. I said that healthy foods do help with weight loss, by keeping you full longer and helping keeping blood sugar valence and getting all your nutitrients to ward off cravings. But however it won't automactily make you lose weight. You have to be in a caloric deficit while still meeting you carb fat and protein needs without going over. *closes book even harder*
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options
    How many times do I have to tell you! Yes you can eat bad food in moderation. My god! You guys got to use some common sense. I said that healthy foods do help with weight loss, by keeping you full longer and helping keeping blood sugar valence and getting all your nutitrients to ward off cravings. But however it won't automactily make you lose weight. You have to be in a caloric deficit while still meeting you carb fat and protein needs without going over. *closes book even harder*

But you keep calling them "bad food." There are no bad foods.
  • I am bit new here. I have been here sense late July! And I have lost around five pounds so far. It doesn't show on my trucker cuz I lost before I joined here, so there
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    This thread has me humming the Led Zeppelin song

Good Food, Bad Food, you know I had my share;
    When my woman took me through the Drive-Thru,
    Well, I still don't seem to care.

*** Edited *** Can't spell Zeppelin
  • I just that cuz that's what the op called them!
  • I f***king hate you spell check! *starts cursing at the computer*
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    How many times do I have to tell you! Yes you can eat bad food in moderation. My god! You guys got to use some common sense. I said that healthy foods do help with weight loss, by keeping you full longer and helping keeping blood sugar valence and getting all your nutitrients to ward off cravings. But however it won't automactily make you lose weight. You have to be in a caloric deficit while still meeting you carb fat and protein needs without going over. *closes book even harder*

This.

How many times do we have to tell you.

THERE. ARE. NO. BAD. FOODS.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

To some people, there are bad foods. You, along with everyone else, just need to respect that and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding what's healthy and what's not. Besides it's their body not yours. They can choose to feed it what they wish.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

To some people, there are bad foods. You, along with everyone else, just need to respect that and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding what's healthy and what's not. Besides it's their body not yours. They can choose to feed it what they wish.
    You string together sentences as if they were related, but they aren't. Yeah, people can choose to eat whatever they want. No, whether something is healthy or not isn't a matter of opinion.
  • You know what I give up this place it isn't supportive. Yes some of you are actually helping and I'm sorry I didn't point out who they wrre and who wasn't. I just wanted a basic idea and I'm sorry if my questions were "dumb" or repetitive or something but their real questions. I didnt know what type of food to stay away from or not or if it was good for me or not i understand chips bad and veggies good but their is some veggie and fruits that are not good for you at all to eat thats what i was looking for more of a depth into it instead of just plan idea. Sorry I came for help maybe I should take my questions else where. And I do read through the comments maybe not as well as a I should but when I see stupid picture or people laughing and not taking it serious it loses my hope. So thank you people who did help me and actually told me which is good food and which isnt and people who decide to just get into a fight or laugh instead and lose the matter of the real question thank you for letting me know not to ask questions on here any more and take them somewhere else where i can get help. Good day to you all.
    And exactly which fruits and vegetables would those be?
    You're yelling as if we know who you are. Who are you? And why are you so mad? You're the one that wrote the wall o text, not us.
    I am a 20 year old female. Who is in college. Who wants to lose a bit of weight. Who lost five so far. Than found MFP. Who can be a bit angry. Who can be funny. Who is really popular. Who currently has a boyfriend. And I call them bad foods cuz that's what the op called them. So what should I call them?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options
    And exactly which fruits and vegetables would those be?
    You're yelling as if we know who you are. Who are you? And why are you so mad? You're the one that wrote the wall o text, not us.
    I am a 20 year old female. Who is in college. Who wants to lose a bit of weight. Who lost five so far. Than found MFP. Who can be a bit angry. Who can be funny. Who is really popular. Who currently has a boyfriend. And I call them bad foods cuz that's what the op called them. So what should I call them?

Food.