Starving at night.

Options
2»

Replies

• JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You can preplan your evening snack and if you know what you're going to eat at night then you can eat appropriately during the day.
  • MissMamaAndrea
    MissMamaAndrea Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    protein and fat can help. make sure you have an evening snack that includes both. as far as pills go I don't know of one that helps at night. If you have binge eating disorder is 1400 calories a little low? For me personally if i go under 1500-1700 calories i sleep walk and walk up with food in my bed blah!
  • FlanJamz
    FlanJamz Posts: 15
    Options
    I have the same issue - my appetite kicks in around 7 pm and turns off around 2 am. If I worked the night shift, this would be ideal but, sadly, I do not. I tend to eat lunch and dinner later and I've found that air popped popcorn fills you up for a night time snack. It's pretty much a guilt free. Basically, put 1/4 cup kernels into a paper lunch bag, microwave for 1:42 (give or take a few sec) and then mist with spray oil (if you are near a Trader Joe's, their spray coconut oil is terrific), sprinkle with salt, spices, a little Parmesan cheese, etc. Many of the kernels will not pop that first time around and so I put those back in the oven for Round Two (which means pausing the movie my husband and I are watching, but he's used to it by now.) For about 200 calories (and that's counting the spray oil and extras), it does the trick. *My* problem is that I like to swill one, or two, or *three* glasses of wine WITH the popcorn so, yeah, I need to cut that out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What the eff is this all about?
    I have a rather low caloric goal (1,400 or so) but the night cravings are out of control.
    I don't know how to make them stop.
    Is there a supplement, a drug, anything I can do to make my evening ravenousness go away?
    It's like my body refuses to go into sleep mode unless I eat something before bed, and I have to stop because I know how terrible it is for weight loss.
    When I was younger I was able to deflect cravings like crazy while dieting and now it has become a constant source of agony.
    Please help.

Hello, I used to have the same problem .. People on here will tell you to drink water or eat an apple but realistically it doesn't suppress for longer then half an hour. I started looking for something a while back and i now use Coffee Bean extract. It really does work. I can eat well all day and in evening BOOM! i would eat rubbish due to my apatite going into overdrive. I take one early evening and im NEVER hungry at all until the next day (around dinner time) - There natural so have no side effects either.

Plus there cheap - try em, you wont regret it.

1) there is no compelling evidence that they aid in weight loss and none that shows it acts as an appetite suppressant (other than just coffee, which the OP said she did not want)

2) just because something is natural, it does not mean that there are no side effects. Point in case:

"Green coffee extracts, supplemental or food products, may cause a respiratory response indicative of allergens.[15] Occupational type I allergies have been noted to be associated with Green Coffee dust, which may be due to the presence of a 'Cof A 1' allergin.[16]"

http://examine.com/supplements/Green+Coffee+Extract/

[I am assuming that this is not spam as it is linked to Amazon...but I could be wrong so have removed the links)

Dont worry, Im off - Not hanging around somewhere that you have to be a vet in order to able to help. Some people want straight forward ways to help burn exrta fat or suppress appetite. Not everyone wants to be told to write down everything and do this and do that. Some people want a simple answer. This stuff worked for me so i shared simple! isnt that the whole point of a DEBATE forum? to debate whats best. Not to single out one person and tell them that there opinion isnt good enough for the forum. Shame on you all!

Nice rebuttal!

Debate...I am not sure you know the meaning of the word. Your responses are a far, far cry from a debate.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    What the eff is this all about?
    I have a rather low caloric goal (1,400 or so) but the night cravings are out of control.
    I don't know how to make them stop.
    Is there a supplement, a drug, anything I can do to make my evening ravenousness go away?
    It's like my body refuses to go into sleep mode unless I eat something before bed, and I have to stop because I know how terrible it is for weight loss.
    When I was younger I was able to deflect cravings like crazy while dieting and now it has become a constant source of agony.
    Please help.

Hello, I used to have the same problem .. People on here will tell you to drink water or eat an apple but realistically it doesn't suppress for longer then half an hour. I started looking for something a while back and i now use Coffee Bean extract. It really does work. I can eat well all day and in evening BOOM! i would eat rubbish due to my apatite going into overdrive. I take one early evening and im NEVER hungry at all until the next day (around dinner time) - There natural so have no side effects either.

Plus there cheap - try em, you wont regret it.

1) there is no compelling evidence that they aid in weight loss and none that shows it acts as an appetite suppressant (other than just coffee, which the OP said she did not want)

2) just because something is natural, it does not mean that there are no side effects. Point in case:

"Green coffee extracts, supplemental or food products, may cause a respiratory response indicative of allergens.[15] Occupational type I allergies have been noted to be associated with Green Coffee dust, which may be due to the presence of a 'Cof A 1' allergin.[16]"

http://examine.com/supplements/Green+Coffee+Extract/

[I am assuming that this is not spam as it is linked to Amazon...but I could be wrong so have removed the links)

Dont worry, Im off - Not hanging around somewhere that you have to be a vet in order to able to help. Some people want straight forward ways to help burn exrta fat or suppress appetite. Not everyone wants to be told to write down everything and do this and do that. Some people want a simple answer. This stuff worked for me so i shared simple! isnt that the whole point of a DEBATE forum? to debate whats best. Not to single out one person and tell them that there opinion isnt good enough for the forum. Shame on you all!

Okay, bye.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Try switching up your eating times to see if it helps with the hunger at bed time. Maybe 5-6 smaller meals a day. Maybe shifting your meals to later in the day (if you're like me and work until midnight most nights). Find foods for 200 calories or less than you can use for your late night snacks--cereal with skim milk, yogurt and granola mix ins, oatmeal cookies, etc. (foods that are lower in fat are easier for the body to digest). One of my favorites is a fruit smoothie before bedtime. Even if I mix in some greek yogurt and protein powder, they're still only about 230 calories and very filling.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel you are eating enough then:

Either eat more while still being able to lose weight
    Eat more foods that will provide better satiety
    Leave more calories for dinner

Eating before bed is not terrible for weight loss. Not being in a caloric surplus is.

All of this, especially the bolded part.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    You don't need a supplement. Most of them (not all, but most!) are garbage. And even if they do work, only work short term which basically defeats the purpose. What I do is spread my cals out over the day to always include an evening snack. If you're at 1400, that means you could do 350 at your main meals and then still have 350 leftover for snacks. Have one lighter snack during the day and leave some cals in the evening for that snack you need to keep you in line. I like yogurt with berries, a couple of cookies and hot tea, a few slices of turkey and some cheese, or hot chocolate, etc. If your meals are full of veg and fruit, good fats and adequate protein, and you're drinking water, then that should help you feel full and you can have a couple of cals left over at the end of the day to ward off the munchies. You could even go so far as to only spend a couple of hundred cals at breakfast and lunch and save the majority for an evening snack and dinner. Just keep playing with the numbers and the food and eventually you'll get what works.
  • combatbunny
    combatbunny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When i'm really hungry at night, I toss some frozen veggies into a skillet, cook until done and eat that with a just tish of salt and a cup of warm camomile tea.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    When i'm really hungry at night, I toss some frozen veggies into a skillet, cook until done and eat that with a just tish of salt and a cup of warm camomile tea.

Yum, I would try that with a dash of soy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    BULLIES

Lol....

I think you need to take your own advice - given on this and other threads.
    Grow up!

Also, great debating technique you have there.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I was having the exact same problem. No matter how much I ate during the day, I could not stop snacking at night! I starting saving the calories to drink a huge protein shake right before bed ( about 30 grams of protein), and I have not had the nighttime munchies since. I got this idea from some fitness magazine and decided to give it a try. It has been working like a charm for me, and it also makes me sleep like a baby.