Anyone lost weight by NOT counting calories?

Options
As the title says really... Have any of you managed to lose weight without counting calories? I find that I'm really good at logging my calories for breakfast or lunch by just scanning what I eat, but then it all goes pear shaped when I'm cooking dinner. I get ratty having to chop and weigh everything down to peppers, vegetables, oil, chicken etc etc when I make a meal from scratch, and then trying to log it all into MFP for the calories. This causes me to not bother, and then I'll go and eat something bad as I'll think "we'll I've ruined it now anyway as I haven't logged". I find I'm really good for a few days and then I'll give up as I can't be bothered with calorie counting and weighing and measuring all the time.

I keep thinking surely it must be simpler than this. My mother is 9st and really slim and does not think about what she eats or logs calories. Has anyone lost weight just by eating 3 proper meals a day, no picking on rubbish and exercising more?

Replies

• jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe function for dinners, it is really good.

Personally I don't worry too much about the vegetables - just put 1 onion or 1 pepper - and just weigh the meat/pasta/potatoes/rice. Then if I make it again I go into the 'edit recipe' and change the weight of anything 'bulky' that's changed.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe function for dinners, it is really good.

Personally I don't worry too much about the vegetables - just put 1 onion or 1 pepper - and just weigh the meat/pasta/potatoes/rice. Then if I make it again I go into the 'edit recipe' and change the weight of anything 'bulky' that's changed.

I do the same. You could estimate double the quantity for onions and tomatoes and it would have little impact on the total calorie count
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well I kind of still measure things but I am not counting calories, in fact I am going over calories and everything else quite a bit, but I am losing weight. I have started The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy. I have to admit I wish I would have did a little more preparing before starting, but I must admit that in 2 weeks I have lost 6lbs by eating and not counting calories. A lot of people on this diet have lost more.

What this diet is about is you are to spend at least 28 days doing this diet to re-stoke your metabolism. The author Haylie Pomroy explains how we can have such a slow metabolism, that it's like trying to lite soaking wet logs on fire. This diet helps to repair a slow metabolism, which in turn will cause you to burn the fat you are currently eating and the stored fat that you have. I found this book in the Library and I thought it was such an interesting read. Later I also found an article by the same author about dry brushing and how it can help you to get off that plateau. Just think that something as simple as using a dry brush can not only stimulate the grow of new skin, but also affect your weight loss. That was real interesting also. The name of the article was need a quick detox try dry brushing by Haylie Pomroy. It was a cool thing to find out .

Any way wish you all the best with your weight loss journey.

P.s. I know my ticker only shows 5 pounds lost, but I gained some weight back on a trip and didn't recalculate it on my ticker. So I did lose 6 lbs.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say that NO, I cannot lose weight without counting calories. Believe me I have TRIED. I have done LCHF and still had to count calories. I even had VSG weight loss surgery and after the initial healing process, counting calories is still the only way that I'm able to lose weight. Yup, EVEN WITH a stomach that is 70% smaller than the original size, I STILL need to count calories or I don't lose. (the surgery DOES make it easier for me to stick within my calories but I still need to make the effort otherwise I could EASILY out-eat the surgery) The good news is that I can maintain now with the surgery without counting calories if I simply "watch what I eat", but to lose, I have to carefully log or I struggle to reach a deficit.

To help with dinners, one thing that I've done is I write down the recipes and log them into MFP, then I carefully measure out how many cups it makes and log the # of cups as # of servings. It's a PITA, I know, especially if you're like me and like to just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot without measuring, but once you get used it it, it's easier.

Another trick that helps me with weighing a lot of different foods that all go together is I put the bowl on the scale then tare the scale.. add first ingredient, tare the scale, add next ingredient, tare the scale and so on. It's WAY faster this way.

Now this is just me. My sister can lose without ever counting a calorie. She works out and avoids prepackaged junk foods and just eats what she wants of homecooked nutrient dense lower calorie foods, she loses so I guess there's hope for some of us.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Of course people have lost weight without counting. Weight watchers, Paleo, etc. all generally work because they reduce calories through the choice of foods. The advantage to calorie counting is that literally no food is off the menu and you can accurately track your nutrition goals along the way. The trade off, of course, is taking the time to weigh and measure your food. Find something that works for you, but you need to commit no matter what approach you take. That part doesn't change.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've been "eyeballing" my portions for a couple of months now and have seen a slow and steady weight loss, I think the next stone may be much harder to shift though..
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    my question is: are you losing weight ok using this method?? :)
    if so then keep on doing what you're doing...

I no longer log now but I had to for first two years on here and I feel thats what I owe my weight loss success to. We all usually eat the same kinds of foods so once you enter that quantity once its there and therefore logging gets easier and takes a few mins maximum.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As the title says really... Have any of you managed to lose weight without counting calories? I find that I'm really good at logging my calories for breakfast or lunch by just scanning what I eat, but then it all goes pear shaped when I'm cooking dinner. I get ratty having to chop and weigh everything down to peppers, vegetables, oil, chicken etc etc when I make a meal from scratch, and then trying to log it all into MFP for the calories. This causes me to not bother, and then I'll go and eat something bad as I'll think "we'll I've ruined it now anyway as I haven't logged". I find I'm really good for a few days and then I'll give up as I can't be bothered with calorie counting and weighing and measuring all the time.

I keep thinking surely it must be simpler than this. My mother is 9st and really slim and does not think about what she eats or logs calories. Has anyone lost weight just by eating 3 proper meals a day, no picking on rubbish and exercising more?
    No offense it just sounds like excuses to me. You have the scales on the kitchen counter you weigh as you chop either write the weights down or enter immediately and all done. After a few weeks you have recipes in the recipe builder and your most common entries there so it takes even less time

How long do you spend on the Internet a day or watching TV surely you can afford to take 15 minutes a day off this time to log your food? Don't make it a bigger issue than it is once you get used to it it's second nature. You obviously put on weight not counting calories so why do you think you will miraculously lose weight doing the same thing?

The most successful people on MFP are those that consistently and accurately count calories. Good luck
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Saying that you've already ruined your day by not weighing a bunch of peppers and stuff and using it as an excuse to pig out is like saying you've shoplifted a Hot Wheels so you might as well carjack someone.

Your mom is 9st because she doesn't eat everything else and use not weighing as an excuse to do so.
  • mhill708
    Options
    YES!!! 115lbs....

Low/NO Carb/HIGH protein! 90% Eggs, meats and cheese! its HARD to get started, but it pays off. No sugar, White foods at all!!!

Why on earth would anyone be weighing VEGGIES??? that doesnt make much sense!! Toss that kitchen scale....and stop the madness!!

Like someone previously said...Counting Calories allows you to eat anything. Some people cannot break down breads, sugars so your body holds on to them...myself included!! Once I realized that....it was so much easier!! I still struggle....and I gained a few pounds back, but always know where to go to get back on track!!

Stop with the processed (easy) foods....they are killing you!!
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You obviously put on weight not counting calories so why do you think you will miraculously lose weight doing the same thing?

This one should be on my fridge, man.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    and then I'll go and eat something bad as I'll think "we'll I've ruined it now anyway as I haven't logged".

There's no 'bad' foods. It's all just food. Log it, keep it within your calorie goal, and you'll be fine. And, you will have much more success if you get rid of the 'all or nothing' mentality.

No, you don't 'need' to count calories. If you are losing weight while not counting, good for you. I was never successful not counting though, so I'll stick to what works for me.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I personally count calories because it helps me but my son, who needed to lose much more weight than I, started with 1200 for 14 weeks, in a spa, under supervision, lost 65 pounds and then lost an additional 55 lbs on his own, not counting and just using common sense (not having 5 full meals a day, for example... Or eating entire bags of Doritos). It can be done but I think it depends on your degree of discipline.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    YES!!! 115lbs....

Low/NO Carb/HIGH protein! 90% Eggs, meats and cheese! its HARD to get started, but it pays off. No sugar, White foods at all!!!

Why on earth would anyone be weighing VEGGIES??? that doesnt make much sense!! Toss that kitchen scale....and stop the madness!!

Like someone previously said...Counting Calories allows you to eat anything. Some people cannot break down breads, sugars so your body holds on to them...myself included!! Once I realized that....it was so much easier!! I still struggle....and I gained a few pounds back, but always know where to go to get back on track!!

going about things the way you suggest is madness.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    YES!!! 115lbs....

Is this why you still have 98 lbs to go? Or so your profile says.

I'll keep my processed foods, white bread, sugar, etc. I'll weigh my veggies thanks.
  • mhill708
    Options

Just a bunch of nonsense.

Some people's bodies can't break down carbohydrates? Really? Wow, just wow.

Yes really,,,,your body breaks down bread and chips good for you!!! NOT all people can tolerate bad carbs....

Carbohydrate Intolerance

It is the inability of the body to completely process carbohydrates (sugars and starches) due to lack or inadequate amount of one or more of the enzymes needed for their digestion. Lactose Intolerance is the most common one but the inability to break down starch is also common.

- See more at: http://www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/carbohydrate/index.html#sthash.jAQtFdxU.dpuf
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Just a bunch of nonsense.

Some people's bodies can't break down carbohydrates? Really? Wow, just wow.

Yes really,,,,your body breaks down bread and chips good for you!!! NOT all people can tolerate bad carbs....

Carbohydrate Intolerance

It is the inability of the body to completely process carbohydrates (sugars and starches) due to lack or inadequate amount of one or more of the enzymes needed for their digestion. Lactose Intolerance is the most common one but the inability to break down starch is also common.

- See more at: http://www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/carbohydrate/index.html#sthash.jAQtFdxU.dpuf

no.