Anyone lost weight by NOT counting calories?

Options

Replies

• mhill708
    Options

Is this why you still have 98 lbs to go? Or so your profile says.

I'll keep my processed foods, white bread, sugar, etc. I'll weigh my veggies thanks.

Just because I havent updated my weight on here....doesnt mean my weight loss isnt real. I rarely use this site and NOW i remember why!! Ignorance of the rest of the users makes me stay away.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    YES!!! 115lbs....

Low/NO Carb/HIGH protein! 90% Eggs, meats and cheese! its HARD to get started, but it pays off. No sugar, White foods at all!!!

Why on earth would anyone be weighing VEGGIES??? that doesnt make much sense!! Toss that kitchen scale....and stop the madness!!

Like someone previously said...Counting Calories allows you to eat anything. Some people cannot break down breads, sugars so your body holds on to them...myself included!! Once I realized that....it was so much easier!! I still struggle....and I gained a few pounds back, but always know where to go to get back on track!!

Stop with the processed (easy) foods....they are killing you!!

I'll keep my processed foods, white bread, sugar, etc. I'll weigh my veggies thanks.

First time I've heard this advise for weight loss - eat white bread and sugar. Good luck with that keeping most people full for the day.

Did I say that was all I ate .. Nope and I've had no problem staying full because I include carbs, yes those evil carbs into my diet that also includes lots of protein & fat
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Just because I havent updated my weight on here....doesnt mean my weight loss isnt real. I rarely use this site and NOW i remember why!! Ignorance of the rest of the users makes me stay away.

You joined two months ago. I highly doubt you've lost 115lbs in that time, so what exactly is there to update?

Your information is flawed and it seems you are being dishonest about your weight loss.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    YES!!! 115lbs....

Low/NO Carb/HIGH protein! 90% Eggs, meats and cheese! its HARD to get started, but it pays off. No sugar, White foods at all!!!

Why on earth would anyone be weighing VEGGIES??? that doesnt make much sense!! Toss that kitchen scale....and stop the madness!!

Like someone previously said...Counting Calories allows you to eat anything. Some people cannot break down breads, sugars so your body holds on to them...myself included!! Once I realized that....it was so much easier!! I still struggle....and I gained a few pounds back, but always know where to go to get back on track!!

First time I've heard this advise for weight loss - eat white bread and sugar. Good luck with that keeping most people full for the day.

I have no issues with staying full despite eating everything that you're not "supposed to".
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    YES!!! 115lbs....

She didn't say ONLY eat white bread and sugar. That would be ridiculous. But there's no reason why bread and sugar can't be part of a balanced diet.

Personally I eat both bread and sugar, as well as meat, veggies, fruit, and dairy. I've lost weight and kept it off for coming up on two years. I'm never hungry.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Just a bunch of nonsense.

Some people's bodies can't break down carbohydrates? Really? Wow, just wow.

Yes really,,,,your body breaks down bread and chips good for you!!! NOT all people can tolerate bad carbs....

Carbohydrate Intolerance

It is the inability of the body to completely process carbohydrates (sugars and starches) due to lack or inadequate amount of one or more of the enzymes needed for their digestion. Lactose Intolerance is the most common one but the inability to break down starch is also common.

- See more at: http://www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/carbohydrate/index.html#sthash.jAQtFdxU.dpuf

No

That website is there to sell you stuff you don't need, by convincing you you have an issue.

Please post some actually research that proves carb intolerance. :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP you may be able to lose weight without counting. Plenty of people do so just by limiting certain types of foods or by creating rules for themselves to follow. Personally I prefer counting because it's a lot more precise. I lost a few pounds when I first started just by trying to "eat less" but it was such a vague concept I had trouble with it. So calorie counting works for me. If it doesn't work for you then find a method that does.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

How much have you lost? OP requested successful non calorie counters. Meaning they've lost significant amounts of weight, not in the initial stages.

I imagine that much cheese and eggs is both boring and unhealthy in terms of things like cholesterol. Also your body doesn't need that much protein. Even bodybuilders don't have 90% protein diets.
    And there's no reason for the human body to not be able to break down carbs as 1. They're our second most important dietary staple, and 2. We've been digesting them for centuries so we're well adapted.

Your brain needs 125g of carb just to function.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Update? Your account is new as of May 2014. You just had to set it up correctly the first time, unless you're saying you lost 115 lbs in three months. Don't be mad if the misinformation you entered confused people.

And why stick around the calorie counting website and tell us our method is madness? To help us see the light? Yeah, thanks
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    The point of calorie counting is to bring a bit of science into weight management, and it makes it easier. I've had friends gain weight on some "magical" weight loss programs. They created calorie surplus on those weird diets.

You don't need to join Weight Watchers. You don't need to buy a diet book. You don't need to join a gym. You don't need to order XFactor 30lbs in 30 days! pills. You don't need to exclude foods you love from your diet.

Figure out your daily caloric needs, get a digital kitchen scale, track the calories, create a deficit, and you will lose weight.

I've seen this posted a lot of times on this forum "Calories in/Calories out - it's simple, but hard"

best of luck OP
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'd be lost without my freshly toasted Ham Pitas for lunch!.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Yes really,,,,your body breaks down bread and chips good for you!!! NOT all people can tolerate bad carbs....

Carbohydrate Intolerance

It is the inability of the body to completely process carbohydrates (sugars and starches) due to lack or inadequate amount of one or more of the enzymes needed for their digestion. Lactose Intolerance is the most common one but the inability to break down starch is also common.

- See more at: http://www.foodreactions.org/intolerance/carbohydrate/index.html#sthash.jAQtFdxU.dpuf

Do you know what happens when a lactose intolerant person consumes lactose? My body doesn't "hold on" to the lactose. I don't gain or fail to lose weight because I consume lactose. Nope. It causes diarrhea, stomach cramping, gas, loud gut gurgling, and a lot of discomfort. The same is true for other carbohydrate intolerances. The inability to digest a sugar/carbohydrate does not make the body hold on to it. It makes the body expel it in a VERY painful way. There's also no, "Suddenly, I thought I might have this intolerance!" Things like hereditary fructose intolerance (commonly called carbohydrate intolerance) cause vomiting, jaundice, enlarged liver, and a host of over symptoms. Missing enzyme based intolerances commonly cause people to lose weight and struggle to eat because they don't know what is causing the problem and eating becomes associated with agonizing pain. You eat less and cautiously when you don't know why but 2-3 hours after you eat you are in the bathroom for an hour clutching your stomach.

To the OP: I have lost weight in the past by not counting calories. Both times I lost major weight in the past (30-50 lbs), I gained it all back over the course of 2 years. Lose 30 lbs, slowly gain it back, and some. Lose 50 lbs, slowly gain it back, plus a little more.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Carbohydrate Intolerance

You may have had to restrict certain foods due to a medical issue. This doesn't mean that normal, healthy people need to do the same, now does it?
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

Carbohydrate Intolerance

No

That website is there to sell you stuff you don't need, by convincing you you have an issue.

Please post some actually research that proves carb intolerance. :laugh:

This. As the saying goes, "There's a sucker born every minute".
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    YES!!! 115lbs....

When you say that your body "holds on to breads, sugars" what does this mean? Holds them where and for how long? Plus, getting 90% of your nutrition from eggs, meat and cheese is really unhealthy. Your body is not going to be very forgiving to you for long.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Of course people have lost weight without counting. Weight watchers, Paleo, etc. all generally work because they reduce calories through the choice of foods. The advantage to calorie counting is that literally no food is off the menu and you can accurately track your nutrition goals along the way. The trade off, of course, is taking the time to weigh and measure your food. Find something that works for you, but you need to commit no matter what approach you take. That part doesn't change.

I just lost more weight by following the advice in this post.
  • SISDONNAK
    SISDONNAK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping a calorie log for at least 30 years. I have maintained my weight, blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol consistently. I am the mom of 3 adult children and 4 grand babies. I wouldn't stop counting calories if you begged me to.