Illinois Peeps

Options
jferg70
jferg70 Posts: 147 Member
I know we're one of the worst states in the union in terms of economic health, but are we also one of the worst in terms of physical fitness? Where are all the Illinois folks this morning?

Replies

• NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately I fall into the NOT physically fit category :) But just had to respond....being al Illinoian and all :)
  • jferg70
    Options
    Should probably rephrase that...."are we one of the least concerned about physical fitness?" You're on here and you're tracking your nutrition and activity, so you're taking the right steps! Good to meet you!
  • NessaReh85
    Options
    Good to meet you as well! The first step is always the hardest. Its a slow go but I will meet my goal :)
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Illinois resident here, western Chicago suburbs..

Illinois just..doesn't care about so many things haha.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Was that in the news today? I knew about the economic part but am surprised about the physical fitness part. The majority of my friends are very into fitness but perhaps I surround myself with like people now. I met two of my closest friends at the gym.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Another Illinoisian checking in...not sure I would say that our state's "state" of fitness matches its woeful economic situation; I think it has a lot to do with the people one surrounds themselves with. I feel like very few of my coworkers are fit (just from eyeballing them fully clothed), but my friends are certainly concerned with health and fitness, as am I.

My usual routine (which causes most of my colleagues' mouths to fall open) is waking at about 4am and getting to the gym by 5am to lift weights. I log my calories every day and just today started a new weightlifting and nutrition program.
  • jferg70
    Options
    Was that in the news today? I knew about the economic part but am surprised about the physical fitness part. The majority of my friends are very into fitness but perhaps I surround myself with like people now. I met two of my closest friends at the gym.

Oh no, that was just the fact I haven't met too many people from Illinois on here. ;)
  • jferg70
    Options
    Welcome! Another Illinoisian checking in...not sure I would say that our state's "state" of fitness matches its woeful economic situation; I think it has a lot to do with the people one surrounds themselves with. I feel like very few of my coworkers are fit (just from eyeballing them fully clothed), but my friends are certainly concerned with health and fitness, as am I.

My usual routine (which causes most of my colleagues' mouths to fall open) is waking at about 4am and getting to the gym by 5am to lift weights. I log my calories every day and just today started a new weightlifting and nutrition program.

Excellent! Nice work....I'm glad I'm not rowing that boat alone!
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Illinois ( the good part ) born and raised, but presently in exile. I've seen quite a few Illinois folks on MFP. I will say, however, that Chicagoland seems way under-represented compared to southern Illinois. Maybe it's just me, but I've probably seen an equal number of people on here from the southern half, and population distribution would suggest that should not be the case.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Peoria area here.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Illinois ( the good part ) born and raised, but presently in exile. I've seen quite a few Illinois folks on MFP. I will say, however, that Chicagoland seems way under-represented compared to southern Illinois. Maybe it's just me, but I've probably seen an equal number of people on here from the southern half, and population distribution would suggest that should not be the case.

I always get excited to see someone from IL but they're never closer than three hours from me! I'm only about 40 minutes west of the city and I have yet to see anyone from the actual suburbs like I am. It's all down near Peoria.
  • SaintGiff
    Options

I always get excited to see someone from IL but they're never closer than three hours from me! I'm only about 40 minutes west of the city and I have yet to see anyone from the actual suburbs like I am. It's all down near Peoria.

Most of the ones on my FL are from actual southern Illinois, not what Chicago considers southern Illinois, lol. Like, if you fold a map in half they're from south of the fold.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Illinois here. Not in the best shape...yet.

I'm about 40 minutes west of the city too.
  • NessaReh85
    Options
    Effingham, IL. Not too many people know where that is at LOL
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Is the giant cross still there?
  • SaintGiff
    Options
    Aw c'mon. Effingham has an exit from the interstate. That counts as a big city south of the fold.
  • NessaReh85
    Options
    Is the giant cross still there?

Yep its still here!!
  • NessaReh85
    Options
    Aw c'mon. Effingham has an exit from the interstate. That counts as a big city south of the fold.

Yeah, somehow the city seems to be growing but the jobs keep getting smaller :(
  • NessaReh85
    Options
    You wouldnt believe how many people I tell I'm from Effingham and they are like....UH...WHERE???:laugh:
  • SaintGiff
    Options
    How is there not more overlap between this and the Quitting Smokeless Tobacco thread?