It really bothers me...

Options
When someone says they're sooo fat. And I weigh more than them. >:(

Replies

• ANTlSOClAL
    Options
    Are we supposed to list what bothers us, or discuss how this bothers you?
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I went thru life with a thin sister who constantly said she was so fat...waiting for a compliment. I always wanted to say yes you are fat but I was too nice to say it.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    welcome to the wonderful world of distorted body vision of body image caused by media. I'm so sorry :( Keep your chin up, you are beautiful in any size
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yeah. That's one of those things that I know shouldn't bother me. It totally does though. Not necessarily if they're smaller than me. It bothers me when someone is obviously not fat, but insists they are.
  • aliciac24
    Options
    that drives me crazy even skinny people say the are fat! errrrrr:explode:
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a few people on my feed who say it daily. I guess there's no way to convince them otherwise. Or do I tell them they look good?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Don't tell them anything. Just ignore it
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Or better, when something is at your goal weight and refer to themselves as fat, huge, obese, etc. :noway: It doesn't "bother" me really, it just makes me go hmmmmmmmmm.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were at our first 5K race. There was this old guy, really skinny, he had a sand bag (or something like that) on his shoulders. There was a piece of paper on it saying "50 lbs"). So I told hubby "The guy must be tired to answering questions about the bag". My dear hubby, in all his glory, said "I walk aroung with an extra 70 lbs. You don't see me bugging anyone about it." :laugh: A few people around us couldn't refrain from laughing!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have a few people on my feed who say it daily. I guess there's no way to convince them otherwise. Or do I tell them they look good?

Why would you keep them on your friends feed then? You can unfriend them or you can hide their comments.

Your friends feed is there to help you towards your goals. Tailor it so it helps rather than upsets you.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of perspective. If they really feel like they are fat, and they are not, that is sad. But if they are just saying it to get a flattering comeback, like "you look great!" then that is lame. I'm a bit overweight and call myself fat sometimes, but deep in my heart I don't really feel like I am all that heavy. I have a mental image of myself as a thin person. Today women don't have a very healthy view of what is a normal weight.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    They aren't and shouldn't be expected to think about you when they are talking about themselves. You worry about you and let them worry about them. Try not to let innocuous comments that aren't directed at you have an impact on your emotions.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It goes two ways for me. If someone is honestly unhappy with their body, even if they are smaller than me, it doesn't bother me because I know everyone has their own struggles. My best friend has always been super skinny, but since having her two babies, some of the weight has stuck around her thighs/hips and tummy. I still think she look amazing and I would kill for her figure, but I know she isn't happy and would like to trim down a little. So when she complains about her extra baggage it doesn't bother me.

However, if someone is rail skinny and just whines about their appearance just to fish for compliments, that bugs me. One day this super skinny girl at work was saying how she weighed in that morning and the scale asked her why there were two people on the scale. Oh haha, you think you're fat and you probably weigh 110 soaking wet. And the two people she was telling this to are at least 300-350 pounds. I doubt they appreciated that very much.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

these are people who are A) digging for a compliment B) low self esteem/body image or C) both. And unfortunately, these people are here to stay so it is best to grow a thick skin. I have yet found away thats best to solve the problem. Sometimes I end up telling them to stfu and it ruins friendships :/ so I myself need to get a bit thicker skin. But rather than let it get to you, use it as motivation then you get thinner then them and when they say it again you can finally say "Yes. Yes you are! whachya gonna do about it?"
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Or better, when something is at your goal weight and refer to themselves as fat, huge, obese, etc. :noway: It doesn't "bother" me really, it just makes me go hmmmmmmmmm.

I agree.

I have come to understand though that there's usually more to it. They are often much shorter than I am (like 5'2" rather than my 5'8"), or they are used to being a lot smaller and have only recently gained a lot of weight. Also, I know that I chose a pretty high goal weight. But yeah it is still obnoxious to me when someone says they're at 157 lb and wanting to die because they're so fat. Yes I know I should worry more about my own progress and/or that person's mental wellbeing but it's just kinda rough...
  • toronto88
    toronto88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel more happy when the scale is working with me trending downwards and less happy when it is creeping up....and the actual number matters a lot less than the way that it is heading. I feel happier now losing 2 pounds than gaining 2 lb or holding steady 5 years ago at 10-15lbs lighter! And I feel crummier gaining a few pounds now than earlier in the year when i was 15lbs heavier and finally starting to lose.

When people see it going it up/plateau it can make them feel that they are not in control of their bodies. So the complaining you see with other people lighter than you is probably more of a reflection of how they are upset with how their number is trending rather than the number itself. When you think of this side of it, it might make you feel less unhappy about them complaining about their weight and it can help to know that many people lighter or heavier struggle to keep healthy and keep their body in good balance.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

How do you feel when someone brags about their weight loss in front of you, and they weigh less than you?
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It goes two ways for me. If someone is honestly unhappy with their body, even if they are smaller than me, it doesn't bother me because I know everyone has their own struggles. My best friend has always been super skinny, but since having her two babies, some of the weight has stuck around her thighs/hips and tummy. I still think she look amazing and I would kill for her figure, but I know she isn't happy and would like to trim down a little. So when she complains about her extra baggage it doesn't bother me.

However, if someone is rail skinny and just whines about their appearance just to fish for compliments, that bugs me. One day this super skinny girl at work was saying how she weighed in that morning and the scale asked her why there were two people on the scale. Oh haha, you think you're fat and you probably weigh 110 soaking wet. And the two people she was telling this to are at least 300-350 pounds. I doubt they appreciated that very much.

^^^^ THIS.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

:laugh: the mad face cracks me up
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My mom says she's fat daily...and weighs around 120 lbs. Today she asked me what I weigh. My reply was "Well, considering you're shorter than me and my stomach isn't as small as yours, you can only guess I'm more than 120". After that, she pressed, so I gave her the number. She got a disgusted look on her face and gave me the whole "You're big-boned" speech, which is clearly not true since I used to be smaller and know better...then continued to call herself fat :grumble:

I just shut my mouth and sat there quietly for the rest of that car ride...