The cabbage soup diet

Options
Has anyone tried this? I just looked up the soup recipe and didn't realize there was a whole diet surrounding it...Not sure how I feel about it.

Just like the name says, the bulk of this diet is fat-free cabbage soup, eaten two to three times a day with other allowed foods assigned each day. Here's what you can add:

Day 1: Fruit, except bananas
Day 2: Vegetables like leafy greens (not starchy), but no fruit
Day 3: Fruits and vegetables
Day 4: Bananas and skim milk
Day 5: Beef (or baked chicken without the skin) and tomatoes
Day 6: Beef and vegetables
Day 7: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and vegetables

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Seems to be incredibly restrictive. Likelihood of compliance after a few days would be extremely low. Not a long term solution in any way. Most days would be almost completely devoid of dietary protein and fat which is a terrible idea. Every day would likely be extremely low calories. What happens when you come off the diet? Where is the transition back to "normal" eating? All in all I'd say that cabbage soup diet looks pretty bad.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • cheslightsey
    cheslightsey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did this diet in mid-May to jump start my weight loss. I was about 25 lbs overweight at the time. I was able to pretty easily stick to this and lost 8 pounds. After that, I started tracking on MFP and am now down about 20 lbs. For me, the diet helped me get past my sugar cravings and therefore lower my caloric intake on a daily basis for the long haul...I'm a recovering sugar junkie.
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If I had the will power, I would try it.
  • saistarxo
    saistarxo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm one DAY 1 now and will be trying to complete it. My friend has done the diet had got positive results and also said she felt better/different when it was over.

Will keep you posted!
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Doesn't it make you fart?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have not used the diet, but I do make a variation of the soup. Very low calorie and delicious.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried this? I just looked up the soup recipe and didn't realize there was a whole diet surrounding it...Not sure how I feel about it.

Just like the name says, the bulk of this diet is fat-free cabbage soup, eaten two to three times a day with other allowed foods assigned each day. Here's what you can add:

All those things sound great. Why do they have to be done in order?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This has been around for decades.....google Dolly Parton Diet.

Ugh!.....stay far, far away from this diet. The soup is tastey....but 7 days worth (blech). You'll be sick of it. No 7 day diet is going to miraculously make you thin. As for a "jump start".....jump start to miserable. You don't have to be miserable.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

All those things sound great. Why do they have to be done in order?

Exactly what I was going to say. Why not incorporate all of these foods in to your daily diet?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I'm one DAY 1 now and will be trying to complete it. My friend has done the diet had got positive results and also said she felt better/different when it was over.

Will keep you posted!
    02f.gif
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I like cabbage. It gives me stinky farts. hee hee

This diet is old as hell. Been around since my moms time.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yuck.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it make you fart?

Of course it does.....cabbage. All the acid in the tomatoes is hard to stomach too.

And low fat........this is a product of the 70's. Low protein for most days....boy this sounds healthy doesn't it? :noway:
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Sounds ridiculous! Eat whatever you want within your calories. Geez how does anyone think these diets are good ideas?
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I like day 6.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's a very low calorie diet that's extremely low on protein intake. Great, you'll lose weight but a large portion of that will be muscle and not just fat. I never want to jump start muscle loss so I'll never do this age old fad diet.
  • ANTlSOClAL
    Options
    I like cabbage soup, but not a diet of it.

You know what works? A calorie deficit.
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I once unintentionally ate cabbage soup every day for 1 week because I literally only had enough money for 1 cabbage, 1 pack of onions and stock cubes... it was probably only 100 kcal a serving. I lost 3lb. :/ I wasn't even on a diet at the time.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Of course you will lose weight... While you are actually following the diet. How long will that be?