Weight Gain :(

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Soooooo.....you're 5'10" and have 17 pounds to get to goal weight....and you're aiming for a 1.7 pounds per week loss? Interesting.

May I inquire as to how much you currently weigh?
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    OK so last week I posted asking about calories. I'm 5'10 (female) and WAS eating 1250 calories in addition to exercise. People suggest I need to up the calories and it made sense as I was feeling very tired. So I went up to 1750.

My normal Thursday weigh in was happy- down a pound. So I decide to keep going with that. And then, today I was feeling down about the weight loss so when I went into training I decided to step on the scale. Up a pound. Ugh. What the?????

I'm supposed to be losing 1.7 lbs a week.

Any thoughts???

First of all, I am 3 different weights every day. Going up a pound is nothing to worry about. If you're female, it could be your period.

But what I'm really interested in....How does MFP really work?? How are you allowed to eat 1750 a day and still lose 1.7 a week? I haven't eaten 1750 daily in over 2 months. I'm jealous. And honestly curious how it works.

MFP calculates an estimate based on height, weight, age, and activity level. OP also didn't mention whether she's doing the exercise calorie model or the TDEE method, which gives you a higher goal but then you don't log your exercise.

Wait, crap, how do I know what I'm doing? I log my exercise ( just cardio ) but I didn't see a choice between the two. Now I'm worried I'm doing it all wrong!
  • cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Beats me.
    I "gained" nearly two pounds this week, but MFP app says I had a calorie deficit for that week.
    But my sodium levels were red all weekend.
    Oh well
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    OK so last week I posted asking about calories. I'm 5'10 (female) and WAS eating 1250 calories in addition to exercise. People suggest I need to up the calories and it made sense as I was feeling very tired. So I went up to 1750.

My normal Thursday weigh in was happy- down a pound. So I decide to keep going with that. And then, today I was feeling down about the weight loss so when I went into training I decided to step on the scale. Up a pound. Ugh. What the?????

Any thoughts???

First of all, I am 3 different weights every day. Going up a pound is nothing to worry about. If you're female, it could be your period.

But what I'm really interested in....How does MFP really work?? How are you allowed to eat 1750 a day and still lose 1.7 a week? I haven't eaten 1750 daily in over 2 months. I'm jealous. And honestly curious how it works.

MFP calculates an estimate based on height, weight, age, and activity level. OP also didn't mention whether she's doing the exercise calorie model or the TDEE method, which gives you a higher goal but then you don't log your exercise.

Wait, crap, how do I know what I'm doing? I log my exercise ( just cardio ) but I didn't see a choice between the two. Now I'm worried I'm doing it all wrong!

If you didn't manually adjust your calorie goals, than you are fine.
    The TDEE method, usually involves an calorie calculator from another website and manually adjusting calorie/macro goals here.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If I eat something salty or with a lot of carbs (but still within my calorie limit) late in the day, I just don't weigh myself the next morning. It's easier to remember that daily fluctuations aren't what really matter when there isn't a bad number staring me in the face.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    As stated from previous posters, weight loss is not linear. It's going to go up and down over short periods, but as long as the over all long term trend is down, then progress is being made.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I gain a few pounds during hot weather. As soon as it cools down, the weigh drops back off.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    what-success-really-looks-like.png
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Its water weight - I wouldn't even stress your head about it

I DONT!!!!

Just keep eating well, working out, drink lots of H20, Lift heavy... Trust me your see the results through pictures or by inches....

That scale is a naughty bad bad liar

Also ps) Make sure your getting lots of fibre in your diet... for a number 2

Only weigh once a week if you really need or want too!

I think pictures are best to be honest... I weigh so much now, but then I look at my photos of my arms & shoulders & can see the difference, My shape is changing all the time.

Why don't you focus on ie ... Being stronger, Lifting heavier, running faster etc???

No one can see the number on your forehead...

Hope this has helped you... By the way your an inch taller than me.. How much do you weigh??
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Any thoughts???

If you use the number of calories MFP calculated for you and then log and eat back exercise calories you're not doing it wrong, you're doing it the way MFP is set up. Some people choose the TDEE method because it allows you to eat the same amount every day, instead of using exercise to "earn" more food. The other side of that though is that you have to workout or you lose your deficit.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Seriously, don't cry yourself to sleep over 1lb, chill out. You can probably poo more than 1lb!

Btw I am 5'10 (and twice your age) and am set up to eat 1720 to lose 0.5 to 1lb a week. I had pretty much stalled for the past 4 weeks and then whoosh on Saturday I was down 7lbs from the previous 2 weeks. I put this down to previous weeks' losses being due to water/sodium and TOM being due the week before.