Had a fitness assessment, feel even more confused

Options
So I had a fitness assessment this morning as a part of joining a new gym and left in tears. Not because I found out I am seriously out of shape, I knew that. But because I'm just so lost. MFP gives me 1200 calories but I know that is not sustainable for me. I've done that and lost and then crashed and burned and gained tons back. So, I allow myself 1500 with the mental agreement that I will burn at least a few hundred a day. Well the woman I met with was wonderful and she said I need to stop focusing on cardio so much and lift heavy. I know that is the popular thing these days and probably for great reasons and if I had 10 pounds to lose, maybe it would be right for me, but I have 40 to lose. I'm afraid of not doing cardio. She said I should be doing heavy weights followed by about 20 minutes of interval cardio. I'm just so scared to do that. That would be 3 days a week and I know I could do more cardio than she suggests but I just feel like I have no clue what to do. She also thinks I should set up some personal training sessions to at least get a start/program but I don't know, I'm just so lost and confused and afraid and feel like I need to cut down to 1200 calories if I am going to have any success. I want long term, sustainable results and maybe this is the way to get them, but it scares me.

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Lifting isnt for everyone.
    I have weight machines put into my gym schedule two days a week.
    You have to do what is best for you and what makes you feel good.
    I just wrote down a blog for myself earlier giving myself a routine and I hope it helps me.
    Feel free to add me.
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi Beth,

It is true that combining heavy weights with cardio will burn more fat than either of the two activities alone, however you still need to be comfortable doing what makes you happy. Gyms are a business that focuses on making sure all the personal trainers are engaged all the time, so don't be talked into personal trainers if you feel there is no need for one. If you are motivated to get things going, there is plenty of good advice and support within here.

SteveY
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Personally I have always gotten very little advice that works for me during the fitness assessments given when I join a gym.

They leave me confused, discouraged, and over the years the plans laid out for me include the exercise du jour. they also include expensive personal training sessions that I never buy.

All you need is right here. Read the forums, read sexy pants and the links in getting started. Ask questions of the folks here.

Join the gym, smile and come up with a plan from info here. You will be fine.

Send me a friend request with a message. We can do this!
    :smile:
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Usually there is a lot of information given at the fitness assessments. You got overloaded with info. That's ok, it happens to a lot of us when we first start. There is so much to take in and trying to figure out what to do, what not to do can be very overwhelming.

So, having said that, If you want to go with 1500 calories to start with, then do that. If you really enjoy cardiio, then do that as well. But maybe take 3 days a week and do some lifting along with shortened cardio sessions on those days. Doing more cardio than just 3 days a week isn't going to hurt you. There are a number of programs that can help you get started.

New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts

And many others. When I started, I was overwhelmed as well. I bought the New Rules book and read through that. Still wasn't feeling that confident and read it again a couple months later. Then I figured out the program and got it into a format that made sense to me.

If cost isn't an issue for the personal trainer, it might be a good idea because they can get you started on what exercises to do and (hopefully) the right way of doing them.

Just take it one step at a time. When you've got a handle on that one step, then take the next step and add that into your regular routine. Don't feel like you are alone in this. We are all here because we don't know everything and sometimes need to read about others going through the same thing.

It will get easier - or at least easier to understand. Good luck!
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The advice sounds good to me! She's not telling you not to do cardio, she's telling you to do high intensity interval cardio after your heavy lifting sessions. This program will be great for helping you burn fat, and much more effective than hours of low intensity cardio. You could always add some walking or other easy activity on the days you don't lift, if you have the energy.

Unless you really dislike lifting weights, give this program a try for a month or so, work hard and see what happens! I think you'll be happy with the results.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Cardio is ok, but you need to build muscle to burn more fat! I'm sure the gym wants you to spend money on personal training, but maybe it wouldn't hurt. From what I've read, more muscle mass requires more energy which means you will burn more fat to feed your muscles. Also, if you are working out 3 days a week, I doubt even 1500 cals is enough. My BMR was more than that when I was 40 pounds heavier. Check out IPOARM (search the forums) if you want a different perspective on eating more vs. less. It really does work, I'm proof of that! (fixed bad english in my edit LOL)
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I want long term, sustainable results and maybe this is the way to get them, but it scares me.

Suck it up buttercup. You've been given the answer, and its taking you out of your comfort zone but thats what life's about.
    Take measurements, report back in 3 months with your results :smile:
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The advice sounds pretty appropriate.

Try lifting/cardio x 20 min, 3 days /week and the cardio you like the other days.

The current school of thought is combination of weight training and interval cardio for weight loss.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You have been given good advice. Sorry that it scares you, but you should try to get past that. Many things in life that are best for us happen outside of our comfort zone. If the trainer is good they will help make that transition easier.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like good advice. Why the worry about 1200 calories? MFP gave you that number bc you probably said you wanted to lose the weight fast. If you want to eat more, then up your calories and exercise (yes, lifting is excellent) and do the loss more gradually.

And relax...why scared? You aren't diffusing an atom bomb here, where you must get it right and do it quickly the first time or we all blow! You are learning how to build a sustainable lifelong pattern of fitness and good health. That will require some trial and error and periodic adjustment based on results. Try her suggestions, tweaked with more cardio if you wish, and see what happens. Be prepared for a short term gain from water weight as your muscles heal but watch the trend over a few weeks. If this routine doesn't work for you, then tweak it again.
  • TMski1000
    TMski1000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try some personal training sessions, you could learn something new. I personally think that 1200 Cals is super low -- but thats just me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The advice sounds good if you want to try it. The message I get from your post is not that you dislike lifting but that you are worried about burning less with fewer minutes of cardio. Doing higher intensity cardio can burn a good amount compared with longer lower intensity stuff, but you don't say what you are doing, if you enjoy it, etc. if you do like it, it could work too. I favor lifting but you can lose without doing it quite well. So far I've lost mostly walking, and mostly biking and running, without an effective strength training program to speak of (although I'm working on adding that now).

I think the real issue goes back to your concern about the 1200 recommendation and your probably sensible decision that 1500 will work better for you. IF MFP said 1200 for a 2 lb loss, especially if you also said sedentary (you probably aren't really), you will lose on 1500, with or without exercise. (Exercise of some sort is better for overall health and fitness, of course.). You shouldn't worry at the beginning that you have to make up the 300 calories or it won't work. Read the sexy pants link pinned at the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss section.

If I knew your stats I'd explain it more specifically.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Bah my awesome graph failed.

I think the advice was reasonable/decent for the most part.

That being said, there is still plenty of room for personal preference in how you structure that training program. IE there are many ways to go about it but very generally the advice to lift ~3/week and do some cardio afterwards is pretty solid to me insofar as a general recommendation.

Finally, I think you should pause and ask yourself why you are upset over someone giving you information and guidance.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.

Try it......if really you hate it and you don't see changes with the measuring tape (the scale is a lying b.)after a few months then go back to cardio.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    So I had a fitness assessment this morning as a part of joining a new gym and left in tears. Not because I found out I am seriously out of shape, I knew that. But because I'm just so lost. MFP gives me 1200 calories but I know that is not sustainable for me. I've done that and lost and then crashed and burned and gained tons back. So, I allow myself 1500 with the mental agreement that I will burn at least a few hundred a day. Well the woman I met with was wonderful and she said I need to stop focusing on cardio so much and lift heavy. I know that is the popular thing these days and probably for great reasons and if I had 10 pounds to lose, maybe it would be right for me, but I have 40 to lose. I'm afraid of not doing cardio. She said I should be doing heavy weights followed by about 20 minutes of interval cardio. I'm just so scared to do that. That would be 3 days a week and I know I could do more cardio than she suggests but I just feel like I have no clue what to do. She also thinks I should set up some personal training sessions to at least get a start/program but I don't know, I'm just so lost and confused and afraid and feel like I need to cut down to 1200 calories if I am going to have any success. I want long term, sustainable results and maybe this is the way to get them, but it scares me.

Yeah, no ****. You can't make money as a personal trainer by prescribing cardio as an exercise recommendation. But "heavy lifting" and "intervals"? KA-CHING!!

Even if the "trainer" is not cynically trying to push into a package, she is still trying to sell you a cookie-cutter, one-size-fits-all, fad approach rather than focusing on you as an individual.

Don't get me wrong, that approach can be successful for those who want to commit to it, but it's not the only approach, and it's not automatically the best approach for everyone.

If you are not doing any strength training, then, yes, that should be included. But 2 days a week is plenty. And cardio can be effective as well, as long as you include a mixture of endurance, tempo, and interval training.

I think your plan of 1500 cals a day along with a balanced workout program can be very successful.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The sole purpose of the "free" fitness assessment is to sell you personal training. It exists for no other purpose and the trainer is a salesperson. Relax, breathe, do the exercises you like to do. You got this!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Personally I have always gotten very little advice that works for me during the fitness assessments given when I join a gym.

They leave me confused, discouraged, and over the years the plans laid out for me include the exercise du jour. they also include expensive personal training sessions that I never buy.

All you need is right here. Read the forums, read sexy pants and the links in getting started. Ask questions of the folks here.

Join the gym, smile and come up with a plan from info here. You will be fine.

Send me a friend request with a message. We can do this!
    :smile:

Come see me. I guarantee you will get accurate, effective recommendations that are geared to you as an individual. :smile:
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.

Try it......if really you hate it and you don't see changes with the measuring tape (the scale is a lying b.)after a few months then go back to cardio.

yeah ,I'd agree... give it a real go , get out of your comfort zone. Most advice handed out here would be been exactly the same

good luck
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Diet is about weightloss exercise is about fitness. I've just had a look at your diary an I'm afraid it's likely your not logging accurately numerous quick added calories. Entries such as 12 almonds. How much do they weigh? lots of days not logged. If you don't know what and how much your eating you have nothing to work from. Get your diet and logging sorted have a look at these links. As for exercise find something you like to do. if you don't like it you wont keep it up. Some people love lifting others don't

Good luck and have a look at these

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • maryetamfp
    maryetamfp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have to say that what the PT suggested sounds indeed very good to me, sounds like the right balance.

With heavy lifting, you will bump your metabolism and get rid of the fat while retaining some of the muscle without losing it all together with fat which is what would happen with only cardio but cardio does have some health benefits as well and the burns are usually higher.

My experience: I'm still a work in progress but have almost reached the 40lbs loss mark (lost since 18 March 2014). I'm 5'2, down to 150lbs from 190lbs. I've been playing around with the numbers and still figuring them out but I think I might have found the perfect balance for me and what I like most. You can try the TDEE - 15% method if you prefer as it will generally give you more calories to eat (and a slower loss but steady, that's what you want).

What works for me at the moment (but might not work for everyone):

1. I constantly eat at a deficit because I still need to lose some more but I always try to hit my macros (especially, getting enough protein).
    2. I follow StrongLifts 5x5 three times a week (a beginners heavy lifting program I totally recommend... I was also intimidated by the whole "lifting" idea but I have to say that after 5 weeks, I absolutely love it).
    3. I do some cardio/HIIT on my "rest days" from lifting (this is usually 1-hour/1k swimming on Mondays, a 30-minute Aqua HIIT class on Wednesday and depending on the week, another day running 5k).

You don't have to have it "black" or "white" but you could definitely try a combo of 3x lifting, 2-3x cardio/hiit and calorie deficit. At the end of the day, 80% is food and you will lose weight if you are on a deficit, regardless of the exercise.

Just think this is something for life, small changes you will be introducing to feel better with yourself, both inside and outside. No quick fixes, fade diets, "wonderful" pills but a change of lifestyle foerever. At least, this is what I think.

Good luck in your journey. You have already completed some of the vital steps: seek advice and have the determination/willpower to change. Happy for you to add me if you want, I do have an open diary and I'm very constant and determined.