Breathing tchniques for jogging/running...

Options
I am wondering if anyone can suggest or recommend any material I may read up on about breathing techniques for jogging or running. Maybe that sounds silly, but as a new runner...my lungs. Hate. Me. I know from past experience that the breathing gets a bit easier the more my body adapts to the exercise, but anything that may help me not sound like a dying grizzly would be welcomed. :laugh:

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Actually there isn't really a breathing trick but there is a trick... slow down. :) Seriously. Most of us start out as new runners thinking we need to run fast, but we don't. You want to focus on increasing your endurance not on speed. The Couch to 5K app recommends that you do not run any faster than a pace at which you can carry on a conversation. So, really, that slow. Try it on your next run and see if it helps.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ^^^Great advice. Also, make sure you are not slouching. Don't look down at your feet, look ahead about 20 feet or so.
  • cdilbeck95
    Options
    I try to focus really hard on breathing out of my nose for as long as I can. When it gets too much, I exhale out of my mouth but still try to inhale through my nose
  • karri144
    karri144 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks! But I really couldn't go any slower!! I start by walking, and then just lightly jog for short lengths but every time I have to stop from being so out of breath. I just thought I read somewhere once on certain recommended breathing tips. Currently I breath like Im in child labor, lol, and just ought maybe I was doing something incorrectly. I appreciate your input!
  • karri144
    Options
    I try to focus really hard on breathing out of my nose for as long as I can. When it gets too much, I exhale out of my mouth but still try to inhale through my nose

This is what I attempted tonight, and it did seem to help a bit. :) Im thinking I just need to focus more on keeping my breathing calm, my mind often starts to race about a million different things while Im running so I lose focus.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Check out YouTube, there are several vids on breathing while running. Good luck
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Stupid question - you don't have asthma, do you? If you truly are going as slow as you can and are still gasping for air, it may be something to look into.
  • ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I stopped running for awhile because it got boring and started Jazzercise and have done that for over a year. Now I started running again with my son as he is training to start Cross Country at school. We go to the track and low and behold no heavy breathing. I am by no means fast, I pace about a 13-14 minute mile but my breathing and pace are steady. I don't feel completely winded after running 2 miles without stopping.

When I was running awhile back I always had to run/walk now it is so much better. I believe I built up my cardio strength and breathing during Jazzercise. Dancing I don't even realize how hard I am breathing.

Inga
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I time my breaths with my steps - three each. In my mind, I count, "IN, two, three, OUT, two, three." It takes a bit of practice, but really does help. I can definitely tell when I'm not breathing correctly.
  • karri144
    Options
    Stupid question - you don't have asthma, do you? If you truly are going as slow as you can and are still gasping for air, it may be something to look into.

I had childhood asthma that I have since grown out of... But to be honest this is the first time I have taken up running or serious exercise since I was younger. Maybe it is still lingering? Not a stupid question, more so stupid that I really didn't think of this! Lol! Ive always thought I grew out of it, but perhaps I just haven't done much in recent years to exasperate it. I do have an inhaler, perhaps I will use it prior to my next run to see if it helps. Thanks for bringing this up.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

I had childhood asthma that I have since grown out of... But to be honest this is the first time I have taken up running or serious exercise since I was younger. Maybe it is still lingering? Not a stupid question, more so stupid that I really didn't think of this! Lol! Ive always thought I grew out of it, but perhaps I just haven't done much in recent years to exasperate it. I do have an inhaler, perhaps I will use it prior to my next run to see if it helps. Thanks for bringing this up.

If there is any chance you now have exercise induced asthma, see your doctor just to be safe.

One thing that seems to have improved my lungs when running is to alternate jogging, walking, and short sprints. I don't know why it works, but it does. I also try to run at times when there is the least air pollution in my area.
  • Equus3nMom
    Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I got advice years ago from Scott Jurek, multiple winner of the Western States 100. He says not to sustain a running pace that is more than what you can do breathing through your nose. Nose breathing makes you pull the breath deeper through your core - which means the diaphram is doing the work, rather than gasping which makes the lungs work harder - and tire quicker.

If that means you have to walk, then run, then walk then run until you can keep a running/jogging pace, so be it. Listen to your body and build it up rather than tear it down.

Keep it up. You'll get there.
  • sunnyskies1780
    sunnyskies1780 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It will take time. Running for me is unlike any other exercise and when I take any time off (I run through the year now, but used to break in the winter due to snow) it was my lungs that took the longest to catch back up. You will build up your cardiovascular fitness, but that isn't necessarily tied to the rest of your fitness.

Slow, intervals, and within a few weeks you should notice a difference.

For the record, I have never had asthma and when I started running I was sure I was dying and would never be able to do it because I couldn't breathe. But I got stronger and my lungs improved.

When I run I normally breathe in a 4 stride rhythm, I usually breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. Some people like 3 in 1 out, or something completely different. Once your lungs get a bit more fit you will figure out what works best for you.

Baring true issues with what looks like childhood asthma, your lungs will improve with slow time running intervals.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    2 quick little hacks

1. Make sure to keep your head up, looking forward. If your head drops then it restricts your pathways to pull oxygen in and makes you go into oxygen debt sooner.

2. Look up and read about chest breathing vs stomach (or belly) breathing. You may not be using your lungs to their full potential. Most people do not unless they have been taught.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

It's possible that you just need a little more time to acclimate your lungs to the extra demands that running places on them due to the childhood asthma. Try slow running until you feel like you're gasping, slow to walk until you're breathing nearly normal again, and then back to slow running. You should find that the amount of time you can run slowly increases. If you don't, it might be time to talk to a health professional.

My mom has adult-onset asthma and has always found that caffeine before a walk helps to keep it from interfering. She used to have a big, steep hill to climb near the end of her morning walk (she's since moved) and said she could really tell the difference in the ease of making it up that hill on the mornings where she had a cup of coffee before the walk as opposed to the mornings she didn't.
  • Fat2Fit_imready
    Fat2Fit_imready Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    i just started jogging too and these are great ideas! Cant wait to test them out!
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Ive recently gone to running via heart rate monitor rather than just how I feel or via the watch. Im finding that slowly working up to a range and then staying there has given me much better workouts. Im finding I can do more than my body thinks. From time to time I have to slow down to keep my heart rate int he range I set but a lot of times Im finding there is more in the tank than Im giving myself credit for.
    I find it nice to have an objective number to work off more than just listening to my legs or lungs
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I time my breaths with my steps - three each. In my mind, I count, "IN, two, three, OUT, two, three." It takes a bit of practice, but really does help. I can definitely tell when I'm not breathing correctly.

This is what I do too (only I do it in 2s mostly, sometimes 3s) and it helps me pace my running as well - because if I'm running too fast, I can't breathe. :) I sometimes find thinking of a song with a similar rhythm to repeat in my head works too, especially if I'm trying to power up a hill or get that last half mile in.

FYI, the nose breathing isn't necessary. I have collapsed nostrils so I can't inhale thorugh my nose as many recommend - just don't get enough air that way. But do try to keep your posture straight as that will help you fill your lungs.

Also keep in mind that the hotter it is out, the more that's going to wear you down. Try running when it's cooler out if you can.

Once you've tried some of these tips, if it doesn't get better, definitely talk to your doc about exercise induced asthma.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about getting into running to improve cardiovascular health, but worry about the breathing issue.

To be honest, I don't understand how to apply some of these suggestions:

1. Breathing through my nose is not going to do it. I'm just sitting right now, and have been for maybe an hour. I'm struggling breathing through my nose right now and have to open my mouth every 30-45 seconds to get enough air. If I'm walking or jogging or running, nose breathing won't cut it.

2. Not going any faster than I can carry a conversation means I must walk forever. I will literally never be able to jog or run... I can see being able to work up to walking quickly for awhile, but not beyond that. How is it even possible that someone can carry on a conversation and still be able to breath while running?! So the answer is that I should not run. If I do the couch to 5k, then I will skip all the running portions and walk instead. BTW, I have no problem walking for hours... I just can't run for more than 1-2 minutes without having to stop and catch my breath.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    In the beginning it is key to concentrate on form - breathing especially. You should be breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth. Breathe normally as your body needs, but every so often try to extend your inhalations to (3 count, 4 count, 5 count, etc) and extend your exhalations (you will naturally exhale faster than you inhale). As your lungs expand/increase efficiency this will become more natural.