It's the Zombie Apocalypse-is your skill set up to snuff?

Options

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Well, If we're pretending that there could actually be Zombies, then I can pretend that I am Superman, except hung like a horse, and all living women worship me.

Wait, you mean that's all pretend?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Well, If we're pretending that there could actually be Zombies, then I can pretend that I am Superman, except hung like a horse, and all living women worship me.

Wait, you mean that's all pretend?

Except for the "hung like a horse" part.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    +++ Have access to a property with shuttered windows, steel doors, internal dead lock doors and secure grills in a health care facility with underground tunnels
    ++ Medical, maybe enough to be an assistant field medic
    + Pretty acurate with a recurve/compound bow
    + Good at navigation
    - Fat
    - - Over reliant on technology
    - - - Would be far too excited about a zombie situation
  • LAT1963
    Options
    Zombie Apocalypse Skills eh? Alright.. let me list them.

I know how to make the following armor, functional at that.
    Chainmaille, Boiled Leather, linothorax. If I have the proper steel sheeting I can size and make plate as well.

I can operate a forge for simple tools, hammers, chisels, knives, crude swords.

I can build a steel reinforced mason wall, know a bit about irrigation technique, can grow my own food, find edible plants, hunt, purify water and I know the very best ways to heat a structure using any traditional method imaginable.

I can build a generator if necessary and with access to a machine shop, otherwise I can repair small motors and do all the necessary maintenance.

All that said I'm a crack shot with a rifle and only slightly less proficient with a hand gun, can throw a well balanced hatchet or knife and hit my target with about 80% accuracy. I have been trained in traditional longsword techniques, can throw a javelin quite nicely and have trained other individuals in most of the above crap.

None of that crap matters, because my main skill and most useful in any sort of apocalyptic breakdown is my knowledge and ability to turn hops into beer and distill one hell of a wicked whiskey. :drinker:

When the zombies show up, lets get married!
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Last year when the Walking Dead series returned UC Irvine was offering a non credit online course that correlated with the Walking Dead series. One of the courses in the series had us to assess how our skill set could be used in midst of the zombie apocalypse and the weeks and months after when the availability of necessities became more scarce. It was disheartening to find that a lot of my skills sadly relied upon technology.
    So with that said, what skills do ya'll have that could be readily applied in this type of situation? What would be your new job if you found yourself rebuilding/ revising civilization as we know it? What would you need to learn?

I can live off the land and skilled in primitive weaponry. Plus I can punch about as hard as large mule can kick.

But most importantly, I have lots of stamina! :wink:
  • TracieWomble
    TracieWomble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well, they didnt till I Am Legend which completely blew my ZA Plan out of the water. Before that silly film, they couldnt jump !! I was staying upstairs and knocking the stairs out.!!
  • Johnny760
    Options
    That's why I'm storing all this extra fat in my belly... So I can survive without food for months in case of a Zombie Apocalypse.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wait - I'm in! I can run (runner 5, anyone?) and grow my own food/harvest seeds - I have my own stock of heirloom seeds. I'm a decent shot, so I hunt and fish (with a hook and line, not a gun...and clean my catch). I can cook up a storm, dry meat, can (as in canning food). And I make a fantastic strawberry wine (and 'ancient orange mead'). Pick Me!
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I can plow a field all day long, I can catch catfish from dusk 'til dawn.
    Make our own whiskey and our own smoke too, Ain't too many things this old boy can't do.
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I can make cement from limestone/shells, sand and gravel. I can build and manage irrigation systems for crops and fish farming. I can make generators, recycle almost anything to raw materials, and make castings for tools. and even lathes.

I know how to make fresh water from a big pile of rocks, and how to turn wood/cellulose into gasoline, diesel, kerosene, etc. I know how to brew alcohol from biologicals for fuel etc...
    I know how to build houses, buildings, and bridges.

I can make ammunition/etc if the need were to arise, and am a crack shot even with iron sights at 200+ yards. I can build/rebuild engines, and even make the parts to fix one if needed. I can design, build, and repair electronics and electrical systems.

The point being, while all you guys are surviving, I'm rebuilding a society.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    Well, my tea and coffee making skills are above par.....
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    my IQ is +130
    my bf is <14%
    aced the ASVAB with 98%
    wait wait wrong thread sorry

can run (scout/courier/messenger) and skateboard (...if the roads aren't clogged with dead cars. BTW in ZA skateboards > bikes because portability)
    can climb
    don't need to eat much (great at fasting)
    limited knowledge of nutritional/healing herbs
    can take a LOT of pain
    decisive
  • Xalifer
    Xalifer Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Not to be a pessimist or anything but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be the first one to die. I'll be lucky enough if I manage to see two other person die first before me. Just sayin
  • DWhy5
    DWhy5 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Xalifer, I've got you bro. We can meet up. I'm getting a Glenn vibe from you, and I've obviously got the leadership skill of Sheriff Rick Grimes. I think we live if we go at it together.
  • MikeCrazy
    Options
    Xalifer, I've got you bro. We can meet up. I'm getting a Glenn vibe from you, and I've obviously got the leadership skill of Sheriff Rick Grimes. I think we live if we go at it together.

That just screams, "come with me if you want to live..."
  • LAT1963
    Options
    So, Mike, Chem E?
  • MikeCrazy
    Options
    Chem, mech, and electrical.

Oh and I grew up on a farm...LOL.
  • puggglet
    puggglet Posts: 102
    Options
    I happen to think I'd.be utterly useless!

My art / drawing / tattoo skill that pay the bills now would do sweet fa then.
    I'll find a.large filing cabinet and hide
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if the zombies appear, I'm a walking snack for sure.
  • Xalifer
    Xalifer Posts: 392 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say no to that mate. I will take anything I can get right now