Poly and Moly unsaturated fats

Options
13»

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The point is, there's just no reason to keep baiting me to argue about fish oil. I'm not arguing or debating about fish oil. I don't disagree with your argument about fish oil, so why would I want to argue about it?
    I'm not "baiting" you to argue about anything. I wasn't arguing with you originally when all I did was ask you for your source, and I'm not arguing with you now. All I've done is pointed out the flaws/caveats to your made-up recommendation. If you had any evidence to support your statements, then sure, we could discuss it. What seems to be argument to you is me simply pointing out facts, mainly for the benefit of other people reading. Because the fact that you eat fish everyday is not applicable to most other people.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The point is, there's just no reason to keep baiting me to argue about fish oil. I'm not arguing or debating about fish oil. I don't disagree with your argument about fish oil, so why would I want to argue about it?
    I'm not "baiting" you to argue about anything. I wasn't arguing with you originally when all I did was ask you for your source, and I'm not arguing with you now. All I've done is pointed out the flaws/caveats to your made-up recommendation. If you had any evidence to support your statements, then sure, we could discuss it. What seems to be argument to you is me simply pointing out facts, mainly for the benefit of other people reading. Because the fact that you eat fish everyday is not applicable to most other people.
    Then thank you for pointing out that eating an entire bottle of fish oil at once is not a healthy alternative to other polyunsaturated fat sources, such as walnuts or sunflower seeds. I hadn't thought of that.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    backfire effect

The "backfire effect" is a term coined by Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler to describe how some individuals when confronted with evidence that conflicts with their beliefs come to hold their original position even more strongly:

http://www.skepdic.com/backfireeffect.html
  • jg627
    Options
    backfire effect

The "backfire effect" is a term coined by Brendan Nyhan and Jason Reifler to describe how some individuals when confronted with evidence that conflicts with their beliefs come to hold their original position even more strongly:

That would be relevant if I was trying to disagree...
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Then thank you for pointing out that eating an entire bottle of fish oil at once is not a healthy alternative to other polyunsaturated fat sources, such as walnuts or sunflower seeds. I hadn't thought of that.
    I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
    backfire effect

Yeah I've read that before - probably the case here. Still helps other folks who are reading though.
  • jg627
    Options

You said 25 grams of fish oil could be harmful. I agree. Thank you.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

Regarding "eating an entire bottle" of fish oil - the bottles I buy (from Costco) contain 300 capsules, 1g each. They only cost about 5-6 bucks per bottle. I take 10g a day, so each bottle lasts a month. Given the benefits, it's well worth the cost for me.

Is this really what you've gotten out of this thread?
    If so, you've completely missed the point and your reading comprehension is more of an issue than I previously thought. I talked about how plant-based sources are not going to serve as viable alternatives. I'm not going to continue quoting things for you, you'll just have to re-read the thread a few times. Good luck!
  • jg627
    Options

Regarding "eating an entire bottle" of fish oil - the bottles I buy (from Costco) contain 300 capsules, 1g each. They only cost about 5-6 bucks per bottle. I take 10g a day, so each bottle lasts a month. Given the benefits, it's well worth the cost for me.

Is this really what you've gotten out of this thread?
    If so, you've completely missed the point and your reading comprehension is more of an issue than I previously thought. I talked about how plant-based sources are not going to serve as viable alternatives. I'm not going to continue quoting things for you, you'll just have to re-read the thread a few times. Good luck!
    It's a hyperbole. I apologize. I shouldn't have said it that way. You are right. 25 grams of fish oil a day could be harmful. I completely agree.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    That romance could continue for decades. Wait Glucocorticoi :
    3Eiot

@jg627 : yes you provided an advice with no support, but it's no biggie :-)

Is that popcorn salty or sweet?

Edited because poopcorn is not really a snack!!
  • jg627
    Options
    Plant sources are way better than animal sources of healthy fats and protein. There. I said it.
  • Dirtclustit
    Options
    please realize that your understanding of the subject is a little askew, and that is what has detracted from the ability for well meant responders and has enabled journoterrorist to hijack and give answers intended to confuse or make them look right regardless of how misleading there half truths of manipulated data.

jg627 does his best to give factual information without all the hype, and it's hype that is journoterrorism. Thank you jg627, and I apologize for the blogger/journoterrorists that have detracted from this thread. They know nothing about science or the scientific method, computer "science" knowledge does not equal scientific knowledge of truths, in fact it is mostly computer "scientists" who detract from the masses being able to understand the truth, their saving grace is that computers are powerful communication tools, too bad CS people use them to spread untruths.

ANYWAY

first of all the prefixs of UNsaturated fat are poly and mono, not poly and moly,

second all, unsaturated fats are NOT bad, they in fact should be the majority of fat in your diet. In general, Unsaturated fat is healthier than saturated fat, as well as both poly and mono being better for you than trans fat, which is generally used to denote a synthetic, hydrogenated oil.

The reason that a web site would recommend O grams of fat, is because one gram is equal to one thousand milligrams. There was obviously a mistake is the units of measure such as the human entering grams (g) instead of milligrams (mg) and the computer program must have had a system of rounding to whole numbers so it displayed zero

These types of glitches are rampant in computer programming and the day the media fools the world into believing that computer science is an actual science, is the day that the next y2k or rounding 200mg to zero grams will cause catastrophic disasters which could have easily been prevented had it not been for arrogant men being more concerned with how they look to the masses

:bigsmile:

please people, enough of the journoterrorism

thank you, your pal

~Dusty
  • LaurenGetsFit2
    LaurenGetsFit2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Whoa.

Unsaturated fats are the best kind of fats; both of them lower LDL (Low-Density Lipoproteins---the BAD cholesterol); they're found in things like olive oils, fish, nuts/seeds, flax, and avocados. They also help to RAISE HDL (High-Density Lipoproteins; the GOOD cholesterol).

Saturated fats--things that are usually SOLID at room temperatures (butters, coconut oil)--tend to RAISE the LDL & LOWER the HDL. Compared to transfats (which you should avoid at all costs--take in as little as possible), saturated fats are "okay" for you, and they won't entirely destroy your body like trans fats will.

Everything is okay (except for trans fats) in moderation---healthy living is all about balance and harmony between good & bad. So long as 80-90% of your daily diet is composed of healthy things, eating a small dessert or an "unhealthy" snack between lunch & dinner is okay. Make most of your choices healthy, and when you treat yourself, get back on the healthy bandwagon right after. :)

My sister's an RD (Registered Dietician---the only real "nutritionist" you should ever trust), and I'm big into health & nutrition myself. And I'm also pre-med, so I do know a thing or two haha.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Whoa.

Unsaturated fats are the best kind of fats; both of them lower LDL (Low-Density Lipoproteins---the BAD cholesterol); they're found in things like olive oils, fish, nuts/seeds, flax, and avocados. They also help to RAISE HDL (High-Density Lipoproteins; the GOOD cholesterol).

Saturated fats--things that are usually SOLID at room temperatures (butters, coconut oil)--tend to RAISE the LDL & LOWER the HDL. Compared to transfats (which you should avoid at all costs--take in as little as possible), saturated fats are "okay" for you, and they won't entirely destroy your body like trans fats will.

Everything is okay (except for trans fats) in moderation---healthy living is all about balance and harmony between good & bad. So long as 80-90% of your daily diet is composed of healthy things, eating a small dessert or an "unhealthy" snack between lunch & dinner is okay. Make most of your choices healthy, and when you treat yourself, get back on the healthy bandwagon right after. :)

My sister's an RD (Registered Dietician---the only real "nutritionist" you should ever trust), and I'm big into health & nutrition myself. And I'm also pre-med, so I do know a thing or two haha.

I didn't read the whole thread because it's honestly a bunch of nonsense. Just to be clear, saturated fats have been shown to raise very-large LDL not very-small. Actually, they have been shown to decrease very small and increase very large. Very small are the bad ones that nudge themselves into vein walls and cause inflammation responses that lead to atherosclerosis. Very-large LDL are pretty benign. Saturated fats, as you say, are okay in moderation. I would go one step further and say they are GREAT in moderation.

HDL is over rated. It was once thought to decrease total cholesterol in the blood stream via reverse cholesterol transport system. While it most definitely does this its effects aren't quiet clear. For example, drugs that increase total HDL do not decrease likelihood for cardiovascular diseases. This becomes even more muddled in the event of elevated triglycerides.

I would go through the hassle of finding the studies that support all this but I'll just link this MD article that does all the work for me (including citations). I recommend reading all eight parts. Guy is a MD and does his research and supports everything he says with multiple citations of well-done studies.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i

Also, plant sources of fat are not necessarily better, Plants are usually high in poly unsaturated fats. These are, of course, good but some decent studies have found that our ratio of poly/mono unsaturated fat intake is greatly skewed toward dramatically greater poly unsaturated fat. This isn't optimal. We need to intake more monounsaturated fats which are, sometimes, harder to find.

I wasn't sure I wanted to write this cause I know someone will call me on it and I'll have to do work but cholesterol, next to insulin, is the most misunderstood molecules in the body.