Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's not good as an enema as it taints the taste
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Drinking decaf coffee is like drinking non-alcoholic beer.
  • Diva_79
    Diva_79 Posts: 66
    Options
    I don't understand what there is to be confused about.

If you like coffee drink it.

If you don't like coffee don't drink it.

If you are worried it's addictive and avoiding it because you believe every Dr Oz article written on the stuff... I really hope I never come across you before I am caffeinated.

Cute post hehe

I guess I'm just trying to be as healthy as possible. I like other things but I don't take them because they are clearly bad for me... I'm not clear on whether or not coffee is bad for me. I'm clear that drinking too much alcohol is bad for me... see?
    PS I hope you've had your coffee!!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The only addictive thing in coffee is caffeine. If you don't want the addiction, drink decaf.

Coffee is loaded with antioxidants and does help regularity. Caffeine helps concentration and calorie burn.

Soy milk won't hurt you either, in moderation. The internet will demonize virtually all foods.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm also confused about coffee. It smells SO GOOD, but I cannot stand the taste.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    All I know is that without coffee, I have been described as the "Godzilla of coworkers."

So, I drink it.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    All I know is that without coffee, I have been described as the "Godzilla of coworkers."

So, I drink it.

Yep. Coffee is the only thing that keeps me off death row. :laugh:
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You could try going half-caff. by substituting non-coffee alternative instead of the decaf:

http://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Herbal-Alternative-Mediterranean-Vanilla/dp/B00DPEE2K2/

I bought a bag for a friend, and they loved it as a half/half mix w/ regular coffee!
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what there is to be confused about.

If you like coffee drink it.

If you don't like coffee don't drink it.

If you are worried it's addictive and avoiding it because you believe every Dr Oz article written on the stuff... I really hope I never come across you before I am caffeinated.

Wait, are you trying to tell me that Dr. Oz isn't always right?
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Death before decaf...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Better than crack.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Let me sum it up with this:

a06a625a0869ae3ce52fac6ed3126e2e.jpg

Addictive or not...I'll live with the vice.
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There's nothing I like better, than a good cup of coffee on a cool morning, watching the sun come up. Most anything can be addictive. Be it coffee, tea, soda, chocolate, etc. Like others have said, if it causes problems, or if you don't want it, don't drink it. Of you want a cup, have a cup. Moderation.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is somewhat addictive, to me, between the energy boost and the withdrawal headaches. That said, anyone trying to 'cure me' of my addiction had better be prepared to defend themselves.

It's not detrimental to your 'water intake needs,' more than one study has shown it to have health benefits as part of a decent diet, and frankly, I like the taste better than decaf (and yes, I can definitely taste the difference).

"From my cold, dead hands. . . ."
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I drink about 5 cups a day. It's about 10 calories a cup, makes me alert & productive, keeps me regular, makes me less hateful, and deters me from drinking other things when I am home (like beer).

Not seeing the downsides.

There are reports every week for and against it. I think as long as you are consuming a "normal" amount of 2-3 cups per day, there are really no health impacts.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    coffee_measuring_cup_shh_almost_you_may_speak_poop_mug-r46c4047b908547ea965fa4163b24833e_x7jgr_8byvr_512.jpg?bg=0xffffff
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Caffeine can be addicting, sugar can be addicting, alcohol and drugs can be addicting. It all really depends on YOU as a person.

If drinking it doesn't make you feel well- then stop. If you can have one cup a day and be fine with that, then go down that path.

For me personally, I have one 8 oz serving of coffee a day with soy milk during the week. I rarely drink coffee on the weekends.

I do personally hate when anyone labels a food as "bad'. Yes, there are things that are not great for you- but quite honestly everything from the water we drink to the air we breathe is going to kill us in some way. As long as you are taking care of what makes you feel best, that's the best any of us can do.

QFT!!!

You will find that the best sources of misinformation = friends and media.

I suffer from migraines and caffeine is one of the only ways I can combat them while I am at work until I can get home and take meds. (Did the whole neurologist route; stopped drinking coffee for 2 months, migraines were WORSE!)

if I don't drink at least one caffeine beverage (coffee/tea) a day I turn into a raging she-hulk and refuse to be civil with people because my head feels like it's going to implode. Typically in the mornings, this otherwise social butterfly is VERY anti-social until I've poured a nice hot cup of muddy caffeinated goodness into my tummy.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do have to add on a more serious note though... caffeine is an addictive drug and it can be VERY easy to overdose and die from it if you don't consume responsibly. (AKA don't drink back to back coffee/tea/energy drinks/powder caffeine all day and go easy on the quad shot lattes if you're a beginner.)
  • Melissa_mojo
    Melissa_mojo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with a scoop of chocolate protein and it taste like a mocha flavored coffee drink mmmmm plus I get 25 grams of protein in one cup and for some reason I dont get a belly ache like if I were to have a plain protein shake
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Coffee contains caffeine which is an addictive stimulant. If you really like coffee but don't want the caffeine, you can always switch to decaf or substitute with something like Teeccino (http://teeccino.com/). I did that for a while. It has more calories than coffee per cup but no caffeine and is not acidic.

I highly recommend you ween yourself off of caffeinated coffee slowly if you decide to give it up at all. (your choice, caffeine is not all that bad) Otherwise, the withdrawal headache is killer. You may also feel unfocused, tired, grumpy and dizzy when giving it up cold turkey. Try mixing it with a little decaf or teeccino for a week, then each week adjust the ratio until eventually you are no longer getting the caffeine.