TIME

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Or conversely the folk who do four-hour workouts may be filling the time they have available without sacrifices. Those of us who don't have that sort or time on our hands prioritise the workouts we need to do to achieve our goals for the lesser time we have available.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    OP, everyone is giving you every possible option here. All they're getting back is, "I just can't."

What were you expecting? The gym bunnies all have time turners that allow them to magically make more time for themselves? It's beating a dead horse. PRIORITIES. You will make time if you want it bad enough. And no, your "just can't" excuse is not good enough.

"Most of you say you wanna be successful but you don’t want it bad, you just KIND OF want it. You don’t want it badder than you wanna party... Most of you don’t want success as much as you want sleep... And I’m here to tell you today, if you're going to be successful you gotta be willing to give up sleep. You gotta be willing to work with 3 hours of sleep – 2 hours of sleep, if you really wanna be successful. Some day you're gonna have to stay up 3 days in a row. Because if you go to sleep you might miss the opportunity to be successful. That’s how bad you gotta want it."
  • enitsirhck
    enitsirhck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It isn't in addition it's because I can't fit it in. Please can you tell me where I can fit in the hour of lift when I can only just fit in 40 mins of running.

They are saying doing the running every other day, and on "non-running" days do lifting.

IDK what your goals are for the 10k but I've done half marathons with less training than you are doing so don't stress so much :) If you don't look forward to your workout, you're working too hard.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I think you're aiming to do too much at once, and you certainly don't need to run more than three times a week to train for a 10K. Try something like this. No epic sessions required.

Mon - Rest/stretching
    Tue - Weights and core
    Wed - Run intervals
    Thu - Weights and core
    Fri - Run tempo
    Sat - Weights and core
    Sun - Long run building up to 10K

This is pretty similar to my routine at the moment. I'm also doing a 10K in September.

And that's epic enough for me :happy:

I'm only up to week 6 of 14 for 10k runner hense the running every night.:blushing:
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I didn't actually ask for help as such I asked how people manage to fit in their epic gym sessions

I fit in my "epic gym sessions" by not making excuses. It's obviously not for you, so good luck.

Come back when you are an adult with adult responsibilities. You are not at 21

This is awfuly judgmental, you are assuming because she is 21 she is not and adult and has no responsibilities. I know many 21 year olds that manage to go to school full time, work 30-40 hours a week, pay their bills and still manage to work out and be healthy. 2 hours in the gym is completely uncessary and you are making this more difficult that it should be with a lot of excuses.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else mentioned this (I didn't read every page yet), but Jillian Michael's DVDs like 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, are only 20 minutes in length. If you look on Youtube you can find them. They don't require much time at all and it gives you a great workout. If you never heard of them they include 3 min of strength, 2 min of cardio and 1 min of abbs. I love them.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a gym in probably 10 years!

I alternate 20-30 mins of High Intensity Tabata training with 20-25 mins High Intensity Resistance Training. I do play Volleyball 2 - 3 times a week and on the weekends I have more time, so I will do a 30-40 min jog or throw in extra activity.

Quality not quantity. PUSH! It works.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    OP, everyone is giving you every possible option here. All they're getting back is, "I just can't."

What were you expecting? The gym bunnies all have time turners that allow them to magically make more time for themselves? It's beating a dead horse. PRIORITIES. You will make time if you want it bad enough. And no, your "just can't" excuse is not good enough.

"Most of you say you wanna be successful but you don’t want it bad, you just KIND OF want it. You don’t want it badder than you wanna party... Most of you don’t want success as much as you want sleep... And I’m here to tell you today, if you're going to be successful you gotta be willing to give up sleep. You gotta be willing to work with 3 hours of sleep – 2 hours of sleep, if you really wanna be successful. Some day you're gonna have to stay up 3 days in a row. Because if you go to sleep you might miss the opportunity to be successful. That’s how bad you gotta want it."

And get ill again yeah that's a fabulous plan
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer is not everyone is at work 12.5 hours per day or does most of it on days off.
  • Sugartoes44
    Options
    OP is full of it.

/endthread
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the sleep comments... I don't function well if I'm lacking sleep.

Sleepy can equal hunger, depression, sadness... all kinds of crap that can be easily avoided by sleep.

But I do agree that you have to find time if you want it.

I have a boyfriend, I'm a single mom, I have two jobs, and I run two groups.

Some-days the workout gets skipped.

Sometimes, the boyfriend gets skipped.

Sometimes, the cooking gets skipped.

But not all of them on the same day.

I know it's hard, but you really have to make it a priority if you want too bad enough, you'll figure it out.

More intense shorter workouts, walking at work, and doing workout videos at home help balance it all out.

Good luck.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try to be more positive and look on the optimistic side of things for once….
    Do what you can, don't compare yourself to others, and lastly, don't judge people that seem to have "all the time in the world to exercise and spend hours in the gym…" because I can guarantee you that there are people in the gym that are working out right now, that are busier than you.

Some gyms open at 5am, get to one if you want it bad enough
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm only up to week 6 of 14 for 10k runner hense the running every night.:blushing:
    Are you following a plan? I'd suggest you take a couple of rest days and add in strength training/stretching to prevent injury. Certainly when your runs get longer your legs will be very tired the next day. Hal Higdon's plans are awesomely beginner friendly and come highly recommended.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10-K-Training-Guide-Novice-Program
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I spy with my little eye.. Another excuse:-)

Maybe you don't have to sacrifice the sleep. But there are plenty of other areas in your daily life that you can cut down on. You got mad and attacked Lolowolf's character (her age, specifically) because she pointed out these areas. That logical fallacy is called ad hominem. You used it simply because you don't want to see the reality of your excuses. It's just that, a logical fallacy. It may seem impossible to you now, but that's because you're putting those things as, once again, a PRIORITY over working out.

Have a good day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

true story.
    I feel like we are just going around around.

Anyone who spends more than 5 minutes on MFP outside of logging food and complains about lack of time... is lying.

ALSO that's my favorite motivational video... Because if you go to sleep you might miss the opportunity to be successful. That’s how bad you gotta want it. ...when you want success more than you want to breath!!!
  • aneary1980
    Options

Maybe you don't have to sacrifice the sleep. But there are plenty of other areas in your daily life that you can cut down on. You got mad and attacked Lolowolf's character (her age, specifically) because she pointed out these areas. That logical fallacy is called ad hominem. You used it simply because you don't want to see the reality of your excuses. It's just that, a logical fallacy. It may seem impossible to you now, but that's because you're putting those things as, once again, a PRIORITY over working out.

Have a good day.

It's not an excuse I will actually get ill with lack of sleep it's happened before and will happen again I have to monitor how much sleep I get and the quality of it to ensure I don't end up ill.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Also...

I don't know how the PTO works at your work, but right now I'm setting on almost 150 hours.

That's enough for me to leave work an hour early everyday until the end of the year if I chose.

Maybe you can take a paid hour off work 3x a week for the next few months to get you moving while you think about other options?

I would not take that option. I'm a PTO hoarder. And proud of it. Just sayin'.
  • Sugartoes44
    Options

Have a good day.

It's not an excuse I will actually get ill with lack of sleep it's happened before and will happen again I have to monitor how much sleep I get and the quality of it to ensure I don't end up ill.

C'mon man.

I went from thinking I needed 8 hours of sleep a night to function to having a newborn and MAYBE getting four hours of broken sleep a night. You cannot possibly tell me that if you got 7 hours and thirty mins instead of 8 hours that you would get "ill"......
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Did someone already suggest just buying a few more sports bras and leaving the laundry for the weekend?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options

Have a good day.

C'mon man.

I went from thinking I needed 8 hours of sleep a night to function to having a newborn and MAYBE getting four hours of broken sleep a night. You cannot possibly tell me that if you got 7 hours and thirty mins instead of 8 hours that you would get "ill"......

Anyone with kids has done it, and it was no fun.

Did you really enjoy stumbling into work or driving half asleep?

How about that wonderful appearance of being strung out on drugs, all your money was missing to match the dark under-eyes!

None of us did. We did it and we rock for it, but that's supposed to be temporary, not sustainable for long term.

Of course, our body can do it in an emergency, but it's not optimal for health.

I say make the cut elsewhere.

Take time off work, tell the family you're taking and extra hour, I wouldn't suggest anyone sleep less than they need to have time to lift.