TIME

Options

Replies

• bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I don't live with my boyfriend so I have to do my own washing and cleaning.

So you're doing laundry and cleaning the house every single day?? I do laundry once a week (on the weekend typically)and my gym clothes every day. Washing the gym clothes doesn't take all night.

Why not dedicate a few hours on the weekend and make/package all your lunches so you just grab-and--go in the morning? What time do you have to be at work for and is the gym close to your work? If it is then you can certainly suck it up and get up earlier in the morning and go to the gym a few times during the week.

You say your run 30-40 minutes. Is that a day? If it is then I'm not getting the lack of time thing because you don't need to workout for 2+ hours a day.

I run 30-40 minutes every night. I have a gym routine that I love which is about 2 hours long but I just can't do it atm.

What the heck are you doing for 2 hours at the gym? I mean seriously. I am at the gym for 75 minutes max most days. When I worked out at the fitness center in my office I had limited time and I was able to bang out a really good lifting session in less than hour. Seriously, what are you doing that takes so long?

1 hour of cardio (40 mins on the treadmill, 10 mins on the bike and 10 mins on the cross trainer) it's all interval training. The 20 minutes of weights and 20 minutes of core training then streching. My PT updates it monthly.

But you're already running 30-40 minutes a day so why are you doing an additional hour of cardio? Unless I am mistaking this.

I would like to do my workout but I don't have the time. I just can't work out how people fit it in.

If you're already running 40 minutes/day you don't need to do an hour of cardio a day in addition. You can fit both your lifting and your running in. You can fit in your 40 minute run and an hour of lifting.

It isn't in addition it's because I can't fit it in. Please can you tell me where I can fit in the hour of lift when I can only just fit in 40 mins of running.

Then do 40 minutes of lifting -- do a full body workout -- M/W/F and then run T/TH/Sat.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've read thru the posts and it seems like the OP is just looking for justification on why she can't attain the goals she placed on herself. Very self defeating attitude.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Also...

I don't know how the PTO works at your work, but right now I'm setting on almost 150 hours.

That's enough for me to leave work an hour early everyday until the end of the year if I chose.

Maybe you can take a paid hour off work 3x a week for the next few months to get you moving while you think about other options?

I would not take that option. I'm a PTO hoarder. And proud of it. Just sayin'.

My boss frowns when I leave on time. I have tried adjusitng my hours to go in hour early and leave an hour early which would reduce my commute as the traffic would be less which would free up some time probably an hour, which would solve all the issues but it's like a brick wall.
  • strong_er
    strong_er Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wish you could embed YouTube videos on mfp. This Nike commercial comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA
  • Sugartoes44
    Options
    And get ill again yeah that's a fabulous plan

I spy with my little eye.. Another excuse:-)

Maybe you don't have to sacrifice the sleep. But there are plenty of other areas in your daily life that you can cut down on. You got mad and attacked Lolowolf's character (her age, specifically) because she pointed out these areas. That logical fallacy is called ad hominem. You used it simply because you don't want to see the reality of your excuses. It's just that, a logical fallacy. It may seem impossible to you now, but that's because you're putting those things as, once again, a PRIORITY over working out.

Have a good day.

It's not an excuse I will actually get ill with lack of sleep it's happened before and will happen again I have to monitor how much sleep I get and the quality of it to ensure I don't end up ill.

C'mon man.

I went from thinking I needed 8 hours of sleep a night to function to having a newborn and MAYBE getting four hours of broken sleep a night. You cannot possibly tell me that if you got 7 hours and thirty mins instead of 8 hours that you would get "ill"......

Anyone with kids has done it, and it was no fun.

Did you really enjoy stumbling into work or driving half asleep?

How about that wonderful appearance of being strung out on drugs, all your money was missing to match the dark under-eyes!

None of us did. We did it and we rock for it, but that's supposed to be temporary, not sustainable for long term.

Of course, our body can do it in an emergency, but it's not optimal for health.

I say make the cut elsewhere.

Take time off work, tell the family you're taking and extra hour, I wouldn't suggest anyone sleep less than they need to have time to lift.

Thats exactly my point. I could easily use sleep as an excuse and not work out. I choose to make the time and go to the gym.

Also, I've been doing this for three months. I don't see a break in the near future. So, no, I don't have sympathy for someone crying over 8 hours of sleep.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

How about that wonderful appearance of being strung out on drugs, all your money was missing to match the dark under-eyes!

None of us did. We did it and we rock for it, but that's supposed to be temporary, not sustainable for long term.

Take time off work, tell the family you're taking and extra hour, I wouldn't suggest anyone sleep less than they need to have time to lift.

Every day. That is me- and I don't have kids.... but it's me EVERY day- EVERY week- for the past 5 years.

And it's worth it to me. Because it's THAT important to me to do the things I want to do- it's a sacrifice. and it's one I'm willing to make.
    Some people aren't- which is fine- but don't whine about no time- when you aren't willing to make a sacrifice somewhere- it doesn't HAVE to be sleep- you're right- make the cut on SOMETHING- but you gotta be willing to CUT something.

Social life? what's that? Training > social life.
    Why? because my training matters more to me than having a beer at a pub.

And OP seems to be missing this- you either give up on sleep- or give up somewhere else- if you aren't willing to do it- then stop crying about it.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    It's also worth noting OP is working un-godly hours.

If you making the bank you deserve to be making with those hours, hire someone to come clean your house and do laundry so you can workout.

You could almost afford a cook and a maid at your house part time working +60 hours a week.

I used to have a girl do my mommy cleaning (dishes, floor scrubbing, yes, even laundry) for $8/hr under the table.

I'd hire her to work 2.5 hours twice a week, it made a world of difference and only cost $50/week.
  • aneary1980
    Options

Every day. That is me- and I don't have kids.... but it's me EVERY day- EVERY week- for the past 5 years.

And it's worth it to me. Because it's THAT important to me to do the things I want to do- it's a sacrifice. and it's one I'm willing to make.
    Some people aren't- which is fine- but don't whine about no time- when you aren't willing to make a sacrifice somewhere- it doesn't HAVE to be sleep- you're right- make the cut on SOMETHING- but you gotta be willing to CUT something.

And OP seems to be missing this- you either give up on sleep- or give up somewhere else- if you aren't willing to do it- then stop crying about it.

Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    7pm/7.30 - go for a run (warm up and cool down)
    8pm/8.30 - cook dinner/have a shower/eat dinner
    9pm/9.30 - tidy do washing chores etc
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

What do you suggest I cut???? Please tell me because I can't see anything I can cut???
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    For the long term you could look at working closer to home, but jobs like that can take years to find a good match, and that idea isn't going to help you train for your run in September.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

What do you suggest I cut???? Please tell me because I can't see anything I can cut???

Then why ask for advice?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    8pm/8.30 - cook dinner/have a shower
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

4 year daily time table.

4:15 rise and shine
    4:30 Gym
    6:00 Home
    7:00 Kids to daycare
    8:00 - 5:00pm Work
    5:30 Homework
    6:00-10:30 school
    11/11:30 Home

Rinse/Repeat.

Now it's 4:15 - 5:30, but still..... the kids/cleaning fill in school so it can be done IMHO. Don't do it every day, put your rest days in the middle of the week if that helps.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

Get up and go to the gym at 5am (they do open that early) which will give you an hour and a half before your scheduled "get up" time to put in a work out. shower at the gym if you have to do that in order to get to work on time (people do do that).
    Prep all your meals so you don't have to cook every night and all you have to do is heat it up. have enough clothes so that you don't have to wash until the weekend. go to sleep at a normal hour. get back up and do it again.

some people have excuses. And then others, make sacrifices.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    You could try to rotate the washing and the cooking. If you cook double batches, than eat leftovers the next day, and the same with the washing (if you keep it clean it should stay pretty clean, especially if you're not cooking every other day).

That would clear up about four hours a week.

I feel you. I get mad if I can't put at least 15-20 minutes of "cleaning" in every day or two.

But the big chores, laundry, organization projects etc... I don't really do on the week night unless I have too.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Run 4x per week and switch that time to lifting two days, full rest one day. Get some dumbbell and do it at home. Here's one of my at home routines that takes less than 40 min:

Dumbbell squats
    Biceps curls
    Dumbbell deadlift
    Dumbbell chest press
    Military press
    Push ups (sometimes placing my hands on the dumbbell and pulling them up one at a time after I push up)
    Tricep dips and/or kickbacks
    Dumbbell standing calf raises
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How old is OP again? So set in her ways there no room for change.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

Get up and go to the gym at 5am (they do open that early) which will give you an hour and a half before your scheduled "get up" time to put in a work out. shower at the gym if you have to do that in order to get to work on time (people do do that).
    Prep all your meals so you don't have to cook every night and all you have to do is heat it up. have enough clothes so that you don't have to wash until the weekend. go to sleep at a normal hour. get back up and do it again.

Okay how the hell does that give me 8 hours sleep??????
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

You really don't get it do you? Well good luck. This thread is way too long and has even more possibilities than I though of to help you.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

Put yourself in someone else's shoes, like our SOLDIERS. If they can fight for our country and go days on days with no sleep, you can sacrifice. If a mom working two jobs and is struggling to maintain a house of kids can go on less hours of sleep, so can you. Quit making excuses. Tons of people go every night without 8 hours of sleep, and they manage just fine.
  • aneary1980
    Options

Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

Then why ask for advice?

If you read my original post I actually didn't.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    there are many excuses and little flexiblity and a lot of reasons why she "can't" do this...So for all of us with "easy" lives who make it happen, well kudos to us...this is a losing battle here, and I don't know why we keep offering suggestions when she clearly "can't" do any of them. OP-I truly beleive that if you made yourself get up earlier, lets say an hour, that it may be tough at first but your body would eventually adjust to getting 7 hours of sleep vs 8, from the sounds of it, that isn't something you are intersted in. Yep, during the adjustment period is sucks *kitten*, but in the long run, at least for me....totally worth it...my health is worth more than an hour of sleep during the week everyday, and then I sleep in on Saturdays. You gotta want it and to me, it seems like right now....you don't.