sad- plz dont bash me

makes me sad that i still have 17 more pounds to go before i get back to the weight i was at the LAST time i started my jouney, and 57 more to get back to where i was when i got off track :( im gonna never to this to myself again.
that's on top of the 13 i ALREADY lost, then i have to lose another 60 after i get back to where i was. grand total of 130 pounds i need to lose. UGH!!!

Replies

• HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    You can do it. Day by day, and you will feel incredible when you reach your goal!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Don't think about the total you have to lose - focus on something smaller like 10lb.
    Don't dwell on how far you have to go, remember how far you have come.

You can do it.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Don't look at it that way!! don't look at the big picture and how far you have to go, you'll only overwhelm yourself and that's when those negative thoughts and *giving up* come back! I know how you feel, I lost 40, gained 20, lost 15, gained 20 again, now I'm trying to lose that damn 20, AGAIN. lol break it up into small steps, which you basically already did in your post! just focus on that first 17 lbs to get back where you started, then break it up into chunks after that! The great news is you've done it once, you know you can do it!!
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    Many, if not most, of us have experienced this same thing. You've done it before, you can do it again - day by day, pound by pound, just as you have accomplished it before.

Try not to be sad - just be determined and hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Just let go of all those number from the past. Focus on what you achieving now and focus on the positive things you are doing. It is so easy to feel guilty about the past but it doesn't get you anywhere.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Hang in there, keep going.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    It is a journey with no finish line. Even when you hit your goal you will still have to stay accountable and still work to keep what you have earned. Don't think about how long it takes to get there bc there is no "there" to get to. Just keep working hard,
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    You can do it, one day at a time. At least you are headed in the right direction.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I'm there too. My old highest weight was 224 and then I lost weight, got down to 180 and then I got lazy gained most of it back and then got down to 190 got lazy again. Gained it all back and then some! Up to 245. I'm now 233 and still working at it. It sucks and I hate that I did this to myself (cuz at 180 I still had lots to lose) but what's the alternative? Stop doing it and gain even more?

Keep at it, it'll get easier and some day you can look back and be like, yeah, I did that!
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    happens to a lot of us. Ive restarted over and over. I lose and then gain it back and the vicious cycle continues. One thing is constant....I never give up. Keep up the good fight. Take it day by day....minute by minute sometimes if you have to. :flowerforyou:
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Don't think about the total you have to lose - focus on something smaller like 10lb.

You can do it.

+1 for small goals
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Losing and regaining is very common and many of us suffer as you are now, we have in the past and many of us will in the future. I do not bash you, I empathize, I send you a hug over the cybernet, I invite you to cry on my shoulder and say, "There, there." And then I try to send the confirming message to you and me that we are willing to keep trying, that we are the better for trying. We continue to try even when we don't really believe in our hearts we will succeed.

Even though we don't know each other and may never cross paths, know that I am with you every step of the way. You and I will get through this by continuing to try.

I joined a bit over a year ago, successfully lost a smallish bundle of weight and spent six months retrieving it. Now, I'm having a devil of a time working it back off again, and most days, I just want to give up -- but giving up won't solve the problem. So, keep up the good fight and so will I!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I know it feels terrible. I lost 40 lbs 4 years ago and then started putting it back on, put 15 back on and was scared I could not control it but found MFP and started logging. One good thing is you are feeling your feelings and not eating them. One day you wont be sad and you will look back and think gosh I don't want to be sad like that and you will be feeling good. I read giving up is believing we can not live another way. we find we can, you can do this. I know I didn't have as much to lose but read the success stories with people weighing much more than you 400 and 500 lbs.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    I never forget when my aunt told me that her doctor said to NOT diet because (not sure if I remember the science behind it correctly) when we lose weight, even eating a balance diet, we tend to lose lean muscle mass. When going back to bad habits, we don't have as much lean muscle mass to keep our metabolism up/burn as many calories, and often we gain fat back in those places we lost lean muscle mass. The more extreme the diet (especially the types that tend to shed a lot of water weight and eventually muscle like starvation diets or extremely low calorie) the easier it is to gain it back and more.

I am definitely one of those! The pendulum always seems to swing more upward than downward. I can remember being estatic to be 30 pounds down a few years ago and I've gained close to 60-70 pounds since then. I could give a lot of excuses (we have life hit us in ways that makes it hard to pick back up), but the key is to find something sustainable that you can keep those pounds off FOREVER, instead of gaining them back and having them invite friends along!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    one day at a time. one pound at a time. one foot in front of the other.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member

You can do it.

+1 for small goals

+2. Thinking about all that will just make you feel overwhelmed. Just do today. Then tomorrow repeat.
  • JoyoftheRedeemed
    JoyoftheRedeemed Posts: 5 Member
    I understand, my story is similar and I restarted yesterday. I'm thrilled to have restarted. Forgetting what's behind, I have to lose 68 pounds to reach my goal of 160 which will be quite nice for my 5'5" at age 66. I do hope you'll cease feeling sad & expecting bashing or bashing yourself. Instead of re-joining WW+ for the sixth time I'm just eating healthier choices (veggies, fish, chicken, whole grains & fruit. Before logging on to myfitnesspal & starting I fasted for 2-days with small amounts of carrot juice or V-8. I wanted to tame the beast within and it helped tremendously. What I'm so thrilled about is today is my 2nd day of water aerobics at our local pool. I go M-W-F and after Monday I was so energized. Weight, age & inactivity has caused pain in both knees. Water is perfect for me. Celebrate getting back onto the pony & don't knock yourself. Be as kind to yourself as you would to another. Best wishes!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Generally i think you feel better once you start on the trail. Then you get into the rhythm of it and stop worrying so much about how far you have to go and all the mistakes you've made in the past. Lets hope you will learn from those past mistakes.

Focus on changing the way you eat forever, and think a little bit about what brought you down last time so that you can prevent those things happening again.

Here's some things i'm doing to counteract past setbacks:
    1. I"m not relying on exercise this time to lose because in the past when i stopped exercising, i seemed to stop everything. Though often the reason for stopping exercise was due to some other negative life event like a change of job, onset of depression and things like that but also sometimes things like a change in the weather, an injury and so on. This time i've lost weight without much exercise at all.

2. My big weakness is sweet food. This is the third time i've gone off eating sweets. And this time its forever. I'm approaching it the way i did with quitting cigarettes somewhat - which was 17 years ago now. My clear but tough rules have helped me get this far and i believe so long as i can stick to them, i will not go back to the beginning again. So far its been over 6 months since i quit sugar this last time - but unlike cigarettes that doesn't mean i can't ever have any )with quitting cigarettes it took me about 6 times before i finally learnt what i needed to do to make it permanent). It just means that i can only have it in proscribed circumstances allowed by my strict and low risk rules.

3. Ongoing emotional issues have brought me down before. So this time, i try to tackle stress sooner and more proactively. When i get really upset, i head to a councillor asap for extra support and problem solving discussion, and usually find relief comes pretty quickly so i don't develop uncontrollable bingy feelings. I know not everyone will recover like this from problems so quickly because i've been working on my skills for a long time. But the thing is the sooner you address problems, the quicker they get resolved and you can get back to being optimistic and happy which is vital for weightloss and management.

Feel free to join us at the 3fc pals group if you like this post.
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    I felt that way at the start of my weight loss too. I had gained weight a couple years ago, lost it, then gained it back plus more. I couldn't believe my old 'fat' weight was now a goal of mine that I had to work toward. It was overwhelming to think about how much I had to lose, but feeling overwhelmed and regretful of what I'd done just kept me sad, fat, and stuck. When I recommitted to losing weight again, I just concentrated on losing the next 5 lb... then the next, etc. I found that helpful and more manageable to think about instead of the total number I had to lose.