Coffee, Coffee, Coffee

Options

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    When I'm teaching, I easily swill 40 oz in the morning. The caffeine isn't enough to keep me awake, so I tend to drink coffee while grading in the evenings as well (up to 8 additional cups). When I had to quit the coffee (because of a pregnancy), I replaced it with hot water, sometimes with a piece of raw ginger and a slice of lemon in it.

Periodically, too, I've tried to wean myself from coffee just for the heck of it, and was most successful when I switched to instant decaf (because, really, what's the point if it's both icky and not caffeinated?)
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    add decaf in the evenings and then drink water too!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Here's a strange question, and maybe not helpful to the poster, but I'm curious! It seems like a LOT of people are trying to break their coffee habits. Is there a particular reason why? Obviously, you can get addicted to the caffeine, but I've been reading a lot of articles lately saying about how there are several health benefits to drinking it. Not to mention, it does rev your metabolism up to lose weight.

I usually drink 2-6 cups of coffee a day, regular. I prefer regular because I know decaf goes through a lot of processing to be decafinated and I don't like the idea of that. I'm not addicted, I can go several days without any coffee and not get a headache. It doesn't really make me gittery either. I go to the bed at my regular time, with or without coffee.

That being said, why quit drinking it? I'm curious!

Shannon
  • gretchenmckay
    gretchenmckay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a huge coffee lover too!! Try crystal light instead after workouts. It tastes great and will help you wean off so much coffee. Good luck!
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Here's a strange question, and maybe not helpful to the poster, but I'm curious! It seems like a LOT of people are trying to break their coffee habits. Is there a particular reason why? Obviously, you can get addicted to the caffeine, but I've been reading a lot of articles lately saying about how there are several health benefits to drinking it. Not to mention, it does rev your metabolism up to lose weight.

I usually drink 2-6 cups of coffee a day, regular. I prefer regular because I know decaf goes through a lot of processing to be decafinated and I don't like the idea of that. I'm not addicted, I can go several days without any coffee and not get a headache. It doesn't really make me gittery either. I go to the bed at my regular time, with or without coffee.

Shannon
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    for me it's not that I want to give up coffee, it's that I need to cut back on the sugar and cream I put in the coffee. Keeping track of calories on this site has really opened up my eyes to how many calories you can drink!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Shannon

I worked for Starbucks for over 10 years and started drinking more coffee AFTER I left. Go figure. Anyway, my doctor has been on me for some time to cut back due to the impact of caffeine on a few, to put it nicely, female issues. I finally decided to do it after the first of the year.

Here is a lilnk to one of the issues that is specific to women: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-cysts/AN00889
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I noticed this too when I got my keurig right before Christmas. I'm not sure how much I was drinking before but now I drink one cup in the morning and one in the afternoon. I enjoy coffee and as long as it is consumed in moderation I think it is ok. I hate hot tea so that's not really an option for me.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Actually, it has been shown that cold water is absorbed by the stomach at a faster rate, and drinking cold water also forces your body to burn a few extra calories in order to heat it up to body temperature. A doctor recently did a diet based completely on cold water and body temperature...pretty interesting!

I was just goin to say the same thing but you beat me to it. Who wants to drink warm water anyways.
    Adding lemon to your water is good or Snapple diet peach is amazing I drink it all day.
    This whole thing went as a quote what the hell oh well
    Alisha
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    If its the energy you need you can try using lipton tea togo energize in a bottle of water... atleast after a workout and I agree try adding decaf to your regular coffee to wean off of some of the caffeine without going through bad withdrawl. Drinking a cup of water per cup of coffee is a good idea too, it will help you to drink less coffee cause you'll be full of water, but be preped for lots of potty visits until your body adjusts lol. Good luck.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    I noticed this too when I got my keurig right before Christmas. I'm not sure how much I was drinking before but now I drink one cup in the morning and one in the afternoon. I enjoy coffee and as long as it is consumed in moderation I think it is ok. I hate hot tea so that's not really an option for me.

Did you register your Keurig, on their website, you can get 4 boxes of coffee, free shipping, for the price of two and you can use that coupon more than once!
  • kbubp
    kbubp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How are you not just completely dehydrated?
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Whoa, 16 cups is a LOT of caffeine. I agree with others that weaning yourself down to a reasonable number is a good goal....even if you do 2/3 caffeine for awhile, then 1/2, then 1/3, that'll help. I don't think you need to get completely off of coffee - just have it in moderation. 1-2 cups in the morning, for example.

I don't drink coffee every day - just at work. On weekends I rarely have coffee, unless I hit starbucks for a treat. On weekdays, I have one cup. I suppose it could be decaf and I woudlnt notice, but I just use what they have. I *used* to put 4 sugars and a ton of half and half in. Until I realized my coffee was like 200 calories! I slowly weaned myself off the sugars and now I just add 1 splenda or 1 regular sugar. And, about 2 ounces of skim milk + 1 tbsp half & half for creaminess.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Shannon

I worked for Starbucks for over 10 years and started drinking more coffee AFTER I left. Go figure. Anyway, my doctor has been on me for some time to cut back due to the impact of caffeine on a few, to put it nicely, female issues. I finally decided to do it after the first of the year.

Here is a lilnk to one of the issues that is specific to women: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-cysts/AN00889

Thanks for the link. I've never heard that coffee can cause these types of issues in women. The question is, does the benefits outweigh the potential risks? I love coffee. It's my beverage of choice, so I don't really see myself giving it up anytime soon.:-D

Shannon
  • Jalfie
    Jalfie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're thinking about this because as you probably know caffeine is seriously messing our bodies up.
    I went cold turkey. I promised myself that I could have a cup of tea or coffee at the end of the day if I wanted one and I just never felt it was worth it. Of course on day 3, I was headachy and wooly headed for the day( I managed to get through my working day though) but on day 4 felt much better and never looked back. The challenge for me once I had made my decision was what to replace it with as I didn't want to carry on with tea due to caffeine and tanning in it. I tried every thing you could think of except soda's as I have never really liked those.
    Now I drink hot water with a slice of fresh lemon, or hot water with chopped fresh ginger, plain water or Hot green tea. I love them all.
    If I want a tall non fat latte occasionally I have one.
  • Stylist4Christ
    Options
    Have you ever tried the flavor packets added to bottled water? That is the only way my Mom gets her water intake in! ,Keep bottled water on stock at home and work along with a few boxes of the crystal lite flavors...they have a strawberry flavor with caffeine, that should help with needing a zing!!
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I did! I didn't know about being able to use the coupon more than once. Thanks for the info, free coffee is always awesome!
  • jalas27
    jalas27 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is suffering from the same issue. She is a caffeine fiend and as a result is suffering from migraines. My guess, as with her, you do it for the energy. I suggested to her a FANTASTIC multi-vitamin that I use and swear by. It's GNC mega-woman vitamin for energy and metabolism. Try it for a week and you will see a healthy energy boost that might help you ween off your coffee habit. No, I don't work for the company, I just really feel a difference, and it looks great on my daily nutrition log! I can honestly say that I had a lapse of using the vitamins and when I did, my weight loss and energy level slowed down. Back on the vitamins and feel great! For the record, I do drink 1 coffee a day first thing in the morning.
  • simplyme40
    Options
    Thanks for all the info... I have cut back to 8 cups (or 1 pot of coffee) a day. I hope to cut back more, but 1 step at a time.
    I wasn't trying to cut coffee out completely. I just hadn't realized how many cups I was drinking in a day and that coffee was the only thing I was drinking. Thanks.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Wow! 16 cups is a lot of coffee. I wish I could help you on the cutting back thing. I drink at least 2 cups a day. I love it and that's just one thing I'm not willing to give up. It gets me going in the morning. :)