Serious Relationship Question

Options
Is it possible to meet someone on here and form a strong relationship with a member of the opposite sex. No, I don't think this is a dating site and no, this is not my first post. This is a second account I made just to ask this question and to hide my true identity. I ask because I think I maybe falling for one of my mfp friends and I think they feel the same.

Replies

• tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Nah
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You have something against meeting someone online. Its 2014. Times changes from traditional dating. Unfortunate for me long distance sucks so hopefully this person lives close to you. Some people do the long distance thing fine. I cannot and will not.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to meet someone on here and form a strong relationship with a member of the opposite sex. No, I don't think this is a dating site and no, this is not my first post. This is a second account I made just to ask this question and to hide my true identity. I ask because I think I maybe falling for one of my mfp friends and I think they feel the same.

Uhhhhhhhhhhmmmmm that's difficult to say? I met my so online, but on a site dedicated to dating. However, on mfp you know you have similar goals and that can draw people together. Have you met in person? Because if not, then I say no. The differences between an online persona and in person are huge, even if you act totally like yourself online. Just because humans are so multi fasceted it's impossible to get a good read on them from online, in my opinion.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    What do you mean "is it possible?"

You think if a bunch of people tell you it's not possible you won't go down the road you are already starting down? You obviously know it's possible and must be looking for some validation.

Just use your brain when doing this.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Fitness only!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    MFP love: "You had me at 'sugar toxins' "
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    You have something against meeting someone online. Its 2014. Times changes from traditional dating. Unfortunate for me long distance sucks so hopefully this person lives close to you. Some people do the long distance thing fine. I cannot and will not.
    agree with all of this, especially the long distance part. been there, done that, no thank you.

OP, keep in mind internet personas differ from real life vastly in many cases. if you do end up pursuing this keep in mind you may end up disappointed
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I send out lots of junk pics but the girls ignore it. I mean, I'm just trying to give them an idea of what I have to offer before we get married.

What am I doing wrong?
  • Lilla35
    Lilla35 Posts: 99
    Options
    The online world is fantasy land...people only show the best of themselves. You need physical contact, face to face, touch, smell, etc. Those elements are so important and obviously not present in the online world. It takes a long time to get to know someone. The quicker to fall in love, the quicker you fall out of it. Love is a slow burn. Good luck.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I think any time you put a bunch of people together (or online) with similar goals, interests and limited supervision, things are bound to get a little crazy
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Your first sentence makes it seem like a platonic interest, then your last one suggests you are looking for romance.

Either way, the answer is yes. And I am a little confused as to why you would even need to ask this.
  • Lilla35
    Lilla35 Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm not sure. I send out lots of junk pics but the girls ignore it. I mean, I'm just trying to give them an idea of what I have to offer before we get married.

What am I doing wrong?

I literally just spit my coffee out...LMAO!!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The online world is fantasy land...people only show the best of themselves. You need physical contact, face to face, touch, smell, etc. Those elements are so important and obviously not present in the online world. It takes a long time to get to know someone. The quicker to fall in love, the quicker you fall out of it. Love is a slow burn. Good luck.

Bull****.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've made real friendships - like we have met and/or spoken off this website. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make a romantic connection. Every situation is different. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Go for it no matter what.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    *Grabs popcorn*

In for the replies.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I know a few couples who met online through AOL (back in the late 90s and early 2000s) and ended up getting married so it's definitely possible. I also know people who thought they were compatible with someone they met online but once they met in person, one moved to be with the other and they tried a "real" relationship it just didn't work. You have to remember that the way someone comes across online is not necessarily a true representation of who they really are. It's very easy to edit your words in an online conversation. Tone and emphasis are muted and perceptions of what is being communicated can be easily skewed. People can also easily mis-represent themselves.

If you want to attempt to move your relationship to the next level my advice would be to move it to the phone and/or video conferencing (Skype, Facetime, etc.) This will give you a better indication of the other person's personality. Remember that while you'll learn more it's still not the whole package. The person could be a slob, have addiction issues, be married, have huge money problems and you'd never know it through a virtual relationship because we can pick and choose what we choose to communicate in that manner. I just saw an article about a woman who was scammed out of $150,000 by a guy she had been "dating" online. It had gone on for awhile and she thought she knew him but it was just a long con. I'm certainly not saying something like that would happen to you but there are those types of people out there preying on the vulnerable and you need to be wary.

Whatever you decide to do, move cautiously and don't overcommit until you get to know this person well in an in-person relationship. Good luck!
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think yeah its possible to get a good friendship going online but I don't think its possible to build a lasting romantic relationship. I've found out through experience that its a lot of smoke and mirrors (and some photoshop) lol

Like others have said; peoples online persona is a lot different than being around them everyday. I'd say if you haven't met in person and no real plans to then no.

Just my 2 cents worth.
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    agree with all of this, especially the long distance part. been there, done that, no thank you.

OP, keep in mind internet personas differ from real life vastly in many cases. if you do end up pursuing this keep in mind you may end up disappointed

Don't entirely agree with that. I'm the same on here as i am in RL. take me as you find me, don't like me phut, I wont lose any sleep over it. Still stand by my first statement. Nah not on here.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I've made real friendships - like we have met and/or spoken off this website. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make a romantic connection. Every situation is different. The worst that can happen is that they say no. Go for it no matter what.

This as I, too, have made a couple of friendships off this site...Just be smart about it OP. Good luck!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    You wont be the first couple to have met on line - or even on MFP. Whether it will work out or not depends on what happens after you meet in person.