A delicate issue....need advice on how to handle

Options
124»

Replies

• elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    one time i saw a body piercer mention that when she does genital piercings, she puts a swipe of vicks vaporub under her nose so she doesnt have to smell strangers junk.
  • mandyosetti
    mandyosetti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There are medications that make you smell when you sweat as well and it has nothing to do with deodorant. Once I was on prednisone and if I sweat in any way at all it made me reek. It wasn't just about my underarms, it came out of all my pores. I'm sure she is aware and is already self conscious about it, I would tread lightly.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe you are complaining about someone stinking during a bootcamp class. If shes not coming to class stinky shes not doing anything abnormal or offensive. If im not stinking after my workout i figure i was half assing it. And i wear the clinical stuff. I agree with whoever said if your that sensitive you probably dont need to be in a group class.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    one time i saw a body piercer mention that when she does genital piercings, she puts a swipe of vicks vaporub under her nose so she doesnt have to smell strangers junk.

Lmao!
    You would think if people knew they were gonna be dangling their junk in someone's face they would at least have the common decency to use a wet wipe...something!!
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    maybe the deodorant she uses is not strong enough and she needs a better one. I used to have the same problem. My deodorant was great....until I started sweating my *kitten* off. Switched to Degree and there are no issues maybe suggest a stronger one for "sports".
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay, If she's not going to take the hint when you wear a gas mask into the next class...I would just buy her some deodorant and tell her they were giving away free samples at the grocery and could she let you know how she likes it.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm the only one who would just come right out and say "please start wearing deoderant or you're going to have to find another workout buddy". *shrug*
    No you're not .. i'd have to tell her..she would be embarrassed for a while but she'd get over it ..if i smelled that bad i would want someone to tell me.
    i had to do it with a work colleague once ..it wasn't easy but afterwards the problem was solved and the situation improved :)
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well if she smells that bad I'm sure she'd want to be told. There's smelling bad, but then there's smelling really bad. I would talk to the instructor and have him/her tell her politely. She needs to know one way or another.
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would bet one million dollars she can smell herself and doesn't need to be told by someone. Especially if she doesn't smell before going into the class. It's been said over and over again, this is not a deodorant fail. It's not just her armpits, it's her body odour during physical activity.

If the OP talks to her about this, she might be embarrassed enough not to come to anymore classes. I'd hate to be the person that made someone, who is trying to improve their health and fitness, stop coming to class. As if it isn't already hard enough for many.

Suck it up.
  • Greenbomb
    Greenbomb Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe you are complaining about someone stinking during a bootcamp class. If shes not coming to class stinky shes not doing anything abnormal or offensive. If im not stinking after my workout i figure i was half assing it. And i wear the clinical stuff. I agree with whoever said if your that sensitive you probably dont need to be in a group class.

I can't believe you took the time to criticize me for complaining. I have smelled normal BO and can handle it...this is not what this is. Your tone certainly is very judgemental considering you know virtually nothing about me.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    LMAO sorry I can't stand B.O.
    Maybe make comments about how someone has terrible B.O. or possibly arrive extremely late like another said before.
  • KristopherK1
    KristopherK1 Posts: 2,888 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned because I didn't read ALL the replied -- but buy here a gift basket with various things, protein bar, deodorant stick and blah blah and welcome her to the group. "A little something to get you started each day" tell her. Then specifically hand her the deodorant and say again "a little something to get you started...each day."
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    There are much worse things in the world that a person can be besides stinky when they work out hard. Please....unbelievable. Suck it up, Cupcake.
    This was really no different from what i said but you didnt take offense to her response and call her out on judging you , or criticizing you. I dont feel that what i said was doing that at all. My point was your in an exercise class, people sweat, people stink some worse than others. Not knowing you or her has no revelance. If she didnt come in there reeking there is not much she can do about her sweat smelling, its not just armpits that sweat. If someone told me i stunk and maybe needed to do something about it after an hour bootcamp class, i would just look at them and walk away.