NSV: I Jogged .25 Mile Without Stopping. Yes, A BIG Deal

Options
wizzybeth
wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
I am obese. I weigh 226 lbs, when my ideal weight range is 114-155. My goal is somewhere between 135-150.

I never liked to run. Even when I was thin - I was never "fit." On mile run day in gym, I would walk it with the "fat girl" (even though I wasn't fat then.) It would usually take me the full class period to do the mile. The gym teacher would be mocking me, but I didn't care. Well now, almost 30 years later I guess the gym teacher has the last laugh - he's still "fit" and now I'm fat. LOL

I've been exercising a lot lately - riding my bike (mountain bike) and doing stuff at the gym, and walking the dog nearly every day. I walk her about 10 miles per week on average.

I've been gradually adding bursts of jogging to my walk with the dog. She's young and can handle it but doesn't like it much, ha ha..she prefers to sniff every leaf and rock...but yesterday I got up to jogging .25 mile non stop without a rest. She tried to stop and sniff but I tugged her along and she came.

I am very proud. I have been on my bike more miles in the past two months than all the miles ridden in my entire life ...and now, I jogged .25 miles.

Yes! I can do this!!!!

Replies

• LynninRI
    LynninRI Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I remember the first time I ran .25 without stopping - I share your pride!!!!! Oh, and my two dogs like to run...but only when they see a squirrell...lol..
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    Way to go!! I recall walking the mile in high school also, even though I was fit and trim. Fast forward almost 20 years and I was 70-80 lbs overweight.

When I decided to start running, I couldn't last for longer than a few minutes in a sustained jog. Now I do runs of 5 miles or more.

Keep at it and you will reach your goals!!
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Woo-Hoo!! ???????????????? Happy Dance!!

What a great accomplishment!! Keep it up!!????
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Keep it up and it will get so much better :)

I can totally relate to your story. In college I weighed 125 pounds. But in our required gym class I could barely get my mile completed in the required 15 minutes. I was so unhealthy and unfit. I started running in April and have now completed a couple of 5ks and a 10k!! It's amazing what you can do when you work your cardiovascular system and build up that endurance.

It takes a whole bunch of small victories to get to that big one and every little one counts just as much as that big one!!
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I remember how excited I was when I ran my first quarter mile last summer. Well done. :)
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I was very excited when I looked and saw I did indeed to .25 mile. :)
  • oystercatcher3944
    Options
    That is awesome - what a great feeling! I did the Couch to 5k program when I started running a few years ago, and I remember feeling basically like an Olympian when I was able to run 30 minutes without stopping. You'll be there in no time at all :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome feeling. Congratulations!!!
  • psrunner
    Options
    Fantastic dude!

About 4 weeks I finished my first mile in about 20 minutes. I work a desk job and have worked desk jobs my a good part of my adult life with exception of when I worked retail for about 3 1/2 years and amusement parks for summer jobs. Before that, I've never had a good run before - even in elementary school. Fast forward to today - my current run time is 11:53 for my mile. When I finished at that time I praised God so many times. Congratulations dude and keep pushing it! Stay in the wind!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You're awesome!!!
  • BlueEyedTXmom
    BlueEyedTXmom Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. It is a big deal for someone who was never a runner. Today it was .25 miles, next it will be maybe .30 and then .35 etc. Before you know it, you'll have hit half mile and beyond. Great job! .
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Do you use target heart-rate to gauge the intensity of your work-out? It can help you exercise at greatest efficiency, without over-training.

This book is old, but so helpful for beginning runners that it's really worth getting a copy:

The Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover and Jack Shepherd

Have you been checked out for health issues that might account for your lifelong difficulty running? I sucked at running as a kid too. Turns out I had asthma that wasn't recognized until I was 20. Get checked out and treated for medical issues that might be getting in your way.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Mostly my problem was being lazy. I ever wanted to do anything by way of physical activity. I didn't care about running or doing anything that would require exertion. I liked to stay behind with the overweight girl in gym - while I wasn't overweight, I was still an outcast socially for other reasons, so it was easy and we had each other, always the last two being picked for teams and stuff, lol.

My parents were not encouraging of much physical activity either, lol... when they got home from work, their main activity was simply sitting down and watching TV. Mom didn't even like the dogs to get excited and run around; she'd always make them "calm down.", lol. I learned that from them. ;)
  • LaurenGetsFit2
    LaurenGetsFit2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Gosh I'm so proud of & happy for you! GO CELEBRATE! :D

It's like our stories are the same, except I'm probably a little younger & I wasn't really overweight, but I was out of shape for all my life & I finally got fed up with it. Last summer, I used C25K to start running for the first time EVER in my life and I haven't looked back since.

You're opening doors and opportunities for yourself you can't even imagine, and if you stick with it, you'll be allowing yourself to live and love in ways you never thought possible! :)
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Good luck with your future goals :)
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful for you! Happy to hear about your progress :happy:

I have always hated running or jogging...and I too, walked the entire mile in elementary and junior high-- I was beyond ecstatic when I didn't have to take ANY physical education classes in high school.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Well done you! I could just about run for a few minutes to the end of my road (about 60 pounds overweight and a smoker). Now I'm an ex-smoker, 30Ibs lighter and ran lots of 10ks and now a couple of half marathons. You'll be amazed what you can achieve and what your body can actually do when you put your mind to it. First stage is realising this - believing it's possible. Second part is of course just getting on with it! Good luck!
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kudos! :)
  • jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    OMG, I am so proud of you!!! I know exactly how you feel and you SHOULD be super proud of yourself. Keep going, girl!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!