NEED a GREAT BOOK, NOW!

Options
13»

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. It is so incredibly poignant, and makes everyone who reads it cry. Extremely well-written and beautiful but sad story.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. Also incredibly well-written, although the story is less sad than frightening, about a distopian future.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My kind of thread, I'm a book reviewer by hobby and have a book blog and all - I get a TON of free books, you can too, check out the website, http://www.dailyfreebooks.com

That being said, do you like Time Travel Books, if so check out the Northwest Passages series (it's 5 books) by John A. Heldt, also check out Out of Time by Monique Martin

Are you into Paranormal/Witchy type books - if so go for the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, start with A Discovery of Witches and go from there I just finished The Book of Life and Oh man it's a great Series!

A good YA author is Heather Hildenbrand, she writes some really good YA Paranormal Books - I've had the pleasure of reading 2 of her books for review, she's a great author, down to earth!

A Great Mystery Novel is always a page turner, check these books out:
    The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh

Never Alone by C.J. Carpenter

The Hanging Judge by Michael Posner

The Last Clinic by Gary Cusick

and my ABSOLUTE favorite was Hidden Agenda by Peter Berman

Another great escape is always Historical Fiction, check these ones out:
    1929 Jonathan's Cross by M.L. Gardner - this is the beginning of a Series to beware you'll get hooked!

Forgeting Tabitha by Julie Dewey

Why Aren't You Sweet Like Me by Carrie Nyman

Lastly the Kingdom Series by Marie Hall takes you on a wild romantic ride through the world of Fairy Tales like you've never seen before, and I'm NOT Talking about Once Upon a Time stuff, more like The Black Dagger Brotherhood series type sex and fantasy stuff! A-MAZING Reads!

I seriously could go on and on, check out my blog for more books I've read & reviewed: ncreadergirl.wordpress.com, and I'm on Goodreads as well!

Happy Reading!
  • Trytara
    Trytara Posts: 1
    Options
    The Husbands Secret by Liane Moriarty...very suspenseful with unexpected twists!!
    Calling me home by Julie Kibler... Thought provoking and moving-thought about this one for days afterward!!

I'm an avid reader and read these books consecutively and now can't find any that compare!!
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. Words cannot express my love for this book.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jennwa
    Jennwa Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Room by Emma Donoghue
    One of the most disturbing and (at the same time) one of the most uplifting books I have ever read. The style of writing is amazing. Once you start it, you will not be able to put it down. Once you finish it, it will stay with you in your thoughts for quite some time. Really a great read.

Agreed!
  • emcgehee1
    emcgehee1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Some recent faves - Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazelle, Night Film by Marisha Pessl, Lexicon by Max Barry, the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness - first one is Discovery of Witches.
  • Pmsylvester
    Pmsylvester Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Kama Sutra
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Somebody said it before, but 'The Book Thief'
    'A Thousand Splendid Suns' is amazing as well, not an easy read because of the topic, but extremely well written.
    I also enjoyed 'The Lady of the Rivers' by Philippa Gregory.
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    The Kite Runner or Thousand Splendid Suns.
    I can't remember which one technically comes first, but they're two of the best books I've ever read (and I'm an avid reader as well). I've never had anyone I've recommended them to not like them and they're beautifully written books.
    Just finished The Kite Runner, great book! Try Jean M Auel - Clan Of The Cave Bear :wink:
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett is hysterical. My go to when depressed.

The Yard, Black Country & The Devil's Workshop by Alex Grecian are mystery reads about the early Scotland Yard.

Space opera = Heris Serrano series by Elizabeth Moon or the Honor Harrington Series by David Weber.

William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor Mystery series

P.D. Ryan's Nell Sweeney Mysteries
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett is hysterical.

:love: :love: :love:
    seconded

any Terry Pratchett. Start with The Colour of Magic. Equal Rites is also hysterical.