Any other hourglass shaped woman?

Options
124»

Replies

• Geloza
    Geloza Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hour glass is the easiest body type to wear almost anything and most women, unfortunately think they have this shape but do not. Like others have said, it's probably that dress and not you. I have an hour glass shape and I'm finding I can now wear almost anything and pull it off since dropping 50 lbs! Good luck, we are the lucky ones. :wink:

Here is a good site I came across.... Also hour glass shape is the shape that most do NOT have so double check your measurements. Hour glass should have hips and bust measuring within an inch or so of each other and waist at least 7-9 inches smaller than that. If you aren't sure, this website is great to help you figure it out and then see what works for that shape. :drinker:

http://www.shopyourshape.com/body-shapes/hourglass-body-shape.html
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for dresses that hide hips seriously try Modcloth Fit and Flare type dresses. And BUMP shape wear. I'm sorry but my hips need to breathe! There's absolutely nothing wrong with having curves and wearing whatever style dress that you love. I'm a true believer that if you have the confidence you can rock anything.
  • eamillie
    eamillie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find that I HAVE to wear fitted dresses - not necessarily pencil skirt or body mod dresses, but I definitely can't do A-line dresses, empire waists (I have huge boobs - it makes me look SO pregnant), and those types. Most of the wedding dresses I'm looking at are sheath style!

ETA: When you try to hide your hips, you make them look bigger IME. You're beautiful AND wearing the "wrong thing" can just make you look wider. Which honestly doesn't look bad, hahaha. :)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I got a dress today and looking at the picture (my profile) I just want to cry. I hate my hips so much, but really there isn't much for me to lose there anymore (maybe one inch each side?)... it's just my genetics.

For other hourglass shapes out there, what kind of dress do you wear that doesn't look too awful?

If you hate your hips, it sounds like you might be a Pear rather than an Hourglass.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hour glass is the easiest body type to wear almost anything and most women, unfortunately think they have this shape but do not. Like others have said, it's probably that dress and not you. I have an hour glass shape and I'm finding I can now wear almost anything and pull it off since dropping 50 lbs! Good luck, we are the lucky ones. :wink:

Here is a good site I came across.... Also hour glass shape is the shape that most do NOT have so double check your measurements. Hour glass should have hips and bust measuring within an inch or so of each other and waist at least 7-9 inches smaller than that. If you aren't sure, this website is great to help you figure it out and then see what works for that shape. :drinker:

This site says straight. Which is arguably worse, lol. But it says I gain fat first in my arms and upper thighs, which isn't true at all.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    I got a dress today and looking at the picture (my profile) I just want to cry. I hate my hips so much, but really there isn't much for me to lose there anymore (maybe one inch each side?)... it's just my genetics.

For other hourglass shapes out there, what kind of dress do you wear that doesn't look too awful?

I love my hourglass figure. Thanks mom. Curves are sexy. The more you lose is the more you will appreciate those hips. By the way you look pretty good to me. Keep at it. Work on toning up. Men like curves not bones.

For me when I go under weight I tend to lose all my downward curved and just have the inverted triangle shape like when I was 84 lbs. but if I'm eating healthily a lot and more active I'm on the very slim side of things like an 18 bmi I get curves on my bottom and top half. My waist has synced in to create a more to hourglass look extreme curves on top and noticeable curves at the bottom. But if I gain more weight then I go back to the inverted triangle shape usually if I've gained I gain due to poor eating habits. And none of the fat goes to my hips. The more weight I lost the more my shoulders stick out the more my hips go away. But when I gain weight I gain on the boobs butt and thighs so I'm definitely always curvier when I'm heavier than when I'm skinny.

Honestly wanted to say most dresses look good on my shape at any size only thing I have to watch out for is wearing a dress that's really small I have a very very body but my shoulders are kind of too big for extra small so I have to slowly get in and out of dresses made for small women because if I don't I might rip it. If it's designed to fit my shape I tend to just fill out the whole dress top to bottom. It's good having curves you can fit more things and still be relatively skinny.
  • Ideal362433
    Options

But can there a bottom heavy hourglass too? Because I know there's a definition of a top hourglass. And I mostly fit it. I dress as a top hourglass and it is helps bring out my figure better than dressing as an inverted triangle because both my bust and hips are above 9 even when I'm heavier. I have tried to look it up but can't find anything on bottom hourglasses but it would make perfect sense that they existed since there is such a thing as a top hourglass.

Also most body shape calculators say my dimensions are hourglass and I have a 3 inch difference between bust and hips.

But I agree being an hourglass is easy to fit things but for me it's as long it's fitting and showing off the waist line since my bottom curves are more like a near hourglass than a full one. But overall it is an easy shape to fit clothing in.

http://www.shopyourshape.com/body-shapes/tophourglass-body-shape.html
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    I find that I HAVE to wear fitted dresses - not necessarily pencil skirt or body mod dresses, but I definitely can't do A-line dresses, empire waists (I have huge boobs - it makes me look SO pregnant), and those types. Most of the wedding dresses I'm looking at are sheath style!

ETA: When you try to hide your hips, you make them look bigger IME. You're beautiful AND wearing the "wrong thing" can just make you look wider. Which honestly doesn't look bad, hahaha. :)

Me too empire waist is just another flows shirt those make me look more boxy because it's not showing how small my waist really is.

I don't get this can help anyone figure unless they really have a fat stomach.
  • Ideal362433
    Options

If you hate your hips, it sounds like you might be a Pear rather than an Hourglass.

That's what I was thinking
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hips, booty and big boobs here and I've learned to embrace the curve! I find that I really love ModCloth like some others. You can never go wrong with an a line, but I'm into 40's and 50's fashion and slimmer lines. Flaunt your curves! My style icon in Christina Hendricks...show them off!
  • Ideal362433
    Options

This site says straight. Which is arguably worse, lol. But it says I gain fat first in my arms and upper thighs, which isn't true at all.

The site really correct to me it picked out that I was top hourglass instead of inverted triangle. But top hourglass and inverted triangle are similar in the same ways hourglass and rectangle are the same only difference is waist definition. So it's easy for the calculator to confuse your shape for rectangle you're an hourglass and vice verse. I still get calculators who would say I'm an inverted triangle while most would say in the hourglass range because the definition can vary.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    Hips, booty and big boobs here and I've learned to embrace the curve! I find that I really love ModCloth like some others. You can never go wrong with an a line, but I'm into 40's and 50's fashion and slimmer lines. Flaunt your curves! My style icon in Christina Hendricks...show them off!

My celebs I tend to look at due to body shape is Jessica biel or Cheryl cole. But kim kardashian or Katy perry due to bust size similarity.

But I don't really get why one wouldn't embrace the curves to me it's apart of embracing being a woman.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Wrap dresses work well. You want something that cinches at the waist and is fairly fitted through the hips and rear. Pencil skirts work well, as do fitted hourglass shaped dresses (think Joan on Mad Men). Calvin Klein has great ones that you can get at TJ Maxx (or similar stores like Stein Mart, Marhalls, etc.) for $49. If you wear something that's straight (like what you have in your pic), you'll look lumpy. If you wear A-Line that flairs over the hips, you'll look like a beach ball--huge! You can wear a loose skirt so long as it's fitted down through a slightly dropped waist (so you can still see your waistline and your shape). Trust me, I would love to wear a straight sheeth dress (a la mod style) or flowy clothes, but fitted works best (learned through trial and error).