New puppy.....Help!

2»

Replies

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Hi, my name is Ralphie and I am 8 months old. This is all great advice these humans are giving you. Remember that when you go to puppy training, the trainers are training YOU to relate to me in the best ways possible. I love you every time I see you and I want to please you so love me back by getting training to relate to me in terms I understand.

Yip!

Lol. I love this.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    training my dog I just took him out and gave praise while saying potty over n over while he did it outside..

This is a good point. My dog knows the command "go pee" and she'll pee when we tell her to.

My dog knows "go pee" also, though, I usually only have to use it when its raining. She hates the rain.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    No, you don't swat them or rub their noses in it. They are babies who don't know better.

Crate training is the best way to housetrain a puppy. When you can't have your eyes directly on the puppy, he goes in the crate. The crate should not be huge, or else he'll start going potty in it. Puppies need to go out to potty immediately after eating, waking up and playing. They can generally hold it for 1 hour per month of age, plus one. So an 8 week old puppy can go a max of 3 hours between potty breaks. At first, you'll need to get up during the night to get him out a couple of times, though within a month or so, he'll probably be able to make it overnight.

I read that this breed doesn't do well in a crate or confined space??
    But your suggestion does make sense.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a crate, but they generally won't go where they sleep and eat unless they really can't hold it any longer. Start with a small space for them and gradually grow their area to roam as they mature. This with the other advise given above and the rest will come naturally.

I agree. Also, feed him in his crate for this very reason. They don't like to eliminate where they eat and sleep. Plus it makes them look forward to going into the crate (or whatever area you have set up for them).
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Thanks everyone!!
    You guys and gals are great!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Oh lord....I would NOT by any means recommend swatting!!!!!! I have learned from my own experience as I once too thought this was "how to potty train". When my pup would tinkle, I would give him a LIGHT swat and put him in the back yard....what did that do? Caused him to pee even more because now he was afraid and being submissive! He then had a big problem with submissive wetting. From then on he never received any type of swat/nose rubbing/yelling/etc. When he would tinkle/poo all I would do is say his name firmly and tell him to go to bed (the crate). No yelling. No swatting. When he used the bathroom outside, I would shower him with praise and a treat sometimes, he was just so happy to see he did something good. He got potty trained and no longer has a submissive wetting issue, I think a gentle approach is key!
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    We've had a puppy and rescue adult dog. Like most above praise when they do it right. First thing in the morning last thing at night etc etc. (if you catch them in the act get them outside as soon as possible) :laugh: plenty of wipes. I would recommend sprinkling washing powered on and accidents - makes it a bit easier to clean, then a good spray with disinfectant - if they can't smell the pervious site they are less likely to do back to it. If you have a frequent accident sites I find a good sprinkle of black pepper (on the site not the dog !) a good deterrent