I want fast food!! :-(

Options

Replies

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat more or less. I still eat fast food, but have had to restrict.

I find that once you get used to eating fast food a lot less, you will miss it less over time. But it is going to take 2-3 months of that new habit before you aren't as hungry for it. I think the flavor, and the sudden influx of protein & fat is what stimulates the physiological desire for eating that stuff all the time. That can be broken but you will have to suffer a little bit getting used to not having it nearly as much. Make it a treat every other week or so and watch the total calories. As with everything, YMMV.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. I do not crave it near as often as I used to. How about I tell you what I heard on the radio today? Burger King has sent out a statement to confirm that they do in fact use horse meat in their burgers in the UK. They said only in the UK but you do have to wonder. Gross! I used to love Burger King too. I would stop and get a double cheeseburger and fries after classes...yum!

But yes the cravings do subside. Now if I get a craving for it I go get it. I do however do not get a double cheeseburger or a large fry anymore. I get a single and a small fry.

Why is horse meat any grosser than cow or chicken?

Because we look at horses as pets and intelligent creatures, and cows and chickens are just dumb meat.
    Gotta love the double standard. :laugh:
    But if it tastes good and is sanitary, does it really matter?

It doesn't really taste good. It's oily and gamey and gross. I ate it on the reservation when it was served to me; never again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Make it at home! Seriously. Cut some potatoes, toss them with a teaspoon or two of olive oil and bake. It's delicious. And buy your own burger meat (I just use 95% lean), buns, cheese, and make it at home. It will be healthier, tastier, and more filling.

I was craving a cheeseburger not too long ago and got one at Wendy's, and I ended up disappointed... it wasn't worth the calories compared to what I make at home.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    like most people said, get fast food!!!
    If I know I am craving fast food I will eat super healthy for breakfast/lunch and set aside the calories for the fast food. Also if you get a small fries and a burger/nuggets and drink a glass of water or something before you eat it's still surprisingly filling after it's gone.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    14v39ld.jpg
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You don't want fast food. You want fat, salt, and high fructose corn syrup because that's what your body and mind are used to.

I'm going to go against the many posts saying it's ok. It's NOT ok. That's enabling. The only way to get off fast food is to stop eating it. If you're craving those sensations, then follow what another poster said and make it yourself. You can make a burger healthier than what you'll get by going through the drive through. Wrap the burger in lettuce instead of a bun. Experiment but break the habit of thinking "it's ok just this once to have fast food". Your mind wants fast food because you're mind isn't satiated with the food you're eating now. Add a little extra olive oil to your salad, dash a little extra sea salt on your veggies but break the need for fast food.

I think it's dangerous advice to tell someone who's starting out on a road to wellness to work fast food into their daily calorie count. This is more than just calories. It's about bettering one's overall health.

But heck, if that doesn't work, just YouTube "pink slime" or "Jamie Oliver McDonalds" or watch any of the 100 food documentary's on Netflix.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Just make it fit your calories for the day. All you need for weight loss is to burn more than you eat.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You don't want fast food. You want fat, salt, and high fructose corn syrup because that's what your body and mind are used to.

I'm going to go against the many posts saying it's ok. It's NOT ok. That's enabling. The only way to get off fast food is to stop eating it. If you're craving those sensations, then follow what another poster said and make it yourself. You can make a burger healthier than what you'll get by going through the drive through. Wrap the burger in lettuce instead of a bun. Experiment but break the habit of thinking "it's ok just this once to have fast food". Your mind wants fast food because you're mind isn't satiated with the food you're eating now. Add a little extra olive oil to your salad, dash a little extra sea salt on your veggies but break the need for fast food.

I think it's dangerous advice to tell someone who's starting out on a road to wellness to work fast food into their daily calorie count. This is more than just calories. It's about bettering one's overall health.

But heck, if that doesn't work, just YouTube "pink slime" or "Jamie Oliver McDonalds" or watch any of the 100 food documentary's on Netflix.

No dangerous advice is to telling someone struggling in the first week, that they need to continue restrict so they get frustrated and quit.

I still eat fast food, my health has improved incredibly. Fast food has protein, fat, and carbs it's food. Just because you feel for the scare mongering doesn't mean everyone has to. You can work fast food, eating out, whatever into a very well balanced healthy day.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Is part of your problem that you ate too much fast food?

If so, thinking about 'cutting it out completely' could be what's causing the cravings. If you used to eat it regularly, and realized that you 'can't' eat it now (eliminate can't, really!) that would make you want to eat it!

Instead, be knowledgeable about what you're ordering. Many websites have nutritional info listed online. Others have them right in the restaurant (Wendy's and Subway often do, McDonald's has cal counts in small print next to each menu item, etc).

Another thing is, if you are 'addicted' to it (I hesitate to use that word, but at times for me it felt appropriate) then I do recommend finding alternatives sometimes. A nice, juicy homemade cheeseburger always satisfies me the same way.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

No dangerous advice is to telling someone struggling in the first week, that they need to continue restrict so they get frustrated and quit.

I still eat fast food, my health has improved incredibly. Fast food has protein, fat, and carbs it's food. Just because you feel for the scare mongering doesn't mean everyone has to. You can work fast food, eating out, whatever into a very well balanced healthy day.

It's a good thing I never said to restrict calories. :) I just said to not eat fast food. Big difference. If you notice I even said to add extra oil, salt, or make burgers at home.
  • THRIVEALLIN
    Options
    I suggest looking into Thrive. It has helped me completely cut out all fast food. All caffeine and sugar too except I still get cravings for Ice cream, but I can eat only so much now. Check out www.cobywhite.Le-Vel.com
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

It's a good thing I never said to restrict calories. :) I just said to not eat fast food. Big difference. If you notice I even said to add extra oil, salt, or make burgers at home.

I said restrict in general. Didn't specify calories, telling someone you can't do something, or have something typically makes them want it that much more. If you had told me I couldn't ever eat fat food again, I wouldn't have made it past the first month. Because you just made it more difficult.

There's no reason and as many people have already posted here have been very successful getting healthier, losing weight and eating at McDonalds or whatever other place you want.

When I'm making a change in almost anything, I decide is this something I can do long term, if it's not then I question why I am making that change.

But learning to have a good relationship with food, understanding its neither good or bad, it's just food, and if I want it I make it fit into my day, or I go over my calories for a day. The world isn't going to end, my weight loss isn't going to immediately stop, or whatever other fear tactic you would like to state.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I suggest looking into Thrive. It has helped me completely cut out all fast food. All caffeine and sugar too except I still get cravings for Ice cream, but I can eat only so much now. Check out www.cobywhite.Le-Vel.com

Stop selling your crap! Reported
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    ok so probably repeating others but here goes in the early days you will have cravings and its up to you to balance things out until your body settles firstly you will never see this through if you completely give up junk food you enjoy it is possible to eat your favourite junk foods you just need to log correctly and stick within you calorie count also its about portion control instead of a large have a medium or small for you to lose weight its about learning not to deprive yourself but to just cut back

secondly fake aways can be great i love love love curry so i cook it at home instead far more control over kcals havent mastered chinese but again look up recipes with burgers make your own then the salt content and the way they are cooked is all on you

you dont have to stop enjoying food just take control and dont deprive otherwise you wont be here in a month just get creative in your kitchen and cut down on portions
  • THRIVEALLIN
    Options
    Its not crap!!!! It helps so many people. I'm just sharing thank you.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Its not crap!!!! It helps so many people. I'm just sharing thank you.

You are selling unnecessary crap, and that is a violation of TOS
  • THRIVEALLIN
    Options
    Really not trying to sell...I was put in the hospital early June for 8 days due to several things.. I was introduced to Thirve and it has changed my life. I want everyone to experience what I have, and guess what they have....it works and its all natural So if it can help one person on here then so be it. If you don't care then so be it
  • Reggiefinleysr
    Reggiefinleysr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat whatever I want. Like was said earlier, just don't go overboard. A general rule I go by is that 3 days of cheating can add a pound. So I try to be very careful. And by cheating I mean, going 1000 calories or more over my diet without exercise (raising heart rate above normal for 20 minutes or more for 3 days in a row). This can vary per person but it works for me. Just watch out for the sodium intake. :-)
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Telling people to completely cut out the foods they most enjoy is a sure way to set them up for failure. Overly restrictive diets is the #1 reason why most people fail at losing weight, or lose the weight then end up rebounding.

Go hang around the getting started or introduction section for a few days. You will find no shortage of people who are back to square one or worse because of this very reason.

OMG i wuz duing so gud I lost 12 lbs in a week eating n0 carbz!! but den i was craving and binged a few dayz nd ga1ned back 15 wat d0 :(

or

OMG i lose 30lbs eatin only chickenzzz and lett0ce but den it suxz0red so i quitnd gaind it all back in a few weeks wat d0 :(

That is why 95% of diets fail.
  • formylover
    formylover Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i found the solution few month ago when i carved macdonal's like crazy.
    Buy :
    whole wheat burger bun
    5%fat steaks
    Cheddar cheese
    Mayonnaise, prickels, mustard. cayenne piment

Cut the prickel very small pieces ( about 2 pickels per humberger) add 3 tsp mayo 1/2 tsp mustard; a bit of cayenne piment.

Enjoy ^^ it stopped my carving for burgers since then. it my weeks indulgence ^^ better than macdonad's^^ ( and i was a big mac fanatic back then)