Dr's Fat Shaming Caused Emotional Eating

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm twice the cat!

(Albert became a foster cat in rescue at 30 pounds. He's slimmed to 28 in eight weeks.)

What a cutie!!!!

I just don't know how I would even go about getting her down any. We play fetch and catch with her every day and she runs around like crazy. It takes her 2-3 days to eat a cup of food. She's just big boned! :wink:
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    My cat (one of my cats) is a Maine Coon. He stands, at the shoulder, taller than my knee (I am 5'7) and weighs in at 25 pounds! He looks like a bobcat coming at you, but probably gets tired of everyone shrieking, "Oh my God, that is the biggest cat I have ever seen!" Poor thing probably has a complex!
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cat, but I have 3 big, fat dogs!! We like food around here! :) St. Bernard/beagle is around 100 lbs, Golden/Sheltie is 80 lbs, husky/lab is 88+ lbs. That's alotta lbs of dog ......
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Does she even lift? :laugh:
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, someone with both a cat and a fitbit has got to stick the fitbit on the cat's collar for a day and share the results! :laugh:

Steps taken 7AM-11PM: 19
    Calories burned: 2
    Steps taken 11PM-7AM: 2349875298
    Calories burned: JESUS CHRIST, THERE'S A MOTH IN THE HOUSE. DON'T WORRY, I GOT THIS!

Written by a true cat owner! LOL

Yeah, we've had ours for 15 years. He was a stray that they figured at about a year or so old when we got him. He was a skinny orange cat, who ballooned out to 18, and then 26 lbs at his heaviest. We got him back down to 16 or so, and that's where he's stayed, more or less.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Our cats eat like it's their last meal but only get fat in the winter, they're wired all day and all night except for 2 hours naps. The 2 litters of kittens we had this spring really rejuvenated even the elderly cats for some reason. If ours are obese it's because the neighbor sets up food for them in his garage for when they go past lol. Our dark grey cat, who looks like the OP's, is the fat one. she eats here 4x a day and lives over in his garage the rest of the time.
  • fryebootgirl
    fryebootgirl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, someone with both a cat and a fitbit has got to stick the fitbit on the cat's collar for a day and share the results! :laugh:

This! :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    1386612233509.gif
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Does this count?

Yes!

See, totally in the healthy cat BMI range. Perhaps you should have mentioned to the doctor that she exercises frequently by slaying monsters.

Cat BMI = box mass index?
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Does this count?

Yes!

See, totally in the healthy cat BMI range. Perhaps you should have mentioned to the doctor that she exercises frequently by slaying monsters.

Cat BMI = box mass index?

See, that could work because even big cats love boxes!!

th?&id=HN.608032941180653152&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    That's the secret to catching a cat; just set out a box or piece of cardboard, they can't resist. They're like little kids in that you buy them tons of toys and they'd rather play with the box.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Clearly that doctor is untrained. Kitty weight and height is determined by box-fit. Your cat is in the medium sized priority mail box range. Totally acceptable.

If_It_Fits_I_Sits1.jpg

:laugh:

but seriously though, cats also get diabetes. my last cat had it, she was overweight when diagnosed and i was feeding her the wrong food. i ended up changing her diet to primarily wet food that was 100% protein as well as helping her lose a few lbs.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    she looks very overweight as in unhealthy :brokenheart: When dogs and cats become overweight it can make an extreme difference in the longevity of the animal and health issues that can crop up. You most definitely don't want your cat to get diabetes, giving shots everyday, the costs... yikes! My Sister has 2 cats from the same litter they are both diabetic, one is normal weight now one is still larger like your grey kitty. It's such hard work for her to take care of them and the cats can't be having much fun either.

It's not like if a person gains a couple lbs., small animals aren't comparable to humans.

Iams has weigh loss Cat foods and get a game of tag going with your cat, good for you both. My cat and I play tag all the time and it's fun for us both and she's really slimmed down from when I first got her.:drinker:
  • Raynne413
    Options
    For those that are concerned, she is only 13 lbs and is a little over 3 years old. The doctor says that she just doesn't need to get any bigger, and I feed her Science Diet Naturals Indoor Cat, Grain Free, no fillers. Her food is pretty top of the line. She plays constantly (by herself with her toys, and she plays catch and fetch with me, and also dashes out to attack when I pass by), and is perfectly healthy.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Yeah, she is definitely overweight. I have a Rag doll and they are naturally large cats and I assure you my baby is smaller than yours (although he's mostly fur). You can see that your cat has lots of adipose on either side of her. It's not healthy and as others have mentioned, it puts her at a higher risk of diabetes, even cancer.

How many times a day do you feed her? Does she have access to food 24/7 (i.e. leave her bowl full of food all day long)?
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Yeah, she is definitely overweight. I have a Rag doll and they are naturally large cats and I assure you my baby is smaller than yours (although he's mostly fur). You can see that your cat has lots of adipose on either side of her. It's not healthy and as others have mentioned, it puts her at a higher risk of diabetes, even cancer.

How many times a day do you feed her? Does she have access to food 24/7 (i.e. leave her bowl full of food all day long)?

The fur on her tummy is very long and fluffy. I put down a little less than a cup of food in her bowl and it stays in her bowl until she eats all of it, which usually takes her 2-3 days.

And for those that didn't get the humor, I chose the chubbiest looking picture of her I could find, on purpose.:smile:
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options

The fur on her tummy is very long and fluffy. I put down a little less than a cup of food in her bowl and it stays in her bowl until she eats all of it, which usually takes her 2-3 days.

And for those that didn't get the humor, I chose the chubbiest looking picture of her I could find, on purpose.:smile:

I'd better not post any pictures of our guinea pigs!
  • Raynne413
    Options

I'd better not post any pictures of our guinea pigs!

Awwww!!! I love guinea pigs! :love:
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    So does this mean you aren't going to feed her cheap shrimp?