Depressed about my body

Options
Just been to the gym and I took a photo afterwards.
<---This is said photo. It's properly put me on a downer. Why won't my muscles grow like the other guys on here?

Replies

• AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I feel the same, but a good friend gave me the following advice:

Its your body not theirs, you have no idea what they do each day, they might be spending 12 hours a day in the gym or been training for 5+ years.
    Just be happy with what you have and what you are gaining.

A year ago, you would have looked at people with your current body shape and wondered why you can't look like that
  • arnostbilej
    Options
    Troll much?
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Troll much?

No. Just devoid of any self-esteem and completely disillusioned. Thanks for your help, though.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you are most likely not in enough surplus, basic rule of thumb is a 500 calorie surplus, I seriously doubt your maintenance intake is 1800-1900 calories. I would also drop your protein to 0.8 to 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, 260 grams would sustain Jay Cutler, you would be more than fine at 200 grams, your fats are fine, the rest would be carbohydrates. You cannot grow without a surplus of calories, and trying to lean bulk at just above maintenance takes the knowledge of a mad scientist as you could very well over exert yourself and end up in a deficit.

Make sure you track your progression or total volume (weightxrepsxsets) and be sure to increase it over time, working to failure is not always the key as you will decrease the total volume by falling short on remaining sets, save working to failure for your last set or two of an exercise to keep your volume at its highest.

But you look like you are coming along just fine, keep up the good work.
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You're looking pretty good to me :flowerforyou:
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    It takes time and patience to eventually get there.
    No one ever got to the physique they have without time and efforts.
    Eat big - train big and make sure you give 110% in the weight area - all the good stuff will eventually show up!
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you are most likely not in enough surplus, basic rule of thumb is a 500 calorie surplus, I seriously doubt your maintenance intake is 1800-1900 calories. I would also drop your protein to 0.8 to 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, 260 grams would sustain Jay Cutler, you would be more than fine at 200 grams, your fats are fine, the rest would be carbohydrates. You cannot grow without a surplus of calories, and trying to lean bulk at just above maintenance takes the knowledge of a mad scientist as you could very well over exert yourself and end up in a deficit.

Make sure you track your progression or total volume (weightxrepsxsets) and be sure to increase it over time, working to failure is not always the key as you will decrease the total volume by falling short on remaining sets, save working to failure for your last set or two of an exercise to keep your volume at its highest.

Thank you. Appreciated.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When you say "other guys" who are you talking about? Like ifbb pro bodybuilders, guys at your gym, people here on mfp?
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but does it get harder with age?
    Regardless, you look fantastic, I think, and if you're working hard you'll get where you need to go.
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    Troll much?

No. Just devoid of any self-esteem and completely disillusioned. Thanks for your help, though.

Aw :( *hugs*
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Dude, your physique is way above average in terms of attractiveness and fitness as compared to the world's average 40 year old.

So what's the problem?

And what the hell is going on here with the threads tonight?

A 39 year old is worried about his girly friend shunning his moobs (which appear to be non existent in his photo) and a 40 year old is depressed about not looking like Jean Claude Van Damme circa 1985.

Its the pull of the Super Moon tonight. It must be messing with our minds. :wink: :laugh:
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I think you look terrific. You have made great progress and your work and dedication has paid off. But, truth be told, I do not think your most recent picture is your best, but that is due simply to poor posture and a bad camera angle (also, not loving the beard, but it is for a good cause). I know it can be hard not to compare ourselves with younger, fitter people...especially at the gym...but really, you are in great shape for a man of any age (of course I think of 40 as quite young, since I am five years your senior).
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    that is easy to answer: because you aren't the "other guys" You are you. Looks good to me.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    you are looking good! And I agree, this photo was not the best out of all of them ( I peeked). You definitely got some muscles and your hard work is obvious.
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    This trip that we're on is a real learning experience, that is inevitably saturated with disappointment.

Effort over time is one part of it, however learning about chemical compositions of food and various minutia that overtly and covertly effect the results that we have is at least half of it.

Be patient, keep at it you'll be there one day.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Think you are looking great. Keep up the hard work.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    Thanks folks, and many apologies. This thread has spelled it out to me that mentally and physically I'm poles apart. I'm desperate to get a good body because I can't do anything about my face and I just want to have SOMETHING about me that could one day be considered attractive and therefore finally be able to be comfortable in my own skin instead of ashamed of it.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    When you say "other guys" who are you talking about? Like ifbb pro bodybuilders, guys at your gym, people here on mfp?

The other guys on here with the ripped profile pics.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with the way you look.
  • Rocket_Man44
    Options

THIS!! Couldn't sum it up better myself.