No Thyroid

Options
13»

Replies

• tynaday
    tynaday Posts: 1
    Options
    I had ablation 10 years ago. My thyroid "stormed" so I was either lethargic or climbing the walls. It was making me crazy so I had ablation. I take synthyroid everyday, faithfully!! The problem I have is my weight and medicine are directly connected. I lose weight, my medicine gets decreased which makes me gain weight. It's made me NUTS!!! How do you stop this crazy cycle or am I the only person that weight/meds are so tightly connected?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The problem I have is my weight and medicine are directly connected. I lose weight, my medicine gets decreased which makes me gain weight. It's made me NUTS!!! How do you stop this crazy cycle or am I the only person that weight/meds are so tightly connected?
    Correlation is not causation. Synthroid & Cytomel make me less fatigued, so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in the Sexypants post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • condraallred
    Options
    I too have no thyroid...prior to being diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I had lost 90 pounds by eating right and workout daily...I even teach at my workout place now...since having the thyroid out, I have steadily gained 20 pounds back in 18 months...I am very frustrated...anyone losing weight after this, what has your biggest change been in diet? I am very frustrated and have tried a couple different things....I have gotten rid of bad carbs....
  • pitchf0rk
    pitchf0rk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed graves' disease 3 months ago. I never even thought about my thyroid and how much it can influence every part of your body.
    After 2 weeks of ravenous appetite for everything sweet and greasy (and also eating only those things) and loosing weight while doing so, I got my medication.
    Meanwhile my pulse is back to normal and I'm not losing weight anymore. But my bad eating habits are still there. Maybe some of the habits still come from appetite due to my disease, but I guess most of it is just bad Routine now. As my metabolism seems to be back to normal I definitely need to change my eating Habits back to how they were before my disease.

Before everything started I was actually on a really good weight loss path. I ate pretty healthy and did a lot of sports. I even started strength Training for the first time in my life and was stronger than ever. I didnt reach my weight loss goals, but I already made half of the way. Now I'm back to where I started and I'm a bit frustrated.
    Now I'm not allowed (and also not able) to do a lot of sports. So instead of the workout schedule I initially wanted to start in September (Zumba, Pole Dance, Body Burn and 2x strength Training per week) I will have to Change it to yoga, pilates and easy peasy strength Training.

I know it's gonna be more difficult to lose weight than it was before, but I want to get back on track. I want to do as much sports as I'm capable of and I want to eat healthy again.

I also know that most of you have a hypothyroid or no thyroid, but it still would be great to have some friends who understand how much the thyroid can affect your body and metabolism. So if you want to go all the way to a better Lifestyle and losing weight together with me, please add me.