Will diet pills help?

Options
13»

Replies

• mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed for me phentermine. It worked. HOWEVER-I am over 100 pounds overweight, which was accelerating the development of "metabolic syndrome." I was on the medication for a short period of time ~2 months. This gave me support to get up, and the full feeling I needed to help re-form good eating habits. Like I said, IT WORKED: as support as I started an exercise regimen and worked on better eating habits. I knew those two things were what would have to happen for me to be successful. Be wary of diet pills. Even if they do work, its only short term unless you make the lifestyle changes necessary for success.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed for me phentermine. It worked. HOWEVER-I am over 100 pounds overweight, which was accelerating the development of "metabolic syndrome." I was on the medication for a short period of time ~2 months. This gave me support to get up, and the full feeling I needed to help re-form good eating habits. Like I said, IT WORKED: as support as I started an exercise regimen and worked on better eating habits. I knew those two things were what would have to happen for me to be successful. Be wary of diet pills. Even if they do work, its only short term unless you make the lifestyle changes necessary for success.
    You list weight due to the calorie deficit not the pills. I have no doubt that any of us can lose weight without pills.
  • mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You list weight due to the calorie deficit not the pills. I have no doubt that any of us can lose weight without pills.

Correct. The pills didn't make the fat magically melt off. They suppressed my appetite. This made it easier to establish good eating habits. They also gave me the energy to begin an exercise program. Keep in mind though, I wasn't just trying a stubborn 10-20 pounds. I'm 5'0 and weighted over 250. And I was also under a doctor's care. My general point being, there is no knee-jerk "yes" or "no" to this question. Perhaps even the placebo affect of these potions are enough to help someone.
  • lastfarewell
    lastfarewell Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I will ad my "nope!" to the chorus. You can also do something more productive with the time you spend reading that junk. Stick to the basics!