Any horse people on here?

Options
2»

Replies

• CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Me, me, me! I was born and raised on a farm, owned 4 horses and cared for over 20 at a local stable, and volunteered as a helper/staff worker at horse summer camps for disabled children and teens every summer for years :smile:
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm a fellow rider as well.
    I started riding when I was around 13 years old and owned a couple of horses up until my early college years. I took several years off (which is when I started gaining weight, go figure) and a few years back I purchased an unregistered Quarter Horse named Benny. I haven't ridden him much and I think it mostly is because I feel like I am too heavy to ride.
    I competed in Dressage around the Chicago area throughout high school and early college years. I eventually got married and kind of fell out of it. One of my plans though is to start taking riding lessons again once I lose some more weight. I really really miss it! My QH is actually about 900 miles away from me right now. I lived in Texas until May 2010 and then moved back to Illinois. I am still looking for a decent place to board him here that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. My sister is taking care of him, so I don't feel too horrible about leaving him there.
    I have always been interested in Eventing and am thinking about getting into that when I start my lessons up again. I would have to do it behind my husband's back though because he absolutely does not want me to do that! I'm still deciding and might just stick with the dressage. I really wish my trainer was still doing lessons because I would go right back to her!

Glad to see some other "horsey" people on here
    :-)
  • Dittomom
    Dittomom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It is so good to have other horse people on here. I don't think you have to be a rider to enjoy horses. There is always ground work and just owning and taking care of one is a joy. Look at all the people who have minis and don't ride. I think mini donkeys are just adorable! I want one!!!

So what ways do you think you could use your love of horses to motivate you to a healthier lifestyle? I think losing weight so you can ride better will be at the top of the list. I too want to be able to get on my horse from the ground. Getting closer but not graceful. I want to be healthy enough to ride later on in life. I really want to take care of myself in order to do that. How about you all?
  • rainbow118
    rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a horse person. I have 3 horses. My mare shadow is a 21yr arab/qh mare, she is retired due to health issues. My mare tierra is a 18yr arab/appy mare, shes pretty much a pasture pet unless someone wants to ride with me. I dont like riding her and she is like a tooth pick and we just dont get along good. Then their is my awesome boy, belushi is a 9yr appendix qh gelding. I pretty much only trail ride, i love to just get out and go. I'm am hopefully going to stick to this diet. I've slowly started exercising and starting tomorrow i am going to be watching what i eat and drink. I currently weight 244lbs :( I'd love to be down to 200 by july. Its hopefully a realistic goal that i can reach. I want to eventually get down to 160lbs or less depends on how i look :), i dont want to be super thin but not fat, i'd be happy at around a size 10/12.. That and i know my horse would love me alot more if i lost the extra weight.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    How are all those ponies enjoying the snowy, cold, winter days?
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options

hehe its summer here in Aus :tongue: my pony has never seen snow.. i think he would have a heart attack! :bigsmile:
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options

hehe its summer here in Aus :tongue: my pony has never seen snow.. i think he would have a heart attack! :bigsmile:

Any problems where you're at with the flooding?
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    No I'm the other side of the country to the flooding..although we have flooding north of us. We just have problems with bush fires at the moment. no enough rain this winter has left everything very dry :grumble:
  • Dittomom
    Dittomom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My horses are enjoying the cold weather. They got a little tired of the snow I think. I'm not enjoying the colder weather at all and having trouble staying motivated. I know spring is right around the corner and I need to be in better condition to get out and work and ride more. I've become a couch potato over the winter.

We traveled out of town for a seminar for a couple of days and although I packed lots of fruit and other healthy things to eat, I gained 4 pounds. Ugh! We ate out a lot while traveling. I tried to be good but I'm like a crack addict when it comes to good food. I've gotten two of those pounds back off but if I'm going to get to go to the bed and barn this spring, I really need to get on it.

The mud is starting to dry up and I might actually get to ride this evening. That will definitely help.
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm a horse person!

I've been riding for 13 years now, and have 2 Morgans that I ride/train (and like to pretend that I own, even though that isn't actually the truth at all haha). One of them is a 6 year old stallion that I do saddleseat and driving with, and the other is a 5 year old gelding who does hunter/jumper.

I'd love to do some kind of horse challenge if anyone can think of a good one!
  • MontanaRobin
    Options
    Well for the first time in my life I don't own any horses!! I am 39 and have never been without a horse or 3 or 11..lol! Four month ago we moved from Minnesota (west central, Henning) to Montana (Livingston, the original gateway to Yellowstone). In MN, we boarded horses, I trained for the public and my own, and we held cattle/horse competitions. Then my husband was offered a job in MT. We have always talked about moving west. So within a month we had to sell our 3 horses, find someone to lease our farm and take over our boarding business so that our clients didn't have to find a new barn. We weren't sure were we were even going to be living when we got out here. At first we stayed with some friends and then found a house in TOWN to rent. I have never lived in town before, I have always lived on a farm! But now we are moving again, hopefully if it all works out, to a place just outside of town that has 15 acres and is set up for horses. I have been out trying to find a couple of good horses that can be ridden in the mountains. I have tried out a few but there just are not that many for sale out here or at least ones that I have heard about. I am hoping to have a new house and horses by the end of February!! I WANT TO RIDE! I can't wait to have chores again. It is just very weird not having to go out and do chores!

I would love to meet new horse people!
  • Capone007
    Capone007 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I started riding when I was 2 1/2. I currently own an 8 y/o OTTB and we compete in jumpers and dressage. I haven't been able to ride for over 2 months now because of a herniated disc in my neck, but hope to be back up there very soon! Please add me as a friend, I'd love to have more horse people! :)