HELP, IN NEED OF A SUBSTITUTE FOR TORTILLA CHIPS!

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Can you still eat them, just eat less of them? And stick with the salsa, but careful on the refried beans.
  • traceygilmore
    Options
    One more comment to add, instead of refried beans, purchase a can of black beans, measure out how many you want, place them in a bowl and mash them. They totally satisfy my craving for refried beans. I actually mix the mashed beans with picante sauce. 2 Tbsp mashed black beans combined with 2 Tbsp picante sauce and 7 regular Mission tortilla chips is only 108 calories, and a very satisfying snack.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Popcorners (they are so amazing!!), pretzel crisps, or pita chips (gotta read the labels on these some are not as "good" as they're implied to be).

Forgot one more...Veggie straws or veggie chips! Mmmmm
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Ok. this is nothing like tortilla chips, but I make Kale Chips all the time and my kids actually love them. just get a head of kale, cut the big ribs out, spray with misto and bank for about 10 minutes at 350. Add sea salt. Super light and does it for the crunchy salty for me.
  • jessewallewein4
    Options
    Zuchinni Chips!!!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Special K has these things called cracker chips and you get like 30 of them for 110 cal. They satisfy your salty and crunchy craving and they have a few different flavors. My fav is sour cream and onion.

Those sound sooo good!

They are when they go down but the after taste is something to be desired...
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    la reina's baked tortilla chips are pretty darn good.

still, portion control is better, as an ounce of garden of eatin organic blue corn tortilla chips satisfy the soul ;-)
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Organic blue corn chips have far less sodium and calories. Make a mango salsa and you'll never miss the other chips.
  • swoldiergirl
    swoldiergirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I purchased Maseca mix and make fresh ones at home. Definitely not as good for you as simply not eating chips, but I love the fact that I control the flavoring and crispiness.
  • vickish76
    vickish76 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet as I skipped to the end of the thread but there are some Olive Oil Chips from Food Should Taste Good that seem to be a little better for you that the standard big bag of tortilla chips for $2. I love them...
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I'm in need of a good substitute for tortilla chips! I LOVE tortilla chips but they are getting the better of me and ruining my diet. I really enjoy them with re fried beans and salsa. Can anyone think of a substitute that is a little salty, but less in calories...and maybe even good for you???? Thanks all!

How about broccoli?
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Ever try Beanitos? I love those. My favorites are the pinto bean ones with sea salt.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mission Extra-Thin corn tortillas - cut them into triangles and bake them until they're crunchy (super easy in the toaster oven). 2 tortillas (about 12 chips) for 80 calories
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Get whole wheat tortillas (I like "La tortilla factory low carb")
    Cut them into triangle shapes and bake in the oven!

My favorite chip substitute is cucumber slices. Crunchy!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    These:
    http://www.chifleschips.com/

Not sure if they are healthier but they are amazing.

The no salt variety is great for crunchy emergencies. :laugh:
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try sliced cucumber with sea salt.

Totally agree! Although if your having the beans and salsa with, I would say, you probably don't need the salt as much as you think you do. Try the cucumbers with and without salt, see if you really need the extra salt. Another idea, there is hummus chips and lentil chips (have more protein) and instead of salsa, have you ever tried fresh pico de gallo. Life changer!!! Its delish and taste super fresh!
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Almond Thins (Blue Diamond - Almond Nut-thins Gluten-free Crackers Hint of Sea Salt) and I told my boyfriend last night that they really remind me of tortilla chips! They have a thicker consistency, but the flavor is similar to me. He didn't really agree, but who cares? Lol!

130 calories gets you about 30 chips. I eat them with salsa - because it's so low in calories and sometimes guacamole or laughing cow garlic cheese wedges, which are only 35 calories each when I want a more substantial snack.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Another vote for bake-your-own from corn or whole wheat tortillas. Even if you give them a light coat of cooking oil spray, you're still not getting the calories of the commercial variety.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use steamed edamame in the pods with grinded sea salt for my fix. It doesn't help with the salsa craving, but it definitely helps with something to munch on and that's salty. I also like popcorn in the mini bags, but they usually don't have enough salt to replace tortilla chips.

Although I will say, I quite enjoy going to On the Border for tortilla chips and salsa. I just figure out how to fit it in that day. I can't buy them though. Buying them causes problems for me.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Good news you have identified a trigger food. Your goal now is not to find an alternative to continue eating with fewer calories; your goal is to learn to control the craving that keeps you from stopping at the proper amount. That is the key problem. Learn to control you and keep eating tortilla chips. Stop when you are supposed to and WIN a huge battle.