Body Weight Exercises

Options
2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lunges were the devil to me when I first started. Every time I started them I would think about how much I hated them and I ended up channeling that in order to make it through them. Then one day I realized that they had gotten so much easier and I actually enjoyed them.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I been doing the Convict Conditioning program for the last 5 months. It's $8 for a kindle version of the book. I've been having good results.

However, I just started the startbodyweight.com shoulder progression because the Convict Conditioning program holds off on this area for awhile and I still need to develop it. So, take that's for what it's worth.

Also, I had to do 100 lunges in a week for a fitness competition and I ended up liking them at the end of the week. They feel more martial art/dance-like now that a suckity suck exercise.
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Here is a routine that I do at home from time to time:

10 push-ups
    10 sit-ups
    10 air squats (sometimes I do dips off the coffee table instead of dips)
    That constitutes one round. Do that for 10 rounds and time yourself.

No equipment necessary and very low impact.

yeah i couldn't do 10 rounds of this... maybe 3 ... but I could work on that :)
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Graet advise thank you guys so much!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    google convict conditioning or you are your own gym.

Look on fitnessblender.com and search for workouts without equipment

This^

Also rosstraining is a resource. I think his book is called Never Gymless?

You should check out Waldo's site too. This article is a good place to start:

http://strengthunbound.com/bodyweight-strength-training-beginners-guide/

I have Never Gymless. It's an excellent resource but as a newbie, I needed a more targeted routine. The six exercises of CC really help me stay on track in terms of know what I'm doing and why.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Lunges were the devil to me when I first started. Every time I started them I would think about how much I hated them and I ended up channeling that in order to make it through them. Then one day I realized that they had gotten so much easier and I actually enjoyed them.

The problem I have with lunges is that they pull the muscles in my feet which aggravates my heel spurs. Not fun. I've modified them a bit with a step stool. It doesn't have quite the same effect but I figure its better than nothing.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

This^

I have Never Gymless. It's an excellent resource but as a newbie, I needed a more targeted routine. The six exercises of CC really help me stay on track in terms of know what I'm doing and why.

I agree that it's not great for a beginner to pick up and start doing a programme.

It is however full of great info and is something I've been meaning to re-read for a while!
  • likitisplit
    Options

The problem I have with lunges is that they pull the muscles in my feet which aggravates my heel spurs. Not fun. I've modified them a bit with a step stool. It doesn't have quite the same effect but I figure its better than nothing.

You need to stretch your hamstrings.
  • likitisplit
    Options

This^

I agree that it's not great for a beginner to pick up and start doing a programme.

It is however full of great info and is something I've been meaning to re-read for a while!

Totally agree with that! Once I master the basics, it'll be priceless.
  • yenifont
    yenifont Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im copying you.. Im gonna start doing that !!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TJWrites00
    TJWrites00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

How does stretching my hamstrings keep lunges from pulling at the muscles in my feet? :huh: Anyway, there are plenty of exercises that work the legs and butt, lunges aren't necessary.
  • likitisplit
    Options

How does stretching my hamstrings keep lunges from pulling at the muscles in my feet? :huh: Anyway, there are plenty of exercises that work the legs and butt, lunges aren't necessary.

http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/Overcoming_Plantar_Fascitis.shtml

Loose hamstrings are always good though.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I want to find a body weight exericse routine that I can do at home to start to build muscle. Going to the gym isn't an option at this time and I don't have fancy equitment.

I'm finding hundreds of body weight exercises, but I don't know which ones to put together I guess? Anyone know where I could get help with this - an app or website or something?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned leanitup.com but they have some great routines. As well as pinterest :smile: